Sennheiser IEM's
Oct 18, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonWho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have got to be kidding me. Silver plated plug on a supposedly hifi set of earphones?

Or does that not matter at all?
tongue.gif

silver is a far better conductor than gold; in fact copper is a better conductor than gold. gold is mainly used because it does not corrode (inert) and it is a soft metal so it tends to form a better contact with the jack. high-end connectors/cables do still use silver though (check my sig); mainly with some sort of protective plating. silver oxide is also conductive so it doesn't matter so much though. my guess is that senn has noticed the amount of people in their demographic getting around with silver cables, LOD's etc on their DAP's and is playing up to that market. for connectors though it is much more important to get a really good contact than having whatever makes that contact really conductive. more of a marketing ploy I would think

Oct 18, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
silver is a far better conductor than gold; in fact copper is a better conductor than gold. gold is mainly used because it does not corrode (inert) and it is a soft metal so it tends to form a better contact with the jack. high-end connectors/cables do still use silver though (check my sig); mainly with some sort of protective plating. silver oxide is also conductive so it doesn't matter so much though. my guess is that senn has noticed the amount of people in their demographic getting around with silver cables, LOD's etc on their DAP's and is playing up to that market. for connectors though it is much more important to get a really good contact than having whatever makes that contact really conductive. more of a marketing ploy I would think

Interesting insight, thanks! If only my chemistry and physics knowledge were that fresh
tongue.gif
but it makes sense reading it.

Oct 19, 2008 at 11:02 AM Post #19 of 30
I ordered the IE a few days ago as well from amazon.de (germany). Initially, I was a bit disappointed as they sounded a bit flat. I tried using different tips and got a decent seal finally with my old UE foams I had laying around. Two days later after a burn in still disappointed I decided to switch back to the stock tips and in particular the "mushroom" tips and I am very impressed and happy so far. So stock tips and the burn in seem very important with these phones IMO.

My non expert impressions so far are that these have a huge soundstage in particular for an IEM they sound like a full set of cans. They have a warm open sound with deep bass which is not flabby by any means but also not as tight as say the SE530. Mids are decent and highs are also ok. The big seller here is the sound stage. A very fun musical headphone. I am a big fan of the Atrio M5 but I have worn my out and these were going to be my replacements here and from sound quality so far I would put these a step a head of the Atrios so far. I also like them slightly more than the SE530s but I like the darker sound sig of the Atrio's and a warm musical IEM so others might differ in opinion. Also noteworthy is the quality of the cable which looks great and has zero cable noise when walking around and running. Quality and comfort are great.

The bass tuning is pretty cool as well. I love the deep accurate bass from this IEM. The default setting has enough for most but there is a big noticeable with just turning this to the half way mark there is a difference when you open bass ports so this should serve bass heads as well as others.

So in a nutshell I love this IEM so far but only after playing with the tips and burn in. Very comfortable IEM with a good selections of tips. Great cable (exchangeable) with good isolation. I also like the fact I can sleep with these in comfortably.

Oct 19, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #21 of 30
. I also like the fact I can sleep with these in comfortably.[/QUOTE]

You might get choked by the cables when you turn around in bed...

Curious to the sq too. Somehow, i'm hoping this dynamic driver will rival them.

Oct 19, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #22 of 30
I paid 219.00 Euro in Germany via amazon.de. So they are a bit cheaper than the Tripple.fi10 and the SE530 at least here in Europe. Regarding the sound quality or breaking down exact details as to how they sound is not something I am good at but I can remark on the simple aspects here. Bass is big, even bigger than the M5 if you use the freq adjustment, mids are present but probably not the strong point and highs are good. Soundstage is huge.. listening to music you have more a live feeling.

Oct 19, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #23 of 30
Also regarding the choking not sure if you are serious or joking but I mean I like to lay down and listen to music. The IE8 fits flat to your ear so there is nothing hanging out.

Oct 19, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #24 of 30
Great to see some positive feedback! Look forward to more owner's impressions so I can start forming a general idea of how these perform sonically and of what their sound signature and sonic presentaion is.

