Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Dec 19, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #2,537 of 7,998
  I wonder if someone here on Head-Fi does custom IEM cable replacements at a reasonable price. 

would be awesome, if the replacement cable is balanced and lengthy enough to ware over ears comfortably

Dec 19, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #2,538 of 7,998
  stiffening cable, falling eartips, risk of broken cables and tons of issues....but I do not care, will manage it somehow. Wear over ear, send them for replacement, somehow manage it, this SQ is worth all the trouble. if one of the stock tips works, then your are set.

only hoping Sennheiser next release will have same SQ and zero issues.

Very true about the sound but everyone has to draw their own line in the sand. I'm getting close and will possibly sell the next replacement and move on.

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #2,540 of 7,998

Very true about the sound but everyone has to draw their own line in the sand. I'm getting close and will possibly sell the next replacement and move on.

What are you thinking of moving on to? 

good question, most likely bulky Shure one's. I like IE-800 because they are sound great and stock tips works for me, so just pop in and you are just entered an auditorium

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #2,542 of 7,998
  Thats what I love about the IE800s as well; The auditorium. Have you tried the SE846s? Are they a viable alternative to that?

The SE846 is much smaller in width and height than the IE800, but the depth of sound might be better.

I actually got the IE800's after the SE846 and was startled to discover the IE800 sounded better to my ears.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 19, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #2,543 of 7,998

Thats what I love about the IE800s as well; The auditorium. Have you tried the SE846s? Are they a viable alternative to that?

The SE846 is much smaller in width and height than the IE800, but the depth of sound might be better.

I actually got the IE800's after the SE846 and was startled to discover the IE800 sounded better to my ears.

I had a chance to A/B them for an short time, for me forward presentation of SE846 was no go and darker IE800 was an winner. I have IE800 on for last 7 hrs now and zero ear fatigue. 

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #2,544 of 7,998

I originally settled for the IE800 because I couldn't justify the cost of the SE846. I also already own the SE535 and question whether there is enough of a difference to warrant the SE846 upgrade. Now that my ears are a little more discerning, I seem to prefer the dynamic sound as opposed to multiple BAs'. Dynamics, like the IE800, seem to sound more cohesive. The short answer for what I would move onto, I don't know. Compared to other members here, I definitely feel like a lightweight, as far as how many Cans and IEMs I own. Still, I question my sanity for how much I've spent. If the IE800s go, I may just lay low for awhile and just enjoy what I already own, until the next big thing arrives.

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #2,545 of 7,998

I originally settled for the IE800 because I couldn't justify the cost of the SE846. I also already own the SE535 and question whether there is enough of a difference to warrant the SE846 upgrade. Now that my ears are a little more discerning, I seem to prefer the dynamic sound as opposed to multiple BAs'. Dynamics, like the IE800, seem to sound more cohesive. The short answer for what I would move onto, I don't know. Compared to other members here, I definitely feel like a lightweight, as far as how many Cans and IEMs I own. Still, I question my sanity for how much I've spent. If the IE800s go, I may just lay low for awhile and just enjoy what I already own, until the next big thing arrives.

Wise, next big thing could be IE-8000
wink_face.gif
, let us hope it arrives soon.

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #2,546 of 7,998
se846 can have 90%+ performance in bass comparing to ie800 which is a superb one, it wins in having a closer and sounds sweeter mids in vocal. But the weakness of se846 is sound stage and the rolled off treble.

se846 surely is better for most pop & rock + vocals. But for those who keen in instrumental presentation i.e. jazz & classical, ie800 surely cannot be replaced by se846.

Dec 19, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #2,547 of 7,998
  There are never experienced a problem for 2 years.
I wonder, is it not possible to change the cable yourself? Is it possible to open housing?

I've said this before, the people with problems seem to be in the minority but being in the minority sucks!

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #2,548 of 7,998
I've said this before, the people with problems seem to be in the minority but being in the minority sucks!
Being in the 'minority' myself, with a stiff, and split cable made me fed up enough to get the 846, and for me personally, glad I did...

Not only is isolation better but one thing that I didn't know annoyed me until I switched, the stiff (and SHORT) cable of the IE800 means that getting an effective, consistent seal whilst out on the road is all but impossible...

It is a shame, you can read back on all my IE800 posts from the past 12 months and they'll all be complimentary, but - not anymore :frowning2:

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #2,549 of 7,998

Being in the 'minority' myself, with a stiff, and split cable made me fed up enough to get the 846, and for me personally, glad I did...

Not only is isolation better but one thing that I didn't know annoyed me until I switched, the stiff (and SHORT) cable of the IE800 means that getting an effective, consistent seal whilst out on the road is all but impossible...

It is a shame, you can read back on all my IE800 posts from the past 12 months and they'll all be complimentary, but - not anymore
frown.gif

Well my problem is with 846, it takes a while to put them on..or take them out. I use IE800 mostly in office...on my desk, every 30 mins or so...someone will walk by for an discussion and I need pop them out. 

for on go, I always use PFE-232, but they are lesser IEM compared to IE800

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #2,550 of 7,998

It is a shame, you can read back on all my IE800 posts from the past 12 months and they'll all be complimentary, but - not anymore
frown.gif

I actually really appreciate everything that Sennheiser did with the IE800's ergonomics. Thin and short cable, therefore the cable isn't annoying nor are you shoving extra cable back into your pocket once you put your phone back your pocket in after changing a song or text someone or check e-mail or use my apps (I'll do this quite often). Not only that but because of the straight-down design, I'm able to pop them in and out easily not to mention the small shells allows me to throw them into my pocket without having any annoyance while walking with them in there.  I really never knew how much I valued portability until I actually had these. For me, they're the perfect commuter's IEM (considering the sound is to your liking as well). I don't find any issues with isolation although I do see how the Shures would provide better isolation (my se215ltds have the best iso i've experienced).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back