Sennheiser Momentum M2 vs Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) P7
Feb 12, 2015 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

devilmonk

100+ Head-Fier
Which is the better closed headphone? I'm in the market, and both are in the same price range. 

This thread mainly talks about how the momentums are too small / uncomfortable, and the case is too bulky. However all that is fixed in the Sennheiser M2. 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/690029/sennheiser-momentum-vs-bowers-wilkins-b-w-p7

I'll be using 320 Kbps, unless I find the flac version.
Will be used portable, but 90% of the time on my computer. Computer has a Dac/Amp (Asus Xonar), nothing too fancy but much better than onboard sound quality. Portable use will be off iphone 5.

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #2 of 32
Note that Apple stores often have the P7 available for demo. If you have one in the area, might see if they have to listen to.

Feb 13, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 32
Hmm, the apple store's are pretty far. Last time I was there they didn't have those headphones though.

Curious if anyone knows, but how is the soundstage / instrument separation on both those headphones?

I returned my Soundmagic HP150 recently due to very bad build quality on the rotating piece holding the cups, the lack of bass, and the bulkyness of it in general made it look stupid in public. (Returned it for mainly the first reason). But the upper-mids, highs, vocals, and especially the soundstage was very nice on those cans.

Feb 13, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 32
  Hmm, the apple store's are pretty far. Last time I was there they didn't have those headphones though.

Curious if anyone knows, but how is the soundstage / instrument separation on both those headphones?

I returned my Soundmagic HP150 recently due to very bad build quality on the rotating piece holding the cups, the lack of bass, and the bulkyness of it in general made it look stupid in public. (Returned it for mainly the first reason). But the upper-mids, highs, vocals, and especially the soundstage was very nice on those cans.

I really like the sound of the P7's and did not like the original momentums (not heard M2). I like the open Soundmagic HP200, so if you liked the HP150's we may have similar tastes, if so I would advise the P7's. No, those soundmagics are really not for walking around.

My walkaround's are the set I was recommended as a cheaper alternative to the P7's, the Donscorpio Dolphins, a great closed headphone for $99.

May 29, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #7 of 32
I own both the M2 and the P7 - not sure of the threadstarter is interested in this anymore, but maybe others are.

Right off the bat, I'll say that neither headset is a clear winner over the other: they're both high-quality and sound great, with exceptional build quality.

Fit-wise, the P7s don't expand nearly as large as the M2s, and the earcups, while luxurious, are much stiffer on the P7. The M2s are much lighter and gently clamp the head. The P7s do feel more robust, however. The M2s have a larger earcup, but the P7s are plenty big (with more room at toward the driver than at the earcup opening). The M2s have a memory foam earpad, and the P7s. They're both leather, so the choice is between memory foam and regular foam. The M2s are definitely the more comfortable of the two, even if the P7s feel a little more luxurious.

Sound-wise, I think they're two views of a similar sound signature. The P7 is a warm headphone that's extremely even; it's not lacking any treble, but there's no particular emphasis in any one area. The bass goes deep, but it's not overly hard-hitting or boomy. It's about as high-res as you can get without sounding overtly bright.

Using the P7s as a reference point, I will say that the M2s have a more present, aggressive upper midrange profile. I don't want to say it's 'clearer', as nary a detail is missed on either headset, but the M2 has a sonic profile in which details just jump out at you. Some might call that 'fun' or 'sculpted' - I just think they sound great. The lows don't seem as omnipresently thick as they are on the P7, but they're just as deep and very, very dynamic. Kicks jump into your ears without overwhelming anything else.

The soundstage on both sets are exceptional for a closed set. I think the M2 has a little more separation between instruments, but the P7 has an slightly wider soundstage overall. Not sure if that makes sense. I'd call neither headset bright, but I wouldn't dream of calling them dull, either.

Overall, I think the construction and fit is more of a difference maker than the sound. They both sound great - and if the construction of either device is something you're after, that's the one you're likely to prefer.

Verdict -
Get the P7s if you want: incredibly even treble response, an overall warm and even sound profile, a wide soundstage, robust construction
Get the M2s if you want: dynamic upper mid and bass response, uncluttered low mids, separation between instruments, extreme comfort, a large fit

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #8 of 32
Great post.  I have had P7's for close to 2 years now and I have never found anything to dethrone them.  Reading all the praise for the M2's has had me very curious.  I haven't had a chance to try any yet.  

Jul 31, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #9 of 32
  I own both the M2 and the P7 - not sure of the threadstarter is interested in this anymore, but maybe others are.

Right off the bat, I'll say that neither headset is a clear winner over the other: they're both high-quality and sound great, with exceptional build quality.

Fit-wise, the P7s don't expand nearly as large as the M2s, and the earcups, while luxurious, are much stiffer on the P7. The M2s are much lighter and gently clamp the head. The P7s do feel more robust, however. The M2s have a larger earcup, but the P7s are plenty big (with more room at toward the driver than at the earcup opening). The M2s have a memory foam earpad, and the P7s. They're both leather, so the choice is between memory foam and regular foam. The M2s are definitely the more comfortable of the two, even if the P7s feel a little more luxurious.

