Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 or M2 Wired
Jul 24, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #196 of 221
Hello guys!

I'm thinking about buying M2 as an upgrade for HD555. I have my HD's for quite some time, in fact about 5 years. They are great sounding headphones, still working. Although I need some revolution instead of evolution. Normal evolution for these will be HD600 or HD650 – but I'm looking for some sort of change. I feel HD555 are good for "natural" music with real instruments, but I listen electronic music a lot. I thought M2 due to their closed construction can be better. HD600 are roughly same priced, so I'm considering them too – will they sound much different than HD555?

I'm amping my pair with FiiO e07k, which is enough when it comes to loudness. 

The questions is – should I get M2 or HD600 when I want complete change? Will FiiO e07k amp M2/HD600?

Aug 4, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #197 of 221
Picked up the the wired M2.0 today from bestbuy in black, needed a more mobile can on the go, with good overall sound quality without breaking the bank and at $199.00, I find them to be a steal versus whats out there above that price.

These are comfortable and have very nice signature for my perferred music taste. base is good the treble are surprisingly better than expected, the mid is a little more recessed than I would like but otherwise pretty happy with the overall SS.

Aug 4, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #198 of 221
Nice. Glad you like them.

Is that On-ear or Over-ear? That's a great price if it's the big ones.

Aug 4, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #200 of 221
Nice. Glad you like them.

Is that On-ear or Over-ear? That's a great price if it's the big ones.

Over the ear, I was influenced a lot by this review :wink: so thank you for that.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-momentum/reviews/15371

But honestly at 199.99 its really a killer deal, I also used a bunch of rewards too.

Aug 4, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #201 of 221
by the way to me the recessed mid are only because I am so used to the Angie II mids.

Aug 4, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #202 of 221
Aug 15, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #204 of 221
Hi. I'm new here and I need your advice. I just bought two days ago the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 (US180 on Amazon, for my luck). They have a low imperance, only 18ohms. So no need headphone amplifier. But I've read about an amazing and very cheap USB sound card, the Asus Xonar U3. My question is whether it makes sense to use these headphones with it. From what I understand, this card has a range of 32 to 300 ohms. I wanted to know if anyone has tested these headphones with that card.

I am no audiophile, that's for sure. But I've read that the main limitations of the headphone output of the Xonar U3 are its relatively high output impedance. As I said, I know an amp is not going to do something for headphones with an 18 ohm impedance and a 112db sensitivity, but what about a DAC? If the Xonar will not work (tell me if that is real, please), how possible is to improve its sound with a DAC as Fiio 17 or 18?

Thanks.

Aug 16, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #205 of 221
If you're looking for something that will make more of a difference, save up enough to get the Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2. Or something a little bigger, like the AudioEngine D1.

Also, have a look at this page:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/category/amp-dacs

A sound card is just a DAC and Amp. There are better options than Asus. Their specialty lies with general computer parts. You would be better served buying from a company that specializes in audio.

Aug 16, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #206 of 221
I appreciate your response. Although there may be better USB DACs (Encore mDSD DAC could be a good option), I do not think you find cheaper (only US40). But more importantly, what I have seen,  it is common to have output impedance 30 to 300 Ohm, in which case my previous question related to my Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 is still standing.

Aug 16, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #207 of 221
Your low impedance Senns will work just fine with that DAC.

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #209 of 221
I'm again in the market looking for a DAC for my Sennheiser Momentum 2M, super low impedance headphones over ear, just 18 ohms.

When I had just bought the 9023 almost guaranteed here, Hifime sellman told me to buy another one to pair my headphones. He said: "30 ohm is minimum recommended for this DAC. For 18ohm we recommend the Sabre 9018". So I returned it.

So output impedance on DACs matters, PinkyPowers!

I'm still searching for a budget DAC and would like to have another option, if exist for my low impedance headphones, if only for a better hardware. You know any?

Aug 18, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #210 of 221
Of course it matters. I've just never heard of a DAC that put out too much impedance for the Senn M2.

For the price you're looking for, just stick with the DAC inside your computer. Save up at least a $150, if you really want to HEAR a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back