Sennheiser ie900 vs sony ier z1r
Jan 6, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 7
What music, what player, what usage? Are you interested in a proper response or just fanboy confirmation? There is also the issue of fit - the ie900 is quite small, the IER is quite large - what is your ear size?
If you don't specify your use case, it is going to be hard to get a response that has use to you.
More detail, better answer.

Jan 6, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #3 of 7
I use the player FiiO M11 Plus .I'm interested in it. I listen to all kinds of music. But the vocals sound less. Hard rock music not so much. Mostly pop rock.I am considering between sen ie900 vs sony ier z1r

Jan 7, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #4 of 7
Overall the Z1R is, to my ears, the better IEM - similar sound signatures but the extension on the Z1R at both ends is more extended. But. It is quite large and ear comfort is limited - if you search on Head-fi you'll find a number of people who have on-sold it for that reason. My ears are small-medium and I can wear them at best for two hours (with an hour or so of relief after).
For practical purposes, the IE900 is better suited as an EDC item, smaller and more comfortable. They are are also easier to drive, another consideration (the Z1R needs power). Arguably if you're wearing these outside, the differences will be minimal anyway.
It is for these ergonomic reasons that you really need to listen/audition before you buy.

Jan 7, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #5 of 7
seen.jpg

I personally prefer the IE900. Better Extension, more coherent, better timbre than Z1R.

Jan 7, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 7

I personally prefer the IE900. Better Extension, more coherent, better timbre than Z1R.
Agree to disagree. For me, the Z1R has a better timbre for percussion (both drums at the bottom and cymbals at the top) and for acoustic bass.

I've also never been convinced by the coherency argument - what is meant by this? Electrical phase coherency (which can be measured), time and phase signal coherency (which can be measured) or coherence of the overall sound signature (which relies as much on ears and capacity to differentiate as anything)? I find it a 'loose' term used absent of context.
The IE 900 is more practical as an EDC and is better value for money.

Jan 7, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #7 of 7
Agree to disagree. For me, the Z1R has a better timbre for percussion (both drums at the bottom and cymbals at the top) and for acoustic bass.

I've also never been convinced by the coherency argument - what is meant by this? Electrical phase coherency (which can be measured), time and phase signal coherency (which can be measured) or coherence of the overall sound signature (which relies as much on ears and capacity to differentiate as anything)? I find it a 'loose' term used absent of context.
The IE 900 is more practical as an EDC and is better value for money.
Percussion I agree, Z1R is slightly more convincing but string, woodwinds and brass are all better on the IE900 (for me).
I wasn't talking about phase coherency, more about BA and DD timbre/texture contrast I noticed between 800Hz crossover points and upper DD treble region creating the bass and treble contrasting to midrange.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back