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by JRboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sound quality - I love my HD 650's and was hoping for a portable equivalent so took the plunge and bought the IE 8's before reading a review, something I don't often do. In reality I didn't expect true equivalence, just more than I get from the IEM's I own at the moment (ER-4P, Triple Fi, and UM2) and I'm not sure that I'm getting that, but it's early days. I'm a believer in both burn in, and as these are dynamics there should be some, and in the user adjusting to the sound over a period of time. With regard to the latter, switching from the UM2's to the ER-4P's the sound is initially very thin and almost unbearable but after a few minutes their strengths start to shine through (there isn't a 'faster' IEM on the market IMHO) and their weaknesses don't seem to be there any more. So in the case of the IE 8 I'm hoping a combination of the two work some magic and I find myself won over by them.

To describe the sound, nothing stands out, which is probably a good thing, bass is full (at the lowest setting), treble is definitely there but not as noticeable as the triples or ER-4P but better than the UM2's, and the mids sound nice, but vocals don't seem as good as the UM2's. Soundstage seems very wide though, and placement is nice.

I'm sorry I can't be more positive but at the moment the Triples sound significantly better to my ears, as do the HD 650's (probably a dumb remark).

Nice review. I'd also love to have an IEM sounding like my Sennheiser headphones (HD600 though). We're on the same page regarding the ER4P and UM2 strengths and weaknesses, but I'm still evaluating the Triple.Fi 10 since I believe my set might have been defective or built wrong. I'm looking forward to seeing if the Sennheiser IEM improves for you.

Oct 27, 2008 at 9:46 AM Post #27 of 30
I’ve had time to listen some more and am pleased to be able to say I was wrong. In my first post I mentioned I changed the tips to Comply’s as none of the Sennheiser items fitted my ears, normally this isn’t detrimental to sound quality, in fact it’s the reverse making most IEMs more natural sounding, but in this case it didn’t help as they dulled the highs making the IE 8 sound fIat and boring.

Changing to the Sennheiser large foam tips the sound became brighter and therefore more balanced, and similarly with the twin flange mushroom tips. In the case of the former if I move my head even slightly the seal breaks, and in the case of the latter it takes a while to adjust them to seal properly so neither are perfect for me but this is obviously a very personal thing and the wide range of supplied tips will probably allow 99% of users to find one that suits them.

By comparison with each of the other IEMs I own there are minuses to be found, treble extension is less than the ER4-P and the Triple Fi, nor do they sound as fast and agile, bass is possibly less tuneful than the Triple Fi, and perhaps less deep than the UM2s, but switching back and forth between them hides the strength of the IE 8; whatever you listen to, rock, jazz, reggae, classical, they sound at least very good and you can listen without feeling you’re missing out, which is something I can’t quite say of any of the others. When I stopped switching from one to another and settled down to listen to some music after an hour or so I was thinking, I really enjoyed that album, I wasn't thinking about any aspect of the sound - frequency response, dynamics, soundstage etc. so they do enable one to become lost in the music, and for me that’s what it’s about.

However I did realise that what I was listening to was much more like my headphones than any of my IEMs, and comparing them with my Koss PortaPros and Sennheiser PX 100s proved this. This left me with a couple of dilemmas, as I say, I think they are very good IEMs but some people will compare them to much cheaper portable headphones and decide they aren’t worth the extra money, in the UK the IE8s are more than £200, and the PX 100s are about £25, so it is a lot more for the improvement in sound quality, the isolation, and form factor.

The other dilemma is that as the IE8s provide sound isolation a fairer comparison would be with closed back phones (I don’t own any) and because they have dynamic drivers an alternative comparison would be with other high end IEMs using dynamics (I don’t own any, and there aren’t that many available either). So I think this means that I am not the best person to review these further, and will be very interested in the comments of others.

To summarise, for me the standout features of the IE 8 are the overall naturalness of the sound, the quality of vocals (I have yet to hear an IEM that can get the emotion in a singer’s voice across as well as these do), and the width of the soundstage (they sound more like headphones and with certain recordings the sound seems as if it is actually outside of your head; very rare for an IEM). If I have one remaining criticism, the treble could do with a little more extension, although this does mean that I can happily listen to some brighter recordings which I can’t on my others IEMs.

To answer a couple of questions; the bass control works very well, but as the base is already very full at the lowest setting probably only a few people would use it. Existing owners of the UM2s may feel they haven’t got a sufficient increase in sound quality to justify the cost, and some may prefer the sound of the UM2s anyway.

