Sennheiser Momentum for classical music
Sep 27, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 77
I didn't find it terribly authentic but at the same time I'm accustomed to the sound of $1000 headphones... For you it may be the best bang for your buck (do understand I'm talking about the over ear versions which can be purchased for under $200 used)

Sep 27, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 77
Thanks for the reply. I've been doing a research now and people recommended the ATH-M50 for classical music and i think i will go for it. What do you think? I am also afraid because it doesnt have a deatachable cord,  And the jack of many of my headphones has been ruined. Is it easy to fix? Thanks!

Sep 27, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 77
Thanks for the reply. I've been doing a research now and people recommended the [COLOR=333333]ATH-M50 for classical music and i think i will go for it. What do you think? I am also afraid because it doesnt have a deatachable cord,  And the jack of many of my headphones has been ruined. Is it easy to fix? Thanks![/COLOR]

If you're budgeting for a Sennheiser momentum over ear you could easily afford the ATH-M50x which has a detachable cord. I didn't find the original m50x to be great with classical mainly because the soundstage was really narrow.

Sep 27, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 77
  Will those headphones let me hear every instrument it it really sounds? I want an authentic, precise sound, Just as it sounds in the real world. Thanks

I wouldn't recommend them with classical. The bass is too much and the treble is AWOL. Instead, I'd strongly suggest the H6's with classical.

Sep 27, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #6 of 77
IMO what they really lack is air (both in soundstage and treble extension), so I cant really recommend them for classic music. 
Look into Soundmagic HP100 (150?), I had a chance to audition them a few months ago and think they'll fit your needs.

Sep 27, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #7 of 77
If you're budgeting for a Sennheiser momentum over ear you could easily afford the ATH-M50x which has a detachable cord. I didn't find the original m50x to be great with classical mainly because the soundstage was really narrow.

On this site-http://www.classicalmusicheadphones.org/category/top-picks/
, which is dedicated to classical music headphones, they really recommend the ATH-M50X. I want a very accurate but still pleasant and beautiful sound. I want to hear the music the way it really sounds in the concert hall. What do you mean by a narrow sounstage? Does anybody else recommend those headphones for classical music (Mainly symphonis as my username suggests :wink: )

Sep 27, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #8 of 77
Another very important detail: I am planning on having a studio (for film scoring). So my best option is the ATH-M50, right?
I can use them both for monitoring and both for listening to music. Please share your thoughts!

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #9 of 77

On this site-http://www.classicalmusicheadphones.org/category/top-picks/
, which is dedicated to classical music headphones, they really recommend the ATH-M50X. I want a very accurate but still pleasant and beautiful sound. I want to hear the music the way it really sounds in the concert hall. What do you mean by a narrow sounstage? Does anybody else recommend those headphones for classical music (Mainly symphonis as my username suggests :wink: )

I think this stickied post is very relevant to your request:
http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

Sep 27, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #10 of 77
Momentum would be an OK choice for listening, but it's not good for studio work because of recesses in the treble and has uncomfortable, tiny earpads. M50 is a particularly bad choice for both, as the mid-bass is boosted and the treble timbre is poor. Instead, I can easily recommend Yoga CD990 OEMs such as HM5 and XPT100 (almost the same thing). Best luck!

Sep 28, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #11 of 77
Today I went to a local store and listened to two AKG headphones, k619, k518ie, and I really liked their precise, rich and pure sound (I am playing in an orchestra and the instruments sounded pretty good) but the basses were too heavy and it wasnt completely balanced, and another this is that it wasnt very comfortable. I want my ears to be completely inside the headphones. And a detachable cord was missing too. Do you have something to suggest? Thanks

Sep 28, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #13 of 77
The one I suggested above has large earpads and dual-entry cables.

But i don't know how they sound.. I tried the AKG headphones mentioned above and in general i liked their sound, so i want something with a similiar sound quality but with a better balance (less bass mainly), preferably bigger earpads but not wider (I want to walk around the street with them), And a detachable cord. But it must be of a similiar sound quality as the AKG's, because at least i know how they sound

Sep 28, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #14 of 77
I am considering buying the AKG 702, But i got the impression it requires an amp, And i mainly want to use it with my iPod and my electrical piano. Will it work well without an amp for classical music? And if i do need to buy a portable amp for my ipod, Do i need to connect it to another power source or just to the ipod? because i am using it on the road. And which not very expensive portable amp is recommended? What do you say about the FiiO E11 portable amp?  I am really new to this area, but because (Classical) music is my whole life, I have a great passion for it. Thank you very much for your help!

Sep 28, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #15 of 77
Yeah, it needs an amp. You can run it from the iPod's line out. Bear in mind that it's open so you get no isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back