Sennheiser Momentum impressions thread
Jun 4, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #436 of 931
  Aah, so your'e trying to get rid of "the notch" @ 4.5kHz 
wink_face.gif
Personally I'd rather live with the notch and avoid sibilance (and equalising).

I actually almost never use EQ just decided to experiment a bit 
atsmile.gif

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #437 of 931
I bought a pair of Momentums last month. I have an HD650 but I've been looking for a closed back headphone for portable use. When I first opened the box, I couldn't believe how small the ear cups were. I thought they'd sent me the on-ear Momentums by mistake! After a week of using them, I couldn't stand the size of the ear cups. It was pressing on my right ear a lot. I didn't have any problems on my left though. Maybe my left ear is smaller than my right? I feel like my ears are about average size. I liked the sound, but the comfort issue just got in the way. Anyway, I'm returning them. Last week I bought the V-Moda M-100, and they are so much more comfortable. Bass is much heavier, but the overall sound of the Momentums was better.

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #438 of 931
  After a week of using them, I couldn't stand the size of the ear cups.

Whatever you do, never try an on-ear. I find the Momentum comfortable. I've owened the Amperior, HD25-1ii, HD25 Anniversary, DT1350 and T51P are they are all a nightmare in comparison, though the T51p is close to comfortable. 

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #441 of 931

Whatever you do, never try an on-ear. I find the Momentum comfortable. I've owened the Amperior, HD25-1ii, HD25 Anniversary, DT1350 and T51P are they are all a nightmare in comparison, though the T51p is close to comfortable. 

I have a Sennheiser PXC250 on-ear noise cancelling headphone. It is not comfortable at all for me. My wife uses it now, she doesn't seem to have any problems with it.

Jun 4, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #442 of 931
Just a note on momentum comfort. The headbands robust construction allows for significant adjustment of clamping pressure. Don't be afraid to experiment. Such adjustment allows for tailoring of sound signature as well, with lower clamp pressure opening soundstage a bit and reducing mid bass a smidge. I have owned mine since November 2012 and had some comfort issues at first but now they are my go-to cans. I recently added the kef m500 to my inventory and was wowed by them at first, but their aggressive nature to my ears prove to be fatiguing at times. It's nice that they provide a different flavor to the momentums and although they too are comfortable, they are top-heavy and are less stable than the momentums. The kefs give a more "on stage" perspective to the momentums forth row perspective. I enjoy them both.

Jun 8, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #443 of 931
I will be joining the momentum club tomorrow! I currently own m-50's and fidelio X1's. I wanted to try something new and have a few trips planned this summer so portability is a must. I was planning on trying sennheiser HD8 DJ's but a friend can get me an employee discount on momentums so I pulled the trigger on those. Looking forward to hearing them!

Jun 10, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #444 of 931
I just added the Black Momentum to my collection. I already own the brown and the Ivory. I love all three. I could be wrong, but I think the cable without the microphone makes the headphone sound better than the cable with the microphone. I'm not sure why that is.

I think this headphone has a good trifecta of style, sound, and portability. Comfort depends on the person I suppose, but I am comfortable with them on.

Jun 11, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #446 of 931
I tried the momentum again.

I have to equalize like this:

And when I mute the equalizer, they souds muffled to me.

I want to love them, I find them beautiful and comfortable but this is not the sound signature I like. Especially not for this price.
((even if there have significant qualities, do not misunderstand))

I think I will going back to the AKG K545.

Jun 11, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #447 of 931
I just got some Momentum's 3 days ago.  I have listened to about 5-6 albums and several singles(Tool, NIN, Pantera, Metallica, etc...FLAC, MP3, CD) since then when not at work(and the wife lets me HA!!) and I have to say the earcups are very small(I also have larger than average ears) but what really made them uncomfortable for me was my glasses.  It sucks, I have 20/20 vision with horrible astigmatism.  Anyway, I found that if I take my glasses off before putting them on then sliding them over the top of the earcups so they are angled down a little it completely gets rid of this issue and I can wear them for hours with no issues. It also makes no difference with vision. I hope this will work for others as well.  The Momentum's sounds great to my ears and I thought that the V-moda's were a little bass heavy and not quite as clear as the Momentum's.  I am still in my 14 day return policy from the apple store(I hated going in there but what can you do...) but I dont think I am going to return them.  I am new to all this so they sound better than anything I have listened to before(dont get on me too bad lol)  Right now I am using my HTC m8 to listen to music on the go and my Denon 1705 for home listening.  I dont have a headphone amp yet but plan on getting one before the end of the year.  What should I look for in a desk amp for these headphones?  I also have a set of Bose quietcomfort 2's that were lying around my dads basement for 10 years.  He gave them to me and honestly they sound pretty good but not great.  The noise cancellation is good as long as the batter is above 25% and I use them occasionally as well.  Also I have a set of Logitech g35's for gaming but they sound like butt and I have retired them. I would rather listen is stereo with great sound that 7.1 with awful sound.  Thanks for reading this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.    

Jun 11, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #448 of 931
I can make a glasses brand suggestion, most comfortable ones I've ever tried, highly durable frame, and looks good too if you'd like.

I just got some Momentum's 3 days ago.  I have listened to about 5-6 albums and several singles(Tool, NIN, Pantera, Metallica, etc...FLAC, MP3, CD) since then when not at work(and the wife lets me HA!!) and I have to say the earcups are very small(I also have larger than average ears) but what really made them uncomfortable for me was my glasses.  It sucks, I have 20/20 vision with horrible astigmatism.  Anyway, I found that if I take my glasses off before putting them on then sliding them over the top of the earcups so they are angled down a little it completely gets rid of this issue and I can wear them for hours with no issues. It also makes no difference with vision. I hope this will work for others as well.  The Momentum's sounds great to my ears and I thought that the V-moda's were a little bass heavy and not quite as clear as the Momentum's.  I am still in my 14 day return policy from the apple store(I hated going in there but what can you do...) but I dont think I am going to return them.  I am new to all this so they sound better than anything I have listened to before(dont get on me too bad lol)  Right now I am using my HTC m8 to listen to music on the go and my Denon 1705 for home listening.  I dont have a headphone amp yet but plan on getting one before the end of the year.  What should I look for in a desk amp for these headphones?  I also have a set of Bose quietcomfort 2's that were lying around my dads basement for 10 years.  He gave them to me and honestly they sound pretty good but not great.  The noise cancellation is good as long as the batter is above 25% and I use them occasionally as well.  Also I have a set of Logitech g35's for gaming but they sound like butt and I have retired them. I would rather listen is stereo with great sound that 7.1 with awful sound.  Thanks for reading this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.    

Jun 11, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #449 of 931
I can make a glasses brand suggestion, most comfortable ones I've ever tried, highly durable frame, and looks good too if you'd like.

Hey that would be awesome!  Thanks.  What do you think?  Lol right now I am using an older pair of Umbro frames.  I have, before these, always gotten some sort of flex frames but they always break on me after a year or so. These have lasted about 4-5 years now but they need to be replaced as I am pretty sure my Rx has changed and they are fairly worn out.   I love my Momentums and really plan on using them as much as possible while im on the go and at home(til I get a better set and an amp/dac rather than my denon receiver).  Any advice will always be welcome.

Jun 11, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #450 of 931
The brand I use is a little on the expensive side, but I think they're quite worth it. They're highly flexible depending which frame you buy.

http://www.silhouette.com/us/en/home/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back