Sennheiser Momentum impressions thread
Jun 1, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #78 of 931
Quote:
I sadly do not have the option to try before I buy
frown.gif

Try an apple store. I saw momentum black in an apple store in London

Jun 1, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #79 of 931
Ive tried both the line only and line with mic and ive noticed the line only cord sounds quite a bit better, and I also noticed my htc one's volume changes to the volume level it was at when I last plugged each cord. For example the mic cord volume was at 10 and my non mic cord was at 3 if i plug the mic cord in my volume will move to 10 and if i plug the non mic cord it would go back to 3, i found this very interesting

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #80 of 931
Amazing headphone. Switched to it when I returned my beautiful but extremely finnicky AKG K550's. These are just so much easier to listen to and enjoy. Not quite as flat response, but more fun to listen to.

Jun 8, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #81 of 931
Quote:
go_quote.gif

Amazing headphone. Switched to it when I returned my beautiful but extremely finnicky AKG K550's. These are just so much easier to listen to and enjoy. Not quite as flat response, but more fun to listen to.

+1, usually the case with Senns vs AKG, fun vs analytical.

Jun 8, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #82 of 931
I was just thinking: does anyone worry about the chords that go from the ear cups through the headband? One of mine is bent/coiled in such a way that it rests on the headband metal, and I worry it will wear. I'm probably being too OCD.

Jun 14, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #84 of 931
So I have about 10 days left in my 2 month time frame to return the Sennheiser Amperiors to VMinnovations. I can either return them for a full refund in store credit and pay for the Momentums for 245 dollars (I originally paid 175 for  the amperior). I want to decide if it would be a huge upgrade in sound. I imagine the sound stage would be a big difference. I listen to a lot of different kinds of music 

Including most of the things on this chart. So i want to decide if I should upgrade or not, because if the sound quality is better I'm definitely sold, because my ears are sore from wearing the amperiors sometimes.

Jun 15, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #85 of 931
I seriously don't see the appeal of the Sennheiser Momentum at the pricepoint that they're at. For 150$ I can see them competing with some big names but honestly...they just seem average. Warm, treble roll offs a tad bit. 
It's extremely conflicting when people review these and give them praise in the droves, and then I find objective measurements that show them to just be, well...consumerish
http://en.goldenears.net/19104

Jun 15, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #86 of 931
I seriously don't see the appeal of the Sennheiser Momentum at the pricepoint that they're at. For 150$ I can see them competing with some big names but honestly...they just seem average. Warm, treble roll offs a tad bit. 

It's extremely conflicting when people review these and give them praise in the droves, and then I find objective measurements that show them to just be, well...consumerish

I don't know. I've bought mine for around 250 euros, and I don't really think they are worth less than that. You know, sound quality is really good, but it's also design, materials and build quality. Momentums have exquisite build quality, something you will not see in any existing headphones (costing less than 1k). Believe me, even if they were not giving any sound, their look it-self is worth a lot of money. But they indeed sound great with mobile phone or laptop.

Jun 15, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #87 of 931
I'm new to this, but isn't an "appreciation thread" for people who like the headphone?

But I understand your viewpoint, wafflezz - the measurements and objective data don't back up this headphone as a good one. I wasn't convinced, and stayed away, instead buying a AKG K550 at first. When I found I didn't love that headphone, I tried the Momentum - and I haven't looked back.

All I can say is that there must be some variable, some unrecognized metric that explains why these headphones sound so damn good to me. If we look at frequency responses curves, then no, it's not perfect. But somehow, every bit of music that comes out of them sounds brilliant - TO ME. This has to be one of the most subjective listening experiences I've ever seen - the opinions don't make sense in light of the data, but you should understand that there are many of us who were skeptical and are skeptical no longer. It really is a headphone you should listen to yourself.

Jun 15, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #88 of 931
Ah! I can't decide whether I want the Momentum or not and I have 2 days to decide whether I should return the Amperiors for a refund or put the money towards getting the Momentums! 

Jun 15, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #89 of 931
Quote:

Yep, they're pretty much consumerish. But that doesn't mean they aren't the best closed portables, period.
They don't excel at anything but they do some things uniquely well. And they look and feel great, of course.
And this is Head-fi (and audiophilia!), there will be always people giving them praise in droves, regardless of what they sound like, especially if they are expensive. That's one of the foundations of the audiophile market.

Their treble is quite unique, IMO. It rolls off too much, but in a natural "acoustic" kind of way, somewhat resembling electrostats. It feels extended and detailed, despite being rolled off. I think this is quite rare in dynamics. Unfortunately the flip side is that dip in the upper mids/lower treble which, like most dips, can actually go unnoticed unless you're looking for it. In pop and rock you certainly won't notice it, but with symphonic music it kinda feels like there are some missing violins.

The mids are great and another unique thing is that, despite being on the slow side, they are still thrilling. Maybe because they have very good dynamics. Soundstage is also probably one of the best for closed cans of this size.

The bass kinda ruins it. There's just too much of it, although it's a pretty decent bass, such a big quantity kinda masks its quality (and extension -- in some passages it feels quite extended, in others it feels all midbassy). The slowness doesn't help with the bass either.

At the end of the day, as I've stated elsewhere, for me their flaws are just too much for the price they're asking, but for, say 200€, they're OK. In fact, that was their promo price at the launch weekend here, and they're at 254€ now at Amazon Spain. If Sennheiser ever drops their price controls, their street price will probably end up around 200€ indeed.

Jun 16, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #90 of 931
Ah! I can't decide whether I want the Momentum or not and I have 2 days to decide whether I should return the Amperiors for a refund or put the money towards getting the Momentums! 

Well I have both the Momentum and the HD25-1 II, which are the forerunners to the Amperior, and have a very similar sound signature. Honestly I've gone back to the HD25. I found the Momentum just too heavy going with most genres other than electronica, where they excel. To my ears the HD25 takes any music you can throw at it and presents in a pacey, exciting and involving way. The momentum on the other hand I find dark, ploddy and hard work. I also find the soundstaging of the HD25 to be better with a greater sense of space, the momentum does have very good positioning, but the space isn't there for me.

Ultimately It comes down to your ears, but the one thing I would suggest to any potential Momentum owner is to listen to them first. I'm one of those who is somewhat baffled by the clean sweep of glowing reviews that the Momentum has had. They're not bad headphones at all, but in terms of sound they certainly not what they're cracked up to be IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back