Sennheiser Momentum M2 vs Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) P7
Oct 19, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #17 of 32
Sadly, I can't help with a comparison - but I can post my experience with the M2 so far, which I own for 4 days now. I have to admit that, whilst I do have an ear for fine details, I am not an audiophile and therefore (probably yet) have no real high end equipment to compare with. I'm also rather new to this site, even though I have used it to research choices for a long while now, so please forgive me if what I write is redundant or obvious.

Overall, I really like the sound signature, but it seems to me as if a certain quality of the source is necessary to really get them to sound right. My experiences in the past never showed such a drastic difference when changing source devices. They sound their best on my PC's soundcard, an Asus Xonar DX. My smartphone (Moto G 2nd generation) and my notebook are no good, there is absolutely no enjoyment to be had there. It is passable with my MP3 player (Sony NWZ-E384), though. It seems as if the sound signature is very "dense" with bad sources, with everything being mashed together to a degree, which, for me, makes it exhausting to listen for longer periods. This is disappointing, because I was looking forward to using these cans on my laptop when studying at the university. Things change completely with a good source though (if my soundcard qualifies as good for you guys, that is). They sound much clearer and more airy.

So, if you commute you'll probably have to invest in a good DAP - but hey, this head-fi, so you probably have that anyway :)

Nov 4, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #18 of 32
Very interesting reading.

I´m up for new cans and both P7 and M2 are on my list.
Today I have Philips Fidelio M2 together with iPhone 6 and FIIO X1.
I really like the sound from my Fidelio, but the pressure on my ears after one+ hours listening is not pleasant....

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #19 of 32
P7 is the way to go if you want comfort, as the M2 still suffers from pressure after an hour or two.

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #20 of 32
Focal Spirit Classic could be considered as well. Arguably better sound than these two, if not quite the build quality

Nov 8, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #21 of 32
P7 and M2 (over ear) owner. I like p7 more :). I use p7 at home and m2 at the office. But both are great earphones. M2 to thin cable. P7 better remote. P7 more comfortable for me. P7 sounds better for me.

But I am just music lover:)

Source IPad mini 4. iPhone 5s. Fiio E10. All great with this earphones

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nov 14, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #22 of 32
Not long ago I bought several new headphones to try to find something to complement my P7's.  In the end, I kept the Denon MM400.  The M2 was a close third behind the P7 and MM400.  I thought the M2 was best in initial comfort, but not for long sessions.  M2 was best for bass quantity, but not quality.  For all around music enjoyment, I like the P7 and MM400 more.  Just don't make me pick between the P7 and MM400.  In honesty, you can't go wrong with any of the 3.  You only find the differences if you can listen to them all side by side for an extended time.

Nov 15, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #23 of 32
Not long ago I bought several new headphones to try to find something to complement my P7's.  In the end, I kept the Denon MM400.  The M2 was a close third behind the P7 and MM400.  I thought the M2 was best in initial comfort, but not for long sessions.  M2 was best for bass quantity, but not quality.  For all around music enjoyment, I like the P7 and MM400 more.  Just don't make me pick between the P7 and MM400.  In honesty, you can't go wrong with any of the 3.  You only find the differences if you can listen to them all side by side for an extended time.

Exactly m2 bass quantity but not quality :grinning:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mar 23, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #25 of 32
I had these 2 on my shortlist too. The P7 or M2, but the wired one or wireless.
I listened to the wired M2's in a shop. I quite liked the sound. 
Somehow, after some comparing and reading i decided to go with the P7. It's maybe not completely run-in yet (how long does that take?) and it's good ... but not great. The sound's a bit muddy to my ears. I've always had IEM's and i feel i get a better experience and sound with them. But my favorite Audeo PFE-232 with custom molds decided to stop playing on the right side. 

But i'm gonna send the P7's back probably and try the M2's. Any suggestions for the wired or wireless one? Does the NoiseCancellation affect the sound quality like with Bose Quietcomfort's?

Mar 23, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #26 of 32
I would recommend the Wireless M2s over the Wired version every time. The only difference between the two models is the presence of microchips and a battery in the wireless version, so you're getting the same sound when using the wired version passive with the cable. With the Wireless model, you have the option to turn on noise cancelling while wired, as well as using it full noise cancelling/bluetooth mode.

The noise cancelling barely has any affect on the sound, which makes these headphones so remarkable. I'd even argue that the noise cancelling improves the sound in certain settings (i.e. noisy environments + noise cancelling > noisy environments + passive). Granted, the noise cancelling isn't particularly aggressive. It's only meant to reduce background noises like engines and traffic, and not voices and loud sudden sounds. A lot of people complain that the noise cancelling is "inferior", as if they use the headphone in lieu of earplugs.

Mar 24, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #28 of 32
  Thanks for the info.
The Wireless is 130 euro more expensive. Have to consider if it's worth to me. I'm not going to use it often i think. I'll think about it.

Indeed. I think it's worth it!

Apr 26, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #29 of 32
 A couple weeks ago I spent an hour or so at a local Best Buy comparing the BW P7 and Momentum M2 (Ipod rockboxed - flac files) and though I went back and forth I went with the Momentum's in the end, mid-bass through mid hi's was a bit more engaging - and they were $228 vs $325 for the BW's. Been enjoying them with an Audioquest Dragon ver 1 through my computers ever since. No regrets.

Nov 27, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #30 of 32
Hi all, I know this thread is a little old now but I'm looking between the P7s and M2s at the moment myself. I've taken on all of what has been said in this thread but just need to know is the £79 price between the two really justified for the P7s? John Lewis (and Amazon, but I prefer to avoid using them due to their tax affairs if possible) both have deals on the M2 where they throw in a pair of M2 IEIs at no extra cost. Now I already use Shure SE215s for commuting/the gym etc as the noise isolation is excellent in them, but I thought selling the M2 IEIs off would be some way of offsetting the cost of the purchase, obviously this isn't an option with the P7s.

I had a listen with both in John Lewis today and couldn't tell a great difference between them, although this was only for around 20 minutes and in a noisy department store so I know it's not an ideal test.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back