Sound-wise, I think they're two views of a similar sound signature. The P7 is a warm headphone that's extremely even; it's not lacking any treble, but there's no particular emphasis in any one area. The bass goes deep, but it's not overly hard-hitting or boomy. It's about as high-res as you can get without sounding overtly bright.

Using the P7s as a reference point, I will say that the M2s have a more present, aggressive upper midrange profile. I don't want to say it's 'clearer', as nary a detail is missed on either headset, but the M2 has a sonic profile in which details just jump out at you. Some might call that 'fun' or 'sculpted' - I just think they sound great. The lows don't seem as omnipresently thick as they are on the P7, but they're just as deep and very, very dynamic. Kicks jump into your ears without overwhelming anything else.

The soundstage on both sets are exceptional for a closed set. I think the M2 has a little more separation between instruments, but the P7 has an slightly wider soundstage overall. Not sure if that makes sense. I'd call neither headset bright, but I wouldn't dream of calling them dull, either.

Overall, I think the construction and fit is more of a difference maker than the sound. They both sound great - and if the construction of either device is something you're after, that's the one you're likely to prefer.

Verdict -
Get the P7s if you want: incredibly even treble response, an overall warm and even sound profile, a wide soundstage, robust construction
Get the M2s if you want: dynamic upper mid and bass response, uncluttered low mids, separation between instruments, extreme comfort, a large fit

Thanks for the write-up.  Which ones are lighter or more portable?  I take mass transit to work and would be wearing them then and in the office.
TIA

Jul 31, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #10 of 32
The M2s feel like a third of the weight of the P7s. Comfort-wise, it's not even close. Not only that, the M2 extends much larger, so you could even wear the headphones on top of a ball cap without issue. Portability-wise, they fold to roughly the same shape. The M2 comes with 2 cases, however.

I think the sound signatures are both close and are both of high-enough quality; the comfort level is the real separator. On a pure sound level, I'd prefer to listen to the P7s, but would totally be happy with either. Factoring in running around town, I'd take the M2s fifteen times over.

Now that I've spent more time with these cans, maybe I can simplify my sound observations somewhat: the P7s have a bit of a mid-bass bloat and scary-even treble. The M2s have less (but not no) mid-bass clutter, better sub-bass extension, but a bit of an 'exciting' high-mid (2-4kHz) presence. If I could pick a single attribute that's best from the two headphones' best features, it would be the P7's treble response. If I could pick a single attribute that's worst from the two headphones' worst features, it's the P7's mid-bass response. What the M2 does better isn't better than what the P7 does best.

Construction-wise, what would you rather experience: robust, meticulous construction (the P7s), or forgetting they're on (the M2s)?

Jul 31, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #11 of 32
  The M2s feel like a third of the weight of the P7s. Comfort-wise, it's not even close. Not only that, the M2 extends much larger, so you could even wear the headphones on top of a ball cap without issue. Portability-wise, they fold to roughly the same shape. The M2 comes with 2 cases, however.

I think the sound signatures are both close and are both of high-enough quality; the comfort level is the real separator. On a pure sound level, I'd prefer to listen to the P7s, but would totally be happy with either. Factoring in running around town, I'd take the M2s fifteen times over.

Now that I've spent more time with these cans, maybe I can simplify my sound observations somewhat: the P7s have a bit of a mid-bass bloat and scary-even treble. The M2s have less (but not no) mid-bass clutter, better sub-bass extension, but a bit of an 'exciting' high-mid (2-4kHz) presence. If I could pick a single attribute that's best from the two headphones' best features, it would be the P7's treble response. If I could pick a single attribute that's worst from the two headphones' worst features, it's the P7's mid-bass response. What the M2 does better isn't better than what the P7 does best.

Construction-wise, what would you rather experience: robust, meticulous construction (the P7s), or forgetting they're on (the M2s)?

Thanks again for the details!  I think for commuting purposes its going to be the M2's.  I assume both isolate (loud train noises) equally well - should have asked that too.

Jul 31, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #12 of 32
I only have the M2 because of the whole M2 wireless debacle (it's a loaner until they figure out what's wrong with the M2 wireless), which I bought strictly for commuting. It was going to be M2 wireless for the train, and P7 for the office. Now, I'm using IE80s for the train, the M2 for the office, and the P7 for home. Overkill, I know haha.

EDIT: missed the isolation bit -they're both sealed, yes, but the P7 isn't exceptional at isolation. I'd say the M2 is a better isolator there (the P7's lack of isolation is by design allegedly), but it's not exactly noise-cancelling either. Neither are amazing, but the M2 is a little better.

Sep 9, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #15 of 32
Random update, Inner Fidelity has the frequency response charts up for the M2 wired (and wireless) and P7s.

Here's the M2 Wired:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserMomentumM2.pdf

Here's the P7:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BowersWilkinsP7.pdf

These seem to reflect everyone's observations. The P7s are definitely weightier in the lows, and the M2s have a bit of an upper mid presence that the P7s slightly lack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back