Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Apr 9, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #4,981 of 7,998
  Oh quick question, does anyone use their IE800 with their iPhone 6s? Just wondering if they can drive it fine. 

On another note the Sony Z5 IEMs sound interesting as well, but I'm kinda trying to avoid loop over wires for IEMs.

SE846 is much easier to drive with iphone 6 if its answer your question. i've tried both and ie800 is half the way when using only with iphones..

Apr 9, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #4,985 of 7,998
  SE846 is much easier to drive with iphone 6 if its answer your question. i've tried both and ie800 is half the way when using only with iphones..

That being said, the ie800`s will perform more consistently from different sources while the se846 is more susceptible to output impedance. I don`t find the ie800`s to require amping, though they can benefit from a good dedicated DAC/AMP but are happy playing from my iPod Touch 4 and HTC M8, they do lose some dynamics from my iPod Nano 7g and 3g however. 

Apr 9, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #4,987 of 7,998
That being said, the ie800`s will perform more consistently from different sources while the se846 is more susceptible to output impedance. I don`t find the ie800`s to require amping, though they can benefit from a good dedicated DAC/AMP but are happy playing from my iPod Touch 4 and HTC M8, they do lose some dynamics from my iPod Nano 7g and 3g however. 

Agree. They do lose quite abit of dynamics when running out from iPod nano 7G. IE800 does really a good dedicated DAP to sound it's best. One of my best source pairing with it was the DP-X1. AK100ii wasn't able to bring out the dynamics too.

Apr 10, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #4,988 of 7,998
for those who can't get the fit of IE800, you can turn to Finder X1 by Echobox. Costing 199 USD, which is 1/3 the price of ie800, it retains >90% of the ie800 and provides a better fit.

Apr 10, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #4,989 of 7,998
  for those who can't get the fit of IE800, you can turn to Finder X1 by Echobox. Costing 199 USD, which is 1/3 the price of ie800, it retains >90% of the ie800 and provides a better fit.

Exactly. That 90% you speak of is not enough. 

It is named the law of diminishing returns. You have to pay exponentially more to get a little more. But it is okay, one day, ie800 will be the buds standard, and TOTL will be even more amazing. 

Apr 10, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #4,990 of 7,998

Exactly. That 90% you speak of is not enough. 

It is named the law of diminishing returns. You have to pay exponentially more to get a little more. But it is okay, one day, ie800 will be the buds standard, and TOTL will be even more amazing. 

definitely but the fit is not good.

Apr 10, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #4,991 of 7,998

definitely but the fit is not good.

My life is as it follows: 

I have to clean the tips after every single use with water + soap. And I have to clean my ears with peryoxyde before every use. I get a great fit for 2-3 hours this way. 

I am happy. The sound is good enough for me to take the 2 minutes needed to do these things XD

Apr 10, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #4,992 of 7,998

My life is as it follows: 

I have to clean the tips after every single use with water + soap. And I have to clean my ears with peryoxyde before every use. I get a great fit for 2-3 hours this way. 

I am happy. The sound is good enough for me to take the 2 minutes needed to do these things XD

cool bro!

Apr 13, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #4,993 of 7,998
Today I managed to lose my beloved Westone 4R IEM's 
frown.gif

So it's time to grab the credit card and purchase something new... And I'm dwelling between grabbing the Shure SE846, Westone W60, Sennheiser IE800 or even go custom molded with the Westone ES60.

I've had two high-end IEM's, the Westone 4R and the Westone UM3X and I did love them both. The 4R is more natural, whereas the UM3X feature a more bloated but incredibly detailed mid's and high's which I love as I love to listen to vocals and piano.

I did try the Sennheiser IE8 back in the day and I did not enjoy them one bit as I had a really hard time getting a decent fit in my ears due to the nozzle being huge and wrapping some Comply Foam ear-tips around the nozzle made the whole thing HUGE and it would simply not fit in my ear at all. But from what I have heard the IE800 does not really compare to the IE8 at all in terms of neither design or anything else.

How do you recon the Sennheiser IE800 would fit me as a replacement for my Westone 4R? Like I said, I'm one that listen to a lot of vocals and instrumental where I do fancy sharp, detailed, crisp and forward mids and highs like on my Sennheiser HD 800. I also enjoy a wide soundstage. I don't really care that much for bass, and I hate bloated bass that might drown those lovely, crisp and sharp mids and highs that I enjoy a whole lot.

I also tend to get custom molded silicon tips for my IEM's. I've got a local supplier that would love to give IE800 and go and see if they can make something that would fit them. How likely are they to succeed? It seems like there are next to none third-party ear-tips for the IE800 out there..

Apr 13, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #4,994 of 7,998
  Today I managed to lose my beloved Westone 4R IEM's 
frown.gif

So it's time to grab the credit card and purchase something new... And I'm dwelling between grabbing the Shure SE846, Westone W60, Sennheiser IE800 or even go custom molded with the Westone ES60.

I've had two high-end IEM's, the Westone 4R and the Westone UM3X and I did love them both. The 4R is more natural, whereas the UM3X feature a more bloated but incredibly detailed mid's and high's which I love as I love to listen to vocals and piano.

I did try the Sennheiser IE8 back in the day and I did not enjoy them one bit as I had a really hard time getting a decent fit in my ears due to the nozzle being huge and wrapping some Comply Foam ear-tips around the nozzle made the whole thing HUGE and it would simply not fit in my ear at all. But from what I have heard the IE800 does not really compare to the IE8 at all in terms of neither design or anything else.

How do you recon the Sennheiser IE800 would fit me as a replacement for my Westone 4R? Like I said, I'm one that listen to a lot of vocals and instrumental where I do fancy sharp, detailed, crisp and forward mids and highs like on my Sennheiser HD 800. I also enjoy a wide soundstage. I don't really care that much for bass, and I hate bloated bass that might drown those lovely, crisp and sharp mids and highs that I enjoy a whole lot.

I also tend to get custom molded silicon tips for my IEM's. I've got a local supplier that would love to give IE800 and go and see if they can make something that would fit them. How likely are they to succeed? It seems like there are next to none third-party ear-tips for the IE800 out there..

I would say Westone ES60

Apr 13, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #4,995 of 7,998
Have a repair emergency for my IE 800s and was hoping someone here could help. One of the acoustic vents popped out and now I have bad sound leakage. I haven't been able to identify any other issue, but the loss of the vent creates a perceived channel imbalance and loss of isolation that is annoying.

Sennheiser told me they don't provide replacement parts besides the transducer and tips, so I'm screwed. I was hoping someone here could point me in the direction of either an alternative to restore the balance or to someone with a broken pair they want to get rid of where I could just take the vents from it.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Also I'm always on the hunt to upgrade my amp/dac/dap setup to bring the most out of these IEMs. I'm running a Creative Soudblaster E5 through an iPhone 6 and at home a MacBook Pro and Lenovo t450s. I've been frustrated with how much less separation and soundstage I get when compared to using my friend's Maverick Audio DacMagic. Anyone have experience with a portable setup that makes the IE800 live up to its true potential?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back