Sennheiser Momentum over-ear low volume with Realtek ALC1150
Dec 16, 2014 at 11:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ChristianM

100+ Head-Fier
Hi  everyone. I just got my Sennheiser Momentum Over-ear headphones. I like the sound of it out of the box, light bit tight fit to my head but not much. also I know the sounds gonna improve over time. but I got one problem, the sound is very low with my Asus Maximus VI motherboard, Realtek ALC1150, even lower than my old Beats Studio.
Is this Realtek or what. I've been thinking about Sound Blaster Z. my cousin is coming from Canada. will that sound card can make difference. kindly need your help with this. thank you.

Dec 16, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #2 of 5
  Hi  everyone. I just got my Sennheiser Momentum Over-ear headphones. I like the sound of it out of the box, light bit tight fit to my head but not much. also I know the sounds gonna improve over time. but I got one problem, the sound is very low with my Asus Maximus VI motherboard, Realtek ALC1150, even lower than my old Beats Studio.
Is this Realtek or what. I've been thinking about Sound Blaster Z. my cousin is coming from Canada. will that sound card can make difference. kindly need your help with this. thank you.

Sometimes when the impedance (Ohms) of the source (motherboard on-board audio) is higher then the impedance of the headphones, the headphones have a problem with getting loud.
The 18-Ohm Momentum really seem to be designed to work off portable audio sources (smartphone, iPhone, iPod, etc), which usually have a very low output impedance, like under 10-Ohms.
(Technically, with 18-Ohm headphones, you would want a source with an output impedance of 2.25-Ohms or less (but nothing perfect).
Where as your motherboard's on-board audio output could be (wild guess) 40-Ohms or higher.
A FiiO E11K headphone amplifier ($60), has an output impedance of less then 1-Ohm :)
So plug the E11K into your motherboard and your headphones into the E11K.
The Sound Blaster Z headphone output has an impedance of 22.-Ohms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back