Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 or Oppo PM-3?
Jan 14, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #4 of 11
For me neutral sound reproduction is best. I have tried bass heavy headphones, bass shy headphones, headphones with elevated treble and headphones with elevated mid-range, but I still like the ones that are closest to the original sound best.

I listen to many genres. From nu-jazz to EDM, from J-pop to classical, from grunge to merengue. For my drum & bass collection, I wouldn't mind the Momentums because bass is a prominent part of that music, but for jazz the bass is often intrusive ans sometimes even overwhelming. With neutral headphones I can listen to any genre with pleasure.

A neutral, but deep bass is ideal for me, so neutrally tuned planars like the PM-3 are a good choice on that regard. However, the treble, and mostly the lower treble of the planars I have heard, sounds a bit 'plasticky' or 'artificial' to me. I don't know other way to describe it. A few people agree with me, but most are not even bothered by it. Compared to the elevated mid-bass of the Momentums it's a small issue anyway.

Many people prefer different types of 'exaggeration' of certain frequency ranges. Elevated bass is a common preference, so the Momentums fit that bill. Elevated bass and treble (V-shaped sound signature) is also quite common. Everyone has different ears, so to you the PM-3 might sound accurate, but boring. The first step to get a new headphone is knowing your own preferences.

Jan 17, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #5 of 11
  For me neutral sound reproduction is best. I have tried bass heavy headphones, bass shy headphones, headphones with elevated treble and headphones with elevated mid-range, but I still like the ones that are closest to the original sound best.

I listen to many genres. From nu-jazz to EDM, from J-pop to classical, from grunge to merengue. For my drum & bass collection, I wouldn't mind the Momentums because bass is a prominent part of that music, but for jazz the bass is often intrusive ans sometimes even overwhelming. With neutral headphones I can listen to any genre with pleasure.

A neutral, but deep bass is ideal for me, so neutrally tuned planars like the PM-3 are a good choice on that regard. However, the treble, and mostly the lower treble of the planars I have heard, sounds a bit 'plasticky' or 'artificial' to me. I don't know other way to describe it. A few people agree with me, but most are not even bothered by it. Compared to the elevated mid-bass of the Momentums it's a small issue anyway.

Many people prefer different types of 'exaggeration' of certain frequency ranges. Elevated bass is a common preference, so the Momentums fit that bill. Elevated bass and treble (V-shaped sound signature) is also quite common. Everyone has different ears, so to you the PM-3 might sound accurate, but boring. The first step to get a new headphone is knowing your own preferences.

Thanks for a fantastic reply! I've listened to MDR-1A, PM3 and Momentum 2.0 (oh, and Audio Technica M50) and to be honest I liked the precision of M50, but they felt oppressive on my head. The tightness was unbearable... 

Sony was super comfortable and sounded more than decent in my opinion. 

When it comes to Momentum 2.0 it was very comfy as well, but I'm not sure if the sound convinced me...

I used to own Shure 440... Wasn't happy with them. I listen to a lot of old classic rock... blues and jazz... 

Jan 17, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #6 of 11
I do very much love my M2 Over-Ears driven by the Astell&Kern AK120ii.

That said, I would love to get a pair of PM-3s as well. My only fear is that they will not sound great without a secondary amp. I use the M2 only from a mobile device (the AK120ii), and stacking is not something I desire.

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #7 of 11
Thanks for your insights! Much appreciated!

I have an old HiFiMan 603 which has a special boost function for headphones that require higher impedance. Do you think PM3 will be well-driven by that player?

Any most importantly, for the types of music I mentioned earlier, which one will be the best choice? Soundstage is very important for me too.

Jan 17, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #8 of 11
They'll both work very well for the music you're into. The Sennheiser Sound works especially well for Classic Rock.

Jan 17, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #9 of 11
They'll both work very well for the music you're into. The Sennheiser Sound works especially well for Classic Rock.

Thanks! 

Just two more questions:

1) I understand that Sony MDR-1A is bellow both Momentum 2.0 and PM3 in every way? 
2) PM-3 would set me back for 400USD here in Shanghai. Momentum costs between 320-350USD here. Is the 50-80USD more worth the investement in PM-3 if I'm going to use it with my HiFiman 603?

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 11
I can't answer any of those questions. Sorry.

Jun 14, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #11 of 11
Hi

I was in the same dilemma.
I wanted the best sounding closed back travel headphones I could get for up to £350.
I tried both the momentum 2 over ear and the oppo pm3 in the shop. And ended up buying the momentums.
But after a couple of weeks realised I had made the wrong choice.
So I ended up getting a pair of oppos and have been testing them both.
Using a audioquest dragonfly red DAC.

So hear is a bit of a comparison review.

Sennheiser momentum 2 over ear.
Fit light weight very little pressure against my head.

Sound. The sennheisers have a nice wide sound stage nice clear treble without getting harsh.
clear mid range but overall I find the sound a little false sounding and the bass is punchy and over blown.
and although the sound is nice and clear just doesn't sound right they sound to pushy. A bit messy sounding.
Its like someone has played around with a graphic equalizer to make them sound more exciting. But in a very subtle way.

Now the oppo pm3.
Fit a bit heavier
A more snug fit.

To start with after listening to the sennheiser the oppos sound flat and dull.
But that just because the bass and treble isnt pushy. They don't sound as wide.
And the mid range sounds fuller.
But after listening for a while and getting use to the flatter sound. They sound so good.
Everything is placed just right nothing is over blown. Everything is clear but not pushy.
The vocals are spot on. I can hear subtleties in the music that got lost with the sennheisers.
They are more of a smooth relaxed balanced sound.

So if you like and exciting bright punchy dynamic spacious sound go for the sennheiser.
If you want an accurate refined clear smooth balanced sound go for the Oppo PM3.

After listening to the oppo for a while and going back to the sennheisers they sound a little thin like somethings missing. A bit messy and exaggerated.

I decided the oppos are the headphones I prefer. I have also found I can wear them for hours which I couldnt do with the sennheisers due to fatigue.
The oppos also fit my head better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back