Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Apr 25, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #3,346 of 7,998
  I kinda wanna try convincing the whiplash audio dude to rewire my IE800 with Linum cable. It would be such an insane portable combo.

I'm sure I'll meet some resistance as he'll want to use his cables but eh I got some cash burning a hole in my wallet.

if i could ask someone to replace the cable, i would ask for putting ports in there to use ie8 cables.

or ports for usual shure cables, which are pretty generic and you can buy whatever other cable you want.

Apr 25, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #3,347 of 7,998
To be honest, I don't know for sure. Someone in Europe said that he spoke to Sennheiser and they confirmed it. Some other users had their IE 800 returned three or four times and (it seems like) their final model has got a soft cable.
In January, some other users reported not to have any problems with their 6 months old iems. I have my IE 800 for about five months and can't report any cable issues so far. When I ordered them in December I asked my dealer who told me they got the load shipped in November. He also added that there was no reported cable-related issue within the fast few months.
Given that, I assume that Sennheiser has changed the ingredients of the cables' coat in late summer or early fall.
Propably someone could forward the cable-related question to Sennheiser. Maybe they could answer if the rumors are true and from which serial number on the issues are fixed.
One thing is that they could propably deny it even if changes were made.

Apr 25, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #3,348 of 7,998
You have to send them with warranty (mine didn't have any since i bought them from ebay) or is a verification code enough?Something tells me i'll be screwed if the cable starts cracking
mad.gif

Apr 25, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #3,349 of 7,998
for you guys with the hardening cable problem, when did it start happening? 6 months? 1 yr? 2 yrs?

It depends on the person. Some people have no problems and others, like myself, were frequent flyers in the return-go-round. I replaced my first three pairs in the first 3 months of ownership. Roughly once a month. My current pair I've had since about Nov. of 2014 and so far no hardening BUT I just don't use them as much because of the cable issue. I imagine if you do a search in this thread for 'cable' you'll get the low-down on this problem.  

Apr 25, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #3,350 of 7,998

Not to disparage your tip but the hardening is just the beginning. I've had one of my cables start to crack soon after. I guess that's why Sennheiser replaces them with no hesitation. IMHO, just get them replaced if their still under warranty. 

As per Sennheiser, if IE800 is used at the gym, it will harden regardless:

IE800 is my gym IEM and to make matters worse, I wear them over-ear. They are unbearable with the cable down. It's like an earthquake is shattering my eardrums every time the cable touches anything plus they don't stay in very long as opposed to over ear.

As such, Sennheiser's assistance is no longer required.  

Apr 25, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #3,351 of 7,998

IE800 is my gym IEM. As such, Sennheiser's assistance is no longer required.

That's interesting. I've never taken my IE800 to a gym and they rarely even leave the house. I would still say it's a fatal design flaw.

Apr 25, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #3,352 of 7,998
  That's interesting. I've never taken my IE800 to a gym and they rarely even leave the house. I have limited mobility. I would still say it's a fatal design flaw.

True, but I knew what I was getting in to. I'm not complaining but rather justifying my intention to get a third party recable.

Apr 25, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #3,353 of 7,998

IE800 is my gym IEM and to make matters worse, I wear them over-ear. They are unbearable with the cable down. It's like an earthquake is shattering my eardrums every time the cable touches anything plus they don't stay in very long as opposed to over ear.

so yours will be reaclabe by another party?.. i would really like from sennheiser to resolve the problem, because i sweat a LOT, and i was going to use ie800 for gym over the ear.

Apr 25, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #3,354 of 7,998
so yours will be reaclabe by another party?.. i would really like from sennheiser to resolve the problem, because i sweat a LOT, and i was going to use ie800 for gym over the ear.

I’ve no plans of using the 800s on the gym primarily because of the cable length.

I use a cable clip included on the ie80s to prevent any cable noise on my 800s. Such a god sent. I have such a big face so wearing them over the ear chokes me. Such a shame.

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #3,355 of 7,998
I'm trying to get an optimal over-ear fit with the IE800 and various tips.

1. Can someone recommend tips that work without cannibalising the stock tips? Comply 200? Is this over-ear or normal?

2. Does anyone have a spare pair of stock tips I can buy? I want to cannibalise the cores.

3. Some talk of the Westone star tips?

Thanks!

Apr 27, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #3,357 of 7,998
Are people using the Comply tips over-ear or downward/normal?
I'm interested only for an over ear fit, because downward/normal is fine with stock.
Given the price and that only 1 of the 3 sizes will fit well, I don't want to buy them for nothing.

Apr 28, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #3,358 of 7,998
I've decided to RMA my IE800 (hardened cable). I've found the perfect gym IEM and will be taking my IE800 off that duty until further notice.

Question for those that already did an RMA: did you send your entire box/accessories or just the IEM's? I'd rather not risk delays if they ask for the box down the road. RMA center is in Quebec.

The documentation they sent me does not specify what I need to send in so I feel as though it's a grey area.

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #3,359 of 7,998
  I've decided to RMA my IE800 (hardened cable). I've found the perfect gym IEM and will be taking my IE800 off that duty until further notice.

Question for those that already did an RMA: did you send your entire box/accessories or just the IEM's? I'd rather not risk delays if they ask for the box down the road. RMA center is in Quebec.

The documentation they sent me does not specify what I need to send in so I feel as though it's a grey area.

I sent everything but the eartips. I've read others have sent just the IE800. Sennheiser replaces everything and usually in a sealed box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back