Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Jul 16, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #2,119 of 7,998
Is the stiffening of the cable caused by the wire or the insulation?   If the latter, has anyone tried applying petroleum jelly to see if it will keep it supple?   They recommend doing this with rubber gaskets to keep them from drying up and becoming brittle.
I've just applied liberally to the extension cable, and you know what, seems to have worked!!

Will report back in a couple of days with an update.

Jul 19, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #2,125 of 7,998
I've discovered on my daily dog walk that having the ie800 over ear reduces microphonics to shure se535 levels which is great. My concern now is that wearing them like this will reduce the life of the cable just like the shure se530 cable which eventually broke . Has anyone used these over ear for lengthy periods and has it caused any noticeable wear?

Not at all. They are just like new, but I'm very careful with my expensive stuff. Personally I feel they where designed for an over the ear fit. The distance between the splitter and the earphones are perfect for an over-ear fit for example. At least in my case.

Jul 19, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #2,127 of 7,998
Re petroleum jelly (or, yes - Vaseline!) certainly isn't what I could call a night and day difference (and no practical way to A/B) but certainly, since applying, cable tangle appears to be less, which is a definite win :)

Jul 19, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #2,129 of 7,998
What about the sq? I would expect them to be more 'refined' now?! :wink:
...When I put it in my ears, it muffled the treble, but boosted the bass!

:wink:

Definitely worth a look though, for those with stiffened cables :)

Jul 19, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #2,130 of 7,998
For you Canadians, Ncix is selling these for 600 this weekend. Unfortunately for me I need something more isolating.

Oops looks like it's back to regular price, either sold out or was price error

Users who are viewing this thread

Back