Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Sep 18, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #4,141 of 7,998
  I actually prefer the oval tips but they don't stay put as well if movement is involved.  Any active listening goes to the round tips, at home listening I prefer the comfort of the ovals.
My ovals were marked S/M and M/L... did yours come with three sets?

My bad, no I have also only two sets of oval and 3 sets of round tips. I use the L size ovals. Mine are marked S and L only.

Sep 21, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #4,144 of 7,998
do these go well with the sony zx2? 
Depends what you want, with such a vague question that is like asking if Pepsi is better than Dr Pepper?!

At the very least, musical preference??

Sep 21, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #4,145 of 7,998
Depends what you want, with such a vague question that is like asking if Pepsi is better than Dr Pepper?!

At the very least, musical preference??

Additionally, which ZX2 do you mean? Some have found that the EU version is too hobbled by safety regulations to sufficiently drive the IE800. Others, with non-volume-capped versions of the ZX2 find that it's fully capable of driving the IE800—even to uncomfortable loudness, if so desired.

I use the Japanese ZX2 with the IE800 and find them to be extremely complimentary. The clarity and instrument separation on the ZX2 is augmented very nicely by the IE800's clarity. And the EQ options on the ZX2 also work very well to customize the sound to many individual tastes. I find the ClearBass option, frankly, amazing in its ability to increase the presence of low-end bass, without making it boomy or flabby.

Sep 21, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #4,147 of 7,998
  do these go well with the sony zx2? 

if the US has no volume cap you 'll be fine , if it is volume-capped you may have problems

at least this is the impression i got from a EU zx2 + ie800 owner

Sep 21, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #4,148 of 7,998
I think it is time to bring my IE800 out of retirement for one last hurrah, to see the reality of IE800 and EU ZX2...

Any music anyone wants me to try?

Sep 21, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #4,150 of 7,998
I think it is time to bring my IE800 out of retirement for one last hurrah, to see the reality of IE800 and EU ZX2...

Any music anyone wants me to try?

Hmm...

You know, I happen to have a particular J-Rock track that I obviously must have overlooked normalizing with mp3Gain. Consequently, every time it pops into my random rotation, I know I have about two seconds to lower the volume before I get my ear drums blasted.

I am curious to see if that track elicits the same sort of response from someone with the EU version of the ZX2.

Sep 21, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #4,151 of 7,998
Save it to an FTP / file sharing site and PM me the URL, am game to try :)

Sep 21, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #4,152 of 7,998
  Hmm...

You know, I happen to have a particular J-Rock track that I obviously must have overlooked normalizing with mp3Gain. Consequently, every time it pops into my random rotation, I know I have about two seconds to lower the volume before I get my ear drums blasted.

I am curious to see if that track elicits the same sort of response from someone with the EU version of the ZX2.

the point is whether normal-sounding albums can be listened with the eu zx2 + ie800 combo , at a say 70% of the total zx2 volume

albums that are victims of the loudness wars are not the ones we want to sound good , cause they are already ****ed, from a sonic point of view - right ? 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 21, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #4,153 of 7,998
That takes me back to the sticky point that one persons too loud will be another's too quiet and vice versa...

There is absolutely no way that what I say is my opinion (over a forum at least) can validate anyone else's purchasing decision when it comes to volume.

I guarantee in that same way, put 100 identical TVs next to each other and every person will have their own interpretation of what is bright, dull, or right...

Sep 21, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #4,154 of 7,998

And the EQ options on the ZX2 also work very well to customize the sound to many individual tastes. I find the ClearBass option, frankly, amazing in its ability to increase the presence of low-end bass, without making it boomy or flabby.

I would think the IE800 has plenty, otherwise, too much of a sub-bass presence. There is little mid bass but this helps to make vocals real transparent and sweet sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back