Sennheiser Momentum problem with mono sound when connected to non portable device
Mar 24, 2013 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

RConsten

New Head-Fier
Hello all.

I've bought myself the sennheiser momentum headphone a couple of weeks ago. I would like to start of to say that I'm really happy with it. I like the sound quality and the beautiful design.

There's only one problem with this product. When I have the 3.5mm jack with the control buttons connected to the headphone it works fine for my phone and other portable devices.

However if I connect it to my computer output, it starts to get mono sound. (Really low quality and heard from only right side. ) I've noticed if you push the answering button on the control its stereo again. Same story happens when its connected to my amplifier.

Luckily there's a second 3.5mm cable without the controls in the box that solves this problem for now. This one gives me stereo on all outputs.

Still I would like to know why this would happen and if there's a solution to it.
Is there anyone else that experienced this?
Any thoughts why it happens?

Hopefully I will be getting some answers and thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Remco C

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #2 of 4
I'd take a guess and say that the problem is that cable with the controls is a three ring cable, while the plain cable is only two rings.  That means when you push the 3 ring cable in to your computer it's only making a connection with one side of the phones.  You probably aren't getting mono, but rather either the left of the right channel only (I can't remember which).
Try this: when you have the 3 ring cable connected (the one with the controls) to your headphones plug it into the computer and start some music.  Then pull it out just a little bit.  I bet that the other channel suddenly kicks in and the headphones sound normal. 

No problem with either headphone or computer - just a plug mismatch.

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks ddoyle777

I've already tried to pull the plug a little bit. Didn't gave me a good result either. (It just switches to the onboard speaker in the computer very easily )
I can imagine that the three rings will give the problem indeed.
Not sure, but could be. Haven't checked if it got three yet.
If so.. do you know if there's something like an adapter for this conversation?

Mar 25, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #4 of 4
I haven't found an adapter.  I use an extension cord when I want to listen from my desktop amp and I have the same problem.
I think there might be a market for one though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back