Sennheiser Momentum hurts my ears, considering V-MODA M-100
May 6, 2014 at 5:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ResistanZ

New Head-Fier
I've been lurking on this forum for awhile. I started becoming interested in headphones when I first bought the new Beats Studio. I found them awesomely comfortable, but I knew the sound was lacking. I traded them in for the Sennheiser Momentum (over-ear) and I know that I'm in love with the sound, but they hurt my ears so much. I would consider my ears just a very tiny bit on the bigger side of average, but they definitely don't fit around my ears and after less than an hour, I have to take them off to rub my ears. This bums me out, since with the Beats Studio I could fall asleep with them on for a few hours and wake up without any ear pain. I'm disappointed that these ear cups aren't bigger; they're supposed to be circumaural, right? Actually, I have a question about that too, circumaural means they are supposed to go around your entire ear, including the lobe? If that's the case, these don't even come close to being circumaural for me.. I didn't notice whether the Beats were truly circumaural because they didn't hurt my ears so I didn't care.

Anyway, when I traded in my Beats it was a tough decision for me to choose between this and the M-100. I listen to many genres including rap and EDM, but have found myself really getting into classical lately, so I wanted something with a more even sound profile and not too bassy. At the same time, I wanted something portable that I could use while I go to the gym or skateboard, so I didn't want anything ridiculously bulky. Like I said earlier, I love the sound, and cannot deal with the pain. Would the M-100 be more likely to fit my ears (especially with the XL pads?) I would gladly give up some sound quality and settle for the emphasis on bass if it means I could have something both portable and comfortable.

May 6, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #2 of 9
I suggest rather than go changing the entire headphone, possibly consider different pads like the Brainwav HM5 pads for about $8.50 each.

http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-earphones/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1pc

May 6, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #3 of 9
Would the ear pads fit inside the Momentum if they weren't specifically made for them? Shape might be OK since the the cups are a symmetrical oval, but size might be an issue?

May 6, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #4 of 9
  Would the ear pads fit inside the Momentum if they weren't specifically made for them? Shape might be OK since the the cups are a symmetrical oval, but size might be an issue?

It's the pads hurting your ears. What you need to do is measure the pads on your Momentums then search for an alternative.

Ebay is a good place to start. I would highly recommend trying an alternative pad at least before another headphone.

There's several on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xheadphone+pads&_nkw=headphone+pads&_sacat=0&_from=R40

May 6, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #5 of 9
It's a bit more experimenting than I'd like to deal with. Unless I order many different ear pads at once it could be potentially weeks before I find one that fits, and even then there's no guarantee that it would be more comfortable on my ears. By then the window to return my Momentum will have closed and I will be stuck with them.

Ideally I would like someone who has owned both of these headphones to weigh in on their size comparison. I found this thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/653032/size-matters-earpad-hole-measurements-for-over-ear-headphones) with the inner dimensions for the Momentum, but I can't find anything with the inner dimensions of the M-100. V-MODA's website has the outer dimensions for the XL pad, but that's not particularly useful either...

May 6, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #6 of 9
  It's a bit more experimenting than I'd like to deal with. Unless I order many different ear pads at once it could be potentially weeks before I find one that fits, and even then there's no guarantee that it would be more comfortable on my ears. By then the window to return my Momentum will have closed and I will be stuck with them.

Ideally I would like someone who has owned both of these headphones to weigh in on their size comparison. I found this thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/653032/size-matters-earpad-hole-measurements-for-over-ear-headphones) with the inner dimensions for the Momentum, but I can't find anything with the inner dimensions of the M-100. V-MODA's website has the outer dimensions for the XL pad, but that's not particularly useful either...

It would of been nice to explain you had a return period, which was mentioned no-where in the OP? I was under the assumption you had purchased  Momentum and were stuck with them. If that is the case and you can do an exchange then? Why not do that instead.........

May 6, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #7 of 9
Because the place where I got the Momentum doesn't have the M-100. I'd have to go return the Momentum, get the M-100, order the XL pad online (potentially wasting money) and hope it gets here before the return period ends.

I didn't explicitly say I had a return period in my op, but what did you think I meant when I said I traded in my Beats for the Momentum?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back