Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Jul 8, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #5,416 of 7,998
Thank George for reminding. Except the two aspects I mentioned, I also like 800's two ends (so this is a V-shape signature, which is not my preference. I prefer neutral with proper enhanced bass). But amazing thing is: though its treble is spark, it has no those grainy sound (digital sound, like 598 or X2), which I'm very sensitive to and cannot endure. Its sound is very coherent.
The worst of this phone is its design, from its cable to its ear tips. I even have a DIY IE800, which is cable replaceable, I cannot understand what's the point of the two-parts design of the cable!!

If ie800 is custom built as option with this price then I will save lots of money not buying any other iem or custom for the rest of my life. The downside is cable,eartips.

Jul 9, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #5,418 of 7,998
  Do people use ie800 out of the house in general?

Let us hope so, for indoors I've the HD800S' and LCd2.2s...also I've just sent my Chinese copies off to my brother and I know he jogs 5-10k everyday ( Boston Marathoner)..rain or shine...so a good torture test.
mind you I actually do use them indoors very often, a lot more mobile than the big rig.
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #5,419 of 7,998
Which just got me thinking, the ie800s were actually intended to be my mobile HD700s (IMHO a similar sound signature), except the HD700s got sold after I got the 800S’, so the proceeds went to a legit pair of ie800s, funny how things work out : )

Jul 9, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #5,421 of 7,998

I've been babying them and using them only inside, and only under very clean conditions to lengthen their live XD.

I really wouldn't worry, they are very well made with high quality materials. The risk from having them stuck in your ears next to wax, hair and dandruff must outweigh any environmental concerns :)

Just don't forget to take them off before you jump in the swimming pool!

Jul 9, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #5,423 of 7,998
  I really wouldn't worry, they are very well made with high quality materials. The risk from having them stuck in your ears next to wax, hair and dandruff must outweigh any environmental concerns :)

Just don't forget to take them off before you jump in the swimming pool!

or as someone mentioned further back....out of your pocket before doing the laundry...

Come on. 

I had the actual experience of needing to wash tips often because they become slippery after being worn. Once. 

Jul 9, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #5,424 of 7,998

I've been babying them and using them only inside, and only under very clean conditions to lengthen their live XD.

I use it on the train, while walking etc. They are like any other iem, so I do not see a problem taking them out. There are obvious places you would be worried about i.e beach, swimming pool etc. You treat them the same as you would any other iem logically (Obviously they are more pricey, so would one naturally treat it better than a cheap ear bud).

Jul 10, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #5,425 of 7,998
Hi Guys

I’ve come to notice the chosen tip can really make or break the overall sound quality of an IEM and the selected tip is not just about comfort but in fact the overall performance, almost more than changing phones.

So just curious on the average time one’s taken to settle on a specific ear tip, did you find a size that was just perfect or a slight compromise with regards to fit while maintaining proper weight in the base, sound staging, treble (brightness or smoothness) etc…. So far the medium has given me the most base (maybe a bit too much) and dynamics, the large tips the smoothest overall presentation but the least base impact and extension. I’m currently trying the large “oval” tips and so far they appear to be the best compromise or maybe no compromise with my ears, but I'll give them a few more days.
The small are just too small and can get stuck in my ear. : )

Jul 10, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #5,426 of 7,998
  Hi Guys

I’ve come to notice the chosen tip can really make or break the overall sound quality of an IEM and the selected tip is not just about comfort but in fact the overall performance, almost more than changing phones.

So just curious on the average time one’s taken to settle on a specific ear tip, did you find a size that was just perfect or a slight compromise with regards to fit while maintaining proper weight in the base, sound staging, treble (brightness or smoothness) etc…. So far the medium has given me the most base (maybe a bit too much) and dynamics, the large tips the smoothest overall presentation but the least base impact and extension. I’m currently trying the large “oval” tips and so far they appear to be the best compromise or maybe no compromise with my ears, but I'll give them a few more days.

Stay with the medium if they fit.I found it the most natural and clear sounding,bass impact  heavily depends on source and usually the higher end source bring out much more control and texture but as always everyones ears are different size so what works for me with average/small ears may not be ideal for someone else.

Jul 10, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #5,427 of 7,998
  Stay with the medium if they fit.I found it the most natural and clear sounding,bass impact  heavily depends on source and usually the higher end source bring out much more control and texture but as always everyones ears are different size so what works for me with average/small ears may not be ideal for someone else.

As you say all depends on the size of ones ear canal, therefore one mans medium may be another man's large or small.
redface.gif

Jul 10, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #5,429 of 7,998
  Hi Guys

I'm using large, even though they get out of ears too easy. In short words, medium round are too small for my ears, and don't create seal at all, while round large do create a seal, but need to wash them after every single usage. 

In terms of sound, I get the largest soundstage out of the largest tips, especially as they are the only tips that conclude in a shallow insertion. 

I would recommend large round tips to everyone, given the sound, but I personally have been using smallest tips and deep insertion when I first bought ie800.

Given that it's a matter of taste, the larger the tip is, the larger the soundstage becomes. 

I use it on the train, while walking etc. They are like any other iem, so I do not see a problem taking them out. There are obvious places you would be worried about i.e beach, swimming pool etc. You treat them the same as you would any other iem logically (Obviously they are more pricey, so would one naturally treat it better than a cheap ear bud).

That's good to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back