Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Jul 25, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #5,581 of 7,998
I have another question I couldn't resolve in the first 38 pages of the thread, and the rest at this point is TL/DR. Perhaps I can catch up later.

How is isolation to others, say in an office setting?

Jul 25, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #5,582 of 7,998
  I have another question I couldn't resolve in the first 38 pages of the thread, and the rest at this point is TL/DR. Perhaps I can catch up later.

How is isolation to others, say in an office setting?

They're okay. Not great. They will block out some white noise and softer talking.

I've found that if I listen to something relatively quiet, however, I can still occasionally hear talking of nearby people. Can't necessarily make out what they're saying, but I know someone is there.

Frankly, the worst aspect of noise isolation that I've found is when the wind hits them just right. It's sort of like blowing across the opening of a jug or a bottle.

Jul 25, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #5,583 of 7,998
I meant can other people hear what you are listening to?

Jul 25, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #5,584 of 7,998
  I meant can other people hear what you are listening to?

No really

And they isolate very well on medium volume. 

Wind is problematic though. 

But isolation is a 9/10 for me, and in my experience. Unless listening to really unhealthy volumes, seems like I can safely listen without no one hearing my music, and unless the volume is really low, like 1/3 of what I usually listen, I hear no one around me. 

Jul 25, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #5,585 of 7,998
  No really

And they isolate very well on medium volume. 

Wind is problematic though. 

But isolation is a 9/10 for me, and in my experience. Unless listening to really unhealthy volumes, seems like I can safely listen without no one hearing my music, and unless the volume is really low, like 1/3 of what I usually listen, I hear no one around me. 

That is very reassuring, thank you so much!

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #5,586 of 7,998

Curious if any has had the opportunity to hear the IE800s paired with a Shanling M2.............

So many options available, in the end thought I'd get my feet wet with the Fiio X3 Gen II, too late to run out and get a Micro SD Card so I'm just breaking it in as a DAC off the Imac playing AIFF files.

Came preset with Lo gain but almost maxed out the volume with the IE800s so switched over to Hi gain and almost blew my ear drums.
redface.gif
...sounds a bit smoother overall...but .....later..

Jul 27, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #5,588 of 7,998
  how do the Sennheiser IE 800 sound at high volume, do they distort, do they lose control of the low end

I have never experienced distortion at realistic listening levels.

Jul 28, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #5,592 of 7,998
Coming from modded FX850, I was a bit disappointed at the first few days with IE800. I was not happy with the sort of distant and a bit recessed vocal presentation on IE800, even driven by the chord mojo. Now after living with it for extended period, I start to appreciate its beauty and strength. I start to like it, especially its bass, clarity and the spacious feeling it can deliver. When listening to some songs that it suits for, like the sound tracks of Pirates of the Caribbean, it is incredible. I cannot just believe the sound comes from such a small body.

Jul 29, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #5,593 of 7,998
  Coming from modded FX850, I was a bit disappointed at the first few days with IE800. I was not happy with the sort of distant and a bit recessed vocal presentation on IE800, even driven by the chord mojo. Now after living with it for extended period, I start to appreciate its beauty and strength. I start to like it, especially its bass, clarity and the spacious feeling it can deliver. When listening to some songs that it suits for, like the sound tracks of Pirates of the Caribbean, it is incredible. I cannot just believe the sound comes from such a small body.

was considering fx850, thanks for the review :) 

Jul 31, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #5,594 of 7,998
I have just found this forum, and am fascinated by the breadth of knowledge here. I will be using the newest iPhone, and have a couple of questions. ( don't worry, soon as I feel worthy, I'll be contributing answers)

I just ordered my ie800s and get them Tuesday. Here are my ideas, please feel free to tell me I'm dumb, or what ever! I am truly looking to learn

Would I benefit from a separate DAC/amp, naturally hooking into the Lightning jack. (I wouldn't think that hooking anything into the 3.5" jack which is analog, would make any diff)

If I would benefit from this, would I also benefit from one with an EQ in it, or are there decent apps to use for this on the phone. Can you guys make any recommendations?

I would really like to use lossless formats, but I know that iTunes has no capability of this. I try to stay at 320 or higher for my format, I don't think I have anything 128, and I have about 50,000 songs. Additionally, I have Apple Music, which is no where close to FLAC or OGG, wish something could be done on that front. Is there a player I can use on my iPhone>? Or am I just better getting something external?

I'll stop here, so as not to just ask ask ask, but this is all new to me.

I'm somewhat of an audiophile, I have a huge system in my car (details on request). My home headphones are stax pro lamda 3s, with an adcom amp. My family room/theater has some really lovely stuff too, so I feel I have invested in good sound, and this is my latest foray into that.

Thanks so much for the help all!

RL

Jul 31, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #5,595 of 7,998
I know I'm new and all, but if you can't hear the difference between real and fake, you should be buying fake, or go to apple and get earbuds or something. I have listened to so many headphones, and I don't believe it's the "placebo effect" when I say I can hear the difference. I will say that some VERY expensive headphones were simply not to my liking, but they were obviously high quality units.

The crappy fakes probably cost 2 bucks to make, have none of the science in them that our beloved real units have, and have NO warranty. Even if you ONLY pay 100 bucks, you will have thrown that in the toilet if something goes wrong, with a doubtless "high dollar quality assurance program" they are graced by.

Personally, if you are unable to afford 800 bucks on headphones, find REAL ones that suit your tastes, and work within your budget.

RL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back