Sennheiser Lucas newby
May 17, 2005 at 11:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Barrythemod

New Head-Fier
Just got hold of a Sennheiser Lucas DPL headphone amp,cause the neighbours have started to complain about the noise
very_evil_smiley.gif
The unit arrived with audio cables but no power supply
frown.gif
Can anybody help and point me in the right direction to get one ????? UK 240 volts would be good but i`m sure I could use a US 120 volts with yet another adapter.
Many thanks in anticipation.

May 17, 2005 at 1:59 PM Post #2 of 8
The 120V adaptor that came with my Lucas is labeled:

Output: 9V DC, 500mA

And the little diagram shows that it's center pin-negative.

Seems like you shouldn't have much trouble finding a power supply that meets these specs with a connector that fits.

Enjoy the Lucas! Mine's been providing great pleasure for almost a decade and I'm still amazed at how well it does Dolby ProLogic through phones.

Best,
Beau

P.S. Did you get a manual with it? If not, let me know and I can send you the instructions about choosing the "EARS" setting that will give the best channel separation.

May 17, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 8
Many thanks Beauregard.You`ve told me all I need to know.The manual DID come with it,but many thanks for your offer.Seeing as you own a Lucas,do you recommend open-back or closed-back phones to use with it ?
Thanks
Barry

May 18, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #4 of 8
Hiya Barry... you're welcome. And welcome to Head-Fi!

I'm afraid I can't give you advice comparing open/closed phones. I've used my Lucas very happily exclusively with open headphones - Sennheiser HD580s and, recently, HD650s.

But there are some input oddities I've noticed with the Lucas. Over the years, it's been in systems with various combinations of TVs, VCRs, and DVD players, and I've always connected it to the audio output of the TV. It works fine with the TV output level set to "fixed" with broadcast or cable TV and homemade VHS recordings. But commercial VHS movies have a much higher signal level that causes noticeable distortion unless I switch the TV output to "variable" and cut it down to about 3/4 full. Strangely, output from DVD players is significantly lower and I find I need to set the Lucas volume at nearly the max for the not-very-sensitive Sennheiser headphones even with the TV providing the full "fixed" output.

I don't know if this variability will prove to be the case on your side of the Atlantic but it's something to look out for as you try out different source inputs and headphones of varying sensitivity with the Lucas.

Feel free to give a shout if you have any other questions!

Best,
Beau

May 18, 2005 at 7:09 AM Post #5 of 8
Cheers Beau,You`re an "ace face" as we used to say in the 60`s.Gonna see my local supplier, re: power converter,on Saturday.Let me play with the Lucas for a few days and if I have any probs,be assured,you`re the guy that I`m gonna get back to.
Again,MANY THANKS
Barry

P.S. What`s "your 20" in the states ?

May 20, 2005 at 3:51 PM Post #6 of 8
Hmm... the '60s... Should the "mod" in your username put me in mind of platform shoes, miniskirts, etc.???

Glad to be of help with the Lucas. I'm not one of the real headphone hobbyists here so my knowledge base is one of depth not breadth. It's nice when someone shows up with a question about one of the few things I know something about!

My "20" (geez, you ARE a throwback, aren't you?) is New York - upstate, far from the madding crowd of the city. You get over this way very often??

Take care,
Beau

May 25, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #7 of 8
All set up and singing like a bird
smily_headphones1.gif
Played around with various settings,just to compare the differences,but finally matched it to the Dolby Headphone track on Pearl Harbor.The only difference being that the Lucas sounds slightly rolled-off at the top end.
Unlike you,I love N.Y.,N.Y. My favorite City AFTER London.Paid many visits over the years.
Again Beau,I,and my neighbours,thank you.

Many thanks

Barry

P.S. If it`s too loud,you`re too old !

Jan 13, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #8 of 8
The 120V adaptor that came with my Lucas is labeled:

Output: 9V DC, 500mA

And the little diagram shows that it's center pin-negative.

Seems like you shouldn't have much trouble finding a power supply that meets these specs with a connector that fits.

Enjoy the Lucas! Mine's been providing great pleasure for almost a decade and I'm still amazed at how well it does Dolby ProLogic through phones.

Best,
Beau

P.S. Did you get a manual with it? If not, let me know and I can send you the instructions about choosing the "EARS" setting that will give the best channel separation.
Howdy ,

Do you still have a user's manual for the Lucas DSP unit?

May I bother you for a copy ?

Many thanks,

RG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back