Sennheiser Momentum or V-Moda M-100
Sep 11, 2014 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MetalHead4Life

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm kinda on the fence between these two great cans, I know both are great and around the same price (Momentums are cheaper on Amazon.com). The biggest thing is I listen to A LOT of Metal and Rock and some Classical/Symphonic music (Disturbed, SOAD, Metallica, Megadeth to name a few bands) and from what I've seen, the Momentums are the better when it comes to sound quality. I like the looks on the M-100 and the Momentum but I just cannot decide. Right now I am leaning a little more towards the M-100 because of customization options, build, and punchy full sounding quality. Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

Sep 11, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #2 of 6
I have the Momentums and love the sound. The only ones I can compare it to is the Beyer DT-1350 (on ear). I like the Beyers but I think the Senns are better across the spectrum especially in the bass area. The only thing about the Momentums is that the ear pads do not fully cover the ears; however, I got used to it. they are very comfortable to wear and I wear them while I jog and workout at the gym.

Sep 18, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #4 of 6
Both of these cans sound light and airy (thin and delicate) to my ears, great for classical and light jazz. For metal I like a fuller sound that extends deeper without sacrificing detail...would recommend something like the ATH-ES10 (there is a world of difference between these and the Momentum).

Sep 18, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 6
Theres also the yamaha pro 500(you can find these new on ebay for a big discount) if you want something bassy. If you want something pretty balanced, theres also the nad viso hp50.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/706770/nad-hp50s-vs-momentums-a-short-review-comparison

Sep 25, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #6 of 6
I'd go with Momentums.
Tried the 3 NAD HP50, M-100, Momentums over ear just recently. They were burned in at the shop as all of them were on display a long time since.
Anyway if you listen for harshness at the end of the voices like what you'd hear on hd800 and grado ps1000, you'd find a similar harshness on NAD.
Overall it's a good impactful sound but not good enough as the tss at the end of every word when listening to "loungey" music be very irritating.
Vmoda m100 has bigger bass body, NAD has more impact but not much extension, momentum rumbles. Where they differ is the NAD is clearer but harsher, m100 is more recessed with other parts of the music and momentum seems to have a better handling of the harshness in the end.
I feel momentum strikes the best balance sound and price wise. Big bass and good control. Hp50 would be more lively though.
If you got better budget go for Oppo PM2 :)
It's wayy better than hd800 and ps1000. Try it out though as I judged these cans based on the bass delivery and harshness at the end of the singers voice.. As those two factors for me are quite important.
Good bass holds the music, harshness destroys the enjoyment.
Hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back