Sennheiser Momentum impressions thread
Jun 11, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #451 of 931
I dont mind paying more for quality in most things, glasses are for sure one of them.  If you can get them lighter and more comfy then any extra cost is worth it within reason.  I wear mine all the time.  Thank you for the reccomendation and I will check them out as soon as I get home from work.  I appreciate it.   T

Jun 13, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #454 of 931
I tried the momentum again.

I have to equalize like this:

And when I mute the equalizer, they souds muffled to me.

I want to love them, I find them beautiful and comfortable but this is not the sound signature I like. Especially not for this price.
((even if there have significant qualities, do not misunderstand))

I think I will going back to the AKG K545.

This is exactly what I've found - that notch around 4 - 4.5KHz is a killer rendering them useless for any kind of critical listening (but then again critical listening is not the Momentums market)

Then again I have found a very good use for the Momentums. I do some electronica production and remixing from time to time and I use the momentums to assess how the mix will sound with the typical bass heavy sound you find on lifestyle type headphones. Often I've found that the mix just needs a bit of a boost here and and a bit of a cut there to be able to cut through on the momentums. From feedback I've had it seems that this appears to work for most lifestyle type headphones.

Jun 13, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #456 of 931
  Lol - why on earth are people using an amp with their momentums???

The question you should ask is: Why not?

Yes, it's only 16 Ohms and the impact of different amps is slight, it's still there. As you know, amps do color the sound to a certain extend, hence some people like the specific coloration. 

You have a Momentum? You have an amp? Try yourself. 

They don't need an amp to play loud for sure but if you like their sound better amped, why not? Especially when you see the crappy sound that sometimes comes out of standard headphone jacks....

Cheers,
K

Jun 13, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #457 of 931

The question you should ask is: Why not?

Yes, it's only 16 Ohms and the impact of different amps is slight, it's still there. As you know, amps do color the sound to a certain extend, hence some people like the specific coloration. 

You have a Momentum? You have an amp? Try yourself. 

They don't need an amp to play loud for sure but if you like their sound better amped, why not? Especially when you see the crappy sound that sometimes comes out of standard headphone jacks....

Cheers,
K

The question I will ask again is: why?

They don't scale at all in my opinion. So it seems a waste of time. Especially for something that was designed purely to be portable.

An Englishman in England
L3000.gif

Jun 13, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #458 of 931

They don't scale at all in my opinion. So it seems a waste of time. Especially for something that was designed purely to be portable.

An Englishman in England
L3000.gif

How did you get your opinion?
So you have the momentums with a specific source, then amped them and you have found no difference? Or are you just assuming that a 16 Ohm headphone does not scale at all? Then you would immediately render all portable amps for IEMs useless, which is not the case.

From the posting guidelines (just to make sure):
Please don't recommend equipment you don't own or otherwise don't have a reasonable amount of familiarity with. You wouldn't recommend someone a car you've never driven or suggest someone live in a country you haven't been to, so recommending headphones and equipment you haven't owned or used is unhelpful. Even if you've seen the same comments about something from a dozen members, save discussion of that if you're intending to buy it yourself.

Likewise, please avoid trashing equipment you haven't used or aren't familiar with. Having doubts about something you see in a design is fair enough, but to quote Robert Pirsig: "The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." So remember that you can derive satisfaction from listening with any audio gear as much from your appreciation of the design (whether how it looks or how it measures) as much as how it reproduces music.

Jun 13, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #459 of 931

Everything depends on the quality of the amp compared to the quality of the portable source ...
In the end the difference will be less obvious than with greediest headphones but far from being non-existent in most cases.

Jun 13, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #460 of 931
This is exactly what I've found - that notch around 4 - 4.5KHz is a killer rendering them useless for any kind of critical listening (but then again critical listening is not the Momentums market)

Then again I have found a very good use for the Momentums. I do some electronica production and remixing from time to time and I use the momentums to assess how the mix will sound with the typical bass heavy sound you find on lifestyle type headphones. Often I've found that the mix just needs a bit of a boost here and and a bit of a cut there to be able to cut through on the momentums. From feedback I've had it seems that this appears to work for most lifestyle type headphones.

Thank you for the feed-back.

I got a K545 again to compare.

In fact momentums are very good to me once equalized like that in my post. They are less detailed than the K545, and have less soundstage. But about that, they assume their quality of closed headphones and sound a lot more natural than the K545...
and also I am more immersed in the music with momentums. Hmm, a little more detailed momentum would be ideal... (maybe hd-25 ?)

Jun 13, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #461 of 931

An Englishman in England
L3000.gif

I use my Momentums (not on-ears) at work as they exclude more external sounds than any other of my phones; from my PC to external DAC + amp, or X3 as DAC/amp.
I find DAC and Amp worthwhile, Momentums are plenty good enough to warrant the extras.
I had the misfortune to hear Beats Studios on same set up (if that's what posters mean by "lifestyle") and don't really find any similarities in SQ between them and the Momentums.

Jun 13, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #462 of 931
I prefer pairing my Momentum with Theorem 720 than FiiO E18. Not a big difference in SQ but there is.

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #463 of 931

An Englishman in England:L3000:

I have 3 momentums.when I plug one into a Schiit Vali hybrid tube amp (which is connected to my 55 inch tv), the difference is night and day. It is hard to believe I am listening to the same headphone. No more mid bass hump. The soundstage explodes with wideness. It is really amazing.

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #464 of 931

I seem to recall you mentioning your Momentums opening up after some time. I've just picked up a pair and I was curious as to how you felt they change and roughly how much burn in they need?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back