Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Jul 13, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #2,101 of 7,998
  I've strongly considered the Roxannes and even made an appointment to have my moulds taken... but it's a huge hassle. I'm also in Canada so the amount of time and taxes etc is a huge disincentive. I was told by the folks in Florida it would take at least 2 months after they received my mould to even send them on over. I also don't like the idea of the Roxanne's bass control feature, I get the sense it's a gimmick that will break or otherwise irritate me. 

With that said, I have been strongly reconsidering my decision not to buy a pair of Roxannes, I've never had a custom IEM and the reviews are pretty favourable all around. 

How much better than the Shure 846 could the Roxannes even be though? I'm using non-audiophile sources and a meridian DAC with these IEMs. Most of the added detail is likely going to be lost for my purposes.

I really just was blown away by the Shure 846s even running directly off an iPhone5s with standard iTunes download files with the usual iOS software. I do a ton of researching/drafting for hours and hours in my line of work and I need some way to tune out while at the office... while wearing a suit and otherwise being inconspicuous about it. The antennae-effect of the Shures isn't subtle... 

Maybe a more subtle cable for the shures then?  No idea if it's the same cable as the lowly 215's but I know I hated that particular cable with a vengeance.

I feel your pain about blocking out the noise in the office.  I (and I imagine others) use iems for exactly the same thing.  I'm lucky in that as long as I get on with it they don't really care what I use headphones wise. 

Jul 14, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #2,102 of 7,998
  I've strongly considered the Roxannes and even made an appointment to have my moulds taken... but it's a huge hassle. I'm also in Canada so the amount of time and taxes etc is a huge disincentive. I was told by the folks in Florida it would take at least 2 months after they received my mould to even send them on over. I also don't like the idea of the Roxanne's bass control feature, I get the sense it's a gimmick that will break or otherwise irritate me. 

With that said, I have been strongly reconsidering my decision not to buy a pair of Roxannes, I've never had a custom IEM and the reviews are pretty favourable all around. 

How much better than the Shure 846 could the Roxannes even be though? I'm using non-audiophile sources and a meridian DAC with these IEMs. Most of the added detail is likely going to be lost for my purposes.

I really just was blown away by the Shure 846s even running directly off an iPhone5s with standard iTunes download files with the usual iOS software. I do a ton of researching/drafting for hours and hours in my line of work and I need some way to tune out while at the office... while wearing a suit and otherwise being inconspicuous about it. The antennae-effect of the Shures isn't subtle... 

If you're in Montreal, I can let you compare the SE846/IE800. The IE800 is for sale by the way, since I have the Roxannes customs.

My preferences in sound are Roxanne>IE800>SE846

Cheers

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jul 15, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #2,103 of 7,998
Did anybody compare with Tralucent Ref 1 ?

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #2,104 of 7,998
Of those of you that have had replacement IE800s due to cable stiffening, did anyone have issues with the swap-out?

...I love the IE800 for their SQ, really truly do, but that ever stiffening cable is starting to annoy me...

Jul 15, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #2,105 of 7,998
Of those of you that have had replacement IE800s due to cable stiffening, did anyone have issues with the swap-out?

...I love the IE800 for their SQ, really truly do, but that ever stiffening cable is starting to annoy me...

Duncan what can you suggest after IE800 ? Do you have some models in your mind ? I'm very happy with my IE800 about 13 months,but sometimes I think ''if I change,which iem I can buy?''

Jul 15, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #2,106 of 7,998

Why not got for Roxanne UF?

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #2,110 of 7,998
I did not replace mine.
Somebody on the german hifi forum had his IE800 replaced seven times because of the cable becoming stiff all the time (he used to wear them over the ear).
I think he contacted sennheiser directly.
He also told that they solved the problem with the cable for the models with serial number 20000+

Jul 15, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #2,112 of 7,998
I've discovered on my daily dog walk that having the ie800 over ear reduces microphonics to shure se535 levels which is great. My concern now is that wearing them like this will reduce the life of the cable just like the shure se530 cable which eventually broke . Has anyone used these over ear for lengthy periods and has it caused any noticeable wear?

Jul 15, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #2,113 of 7,998
I'm primarily into trance music. Does anyone have any insight into how these perform on trance? 

Also, I'm coming as a former owner of the Westone 4 and UE 900 (decided to go to the next tier) and was wondering how these might compare to those?

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #2,114 of 7,998
Is the stiffening of the cable caused by the wire or the insulation?   If the latter, has anyone tried applying petroleum jelly to see if it will keep it supple?   They recommend doing this with rubber gaskets to keep them from drying up and becoming brittle.

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #2,115 of 7,998
  I'm primarily into trance music. Does anyone have any insight into how these perform on trance? 

Also, I'm coming as a former owner of the Westone 4 and UE 900 (decided to go to the next tier) and was wondering how these might compare to those?

Exceptionally capable.Expansive,airy soundstage,fantastic clarity and deep impactful bass help the ie800 shine with this genre or any dance/club songs.Not that it lacks anywhere 
smile.gif
.As i type this i am listening to passion from mosahar,good times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back