Oct 27, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by JRboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I’ve had time to listen some more and am pleased to be able to say I was wrong. In my first post I mentioned I changed the tips to Comply’s as none of the Sennheiser items fitted my ears, normally this isn’t detrimental to sound quality, in fact it’s the reverse making most IEMs more natural sounding, but in this case it didn’t help as they dulled the highs making the IE 8 sound fIat and boring.

Changing to the Sennheiser large foam tips the sound became brighter and therefore more balanced, and similarly with the twin flange mushroom tips. In the case of the former if I move my head even slightly the seal breaks, and in the case of the latter it takes a while to adjust them to seal properly so neither are perfect for me but this is obviously a very personal thing and the wide range of supplied tips will probably allow 99% of users to find one that suits them.

By comparison with each of the other IEMs I own there are minuses to be found, treble extension is less than the ER4-P and the Triple Fi, nor do they sound as fast and agile, bass is possibly less tuneful than the Triple Fi, and perhaps less deep than the UM2s, but switching back and forth between them hides the strength of the IE 8; whatever you listen to, rock, jazz, reggae, classical, they sound at least very good and you can listen without feeling you’re missing out, which is something I can’t quite say of any of the others. When I stopped switching from one to another and settled down to listen to some music after an hour or so I was thinking, I really enjoyed that album, I wasn't thinking about any aspect of the sound - frequency response, dynamics, soundstage etc. so they do enable one to become lost in the music, and for me that’s what it’s about.

However I did realise that what I was listening to was much more like my headphones than any of my IEMs, and comparing them with my Koss PortaPros and Sennheiser PX 100s proved this. This left me with a couple of dilemmas, as I say, I think they are very good IEMs but some people will compare them to much cheaper portable headphones and decide they aren’t worth the extra money, in the UK the IE8s are more than £200, and the PX 100s are about £25, so it is a lot more for the improvement in sound quality, the isolation, and form factor.

The other dilemma is that as the IE8s provide sound isolation a fairer comparison would be with closed back phones (I don’t own any) and because they have dynamic drivers an alternative comparison would be with other high end IEMs using dynamics (I don’t own any, and there aren’t that many available either). So I think this means that I am not the best person to review these further, and will be very interested in the comments of others.

To summarise, for me the standout features of the IE 8 are the overall naturalness of the sound, the quality of vocals (I have yet to hear an IEM that can get the emotion in a singer’s voice across as well as these do), and the width of the soundstage (they sound more like headphones and with certain recordings the sound seems as if it is actually outside of your head; very rare for an IEM). If I have one remaining criticism, the treble could do with a little more extension, although this does mean that I can happily listen to some brighter recordings which I can’t on my others IEMs.

To answer a couple of questions; the bass control works very well, but as the base is already very full at the lowest setting probably only a few people would use it. Existing owners of the UM2s may feel they haven’t got a sufficient increase in sound quality to justify the cost, and some may prefer the sound of the UM2s anyway.

Thanks for taking the time to share such full and detailed impressions JRBoy! Much appreciated
atsmile.gif

From my perspective, it's both interesting and pleasing to begin to see the crossover of common findings between yourself and Duncan (a member/moderator who has bought these and posted some impressions in another thread; 'Sennheiser IE8 Early Impressions' or to some effect). Between those two accounts, I'm beginning to from an idea of these IEM's and their sonic character etc.

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #29 of 30
My commuting phones arrived today IE6’s. These are by far the best earphones for under £100 I have ever owned and iv had a few (shure EC2, UE superfi5 EB, Bose triport inear, etc).

I just listen to music; I don’t make it, edit it, or produce it so I don’t need to have earphones like the equivalent Shure or UE that are to me too clinical and pernickety. These are warm but clean earphones that just make the music feel better. These are also so small and light, the UE equivalent bass tuned earphones look so stupid but these are actually very smart indeed.

The bass is very deep as is advertised but it is not dominating or muddy, all I had to do on my iPod was set the EQ to off and the balance was perfect. The mids are punchy and strong and the highs are crisp and tidy. They made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up once more to the dire straits, sultans of swing, a very demanding track if you want it to sound great.

They are not the best in the world but of their price range? I think so, with such a big feeling open soundstage and strength across the frequency range I would not recommend anything else for under £100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back