Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear Impressions
Aug 3, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #31 of 581
Quote:
The scenario you describe sounds like some kind of headphone enthusiast Jorge Luis Borges story...

Specifically, it reminds me of the passage from "The Library of Babel" in Ficciones which describes a book with an infinite number of pages: one page can be separated into two, two into four, and so on. 

"Tlön, Ubqar, Orbis Tertius" also applies for obvious reasons!

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #32 of 581
Interesting. I used to own the momentums but sold them off because they were uncomfortable with my glasses for portable use. Will be interested to hear these. Doubt they'll convince me to not use my Westone 4 but might be good for the younger brother.

Aug 3, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #33 of 581
The sound of the original Momentum and the small brother is totally different. I think if you are using Westone 4 , then you will not like the on-ear momentum as it is bass elevated( way more than Beats) and the Over-Ear Momentum is kind of warmer sounding and balanced with Bass emphasize but not too much.

Joshua, KevinR3i
(please excuse my exotic broken english).

Aug 3, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #35 of 581
One thing I should specify is that out of all my friends in that group I am the one who probably listens to the most hip hop or electronic music.

I think we were all taken aback by the bass response on the On-Ear, considering that it is stronger than the Momentum (which is pretty neutral in terms of bass) and the Amperior (which is actually has a slightly elevated bass response). For the music that they listen to, it wasn't a great match. Even for electronic music I find it a bit overbearing at times. The scooped mids also bug me a little.

I can tell you that I have been listening to them since then and my opinion hasn't really changed. Burn in or not, no one has ever claimed that burn in dramatically changes the basic signature of a headphone. If it did, they would probably burn it in in the factory since most people buy or return things based on first impression.

My opinion is heading towards the idea that the On-Ear is a well built headphone with a articulate and lively sound but you have to really, really like your bass. In many ways it seems like the antithesis of what the over-ear Mometum's signature stands for.

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #36 of 581
Great panel review, a_recording.  I like the fact that you got several impressions at once from all of your friends in a single video.  

Looking at the video, it looks like the headband on the On-Ear model is the same as the standard Momentum.  Is that right?

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #37 of 581
Quote:
Great panel review, a_recording.  I like the fact that you got several impressions at once from all of your friends in a single video.  
Looking at the video, it looks like the headband on the On-Ear model is the same as the standard Momentum.  Is that right?

Thanks! I definitely would not have done this video if it was just my early impressions, since they can always be quite far off. With a few people's opinions you are in safer territory.

Just comparing them now, the metal part of the headband is thinner on the On-Ear but the actual padded headband part is seemingly exactly the same size. Fits very comfortably on the head just like the normal Momentum.

Aug 3, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #39 of 581
Quote:

I can tell you that I have been listening to them since then and my opinion hasn't really changed. Burn in or not, no one has ever claimed that burn in dramatically changes the basic signature of a headphone. If it did, they would probably burn it in in the factory since most people buy or return things based on first impression.

It must not be burn in then since you've listened to them for a while now but about the burn in topic, I mentioned it because some headphones do change a lot. It has happened to me once where a headphone sounded so bright, harsh, and echoey, it sounded like it was broken. My Sennheiser hd555 was like that. After 100hrs, the headphone was warm and smooth. Totally different cans.

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #40 of 581
I've only heard any Beats models on retailers test displays and everyone I've listened to have much more bass than the on-ears. Does the Beats Studio have a lot less bass that other models?

Also, I note some reviewers suggest these might suit bass heavy songs. I don't listen to much bass heavy music so maybe that's part of why I don't find them overly bass heavy.

Let me reiterate, these are not my critical listening phones. Of course there are better phones out there but I'm going to give them a chance to break in a bit to hear how things go. For the most part, I will use them like some others here have suggested, as fun, casual phones that doesn't require me to break out an amp or best recordings. I find them best for streaming and so on.

Aug 4, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #41 of 581
Quote:
Also, I note some reviewers suggest these might suit bass heavy songs. I don't listen to much bass heavy music so maybe that's part of why I don't find them overly bass heavy.

I think I would refine my statement to this: the on-ears suit songs where increased bass would work as an 'effect' (like synthesised tones or machine drums) but not in music where the bass is not supposed to draw attention (having an especially loud bass guitar line etc).

I did some more listening in the city today and do agree that these work well as casual cans, especially on tracks where there is a strong degree of dynamic compression and the on-ears restore more excitement to the track.

Aug 4, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #43 of 581
Quote:
@a_recording, can you please do a quick comparo with the ES700? Many thanks

Sorry, I don't have the ES700 on hand to compare directly. The ES700 is definitely flatter though.

My immediate instinct is to say that unless comfort is a huge priority, the ES700 is the much safer buy.

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #44 of 581
Sorry, I don't have the ES700 on hand to compare directly. The ES700 is definitely flatter though.

My immediate instinct is to say that unless comfort is a huge priority, the ES700 is the much safer buy.
Thank you a_recording! I already own the ES700 and was looking for a reference for the Momentum. I've tried the over the ear Momentum and they fit great around my ears but didn't listen to them. The display in the store didn't allow it.

Also I'm using my ES700 with the ws99 earpads and I have no comfort problem. :)

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #45 of 581
Quote:
Thank you a_recording! I already own the ES700 and was looking for a reference for the Momentum. I've tried the over the ear Momentum and they fit great around my ears but didn't listen to them. The display in the store didn't allow it.

Why on earth would they let you put it on your ears but not listen to it???

Oh wait. You mean the physical display didn't let you plug the cable in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back