Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Jul 11, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #2,087 of 7,998
I just got my ie800 warranty replacement from sennheiser usa just when i was going for a jog. I got excellent fit out of the box, but I didn't understand why. I was using the tips from before and always had to make regular adjustments - particularly when running. The cables appeared to be the same length. After about an hour, i figured out what the difference was: the cables were supple and soft. Sennheiser appears to be using a more flexible cable now - not the stiff ones. This made a huge difference for me in terms of fit.

Does anyone know how long they been using these new cables? A few months ago they sent me a replacement cable. It was still the old stiff type.

Jul 11, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #2,088 of 7,998
I just got my ie800 warranty replacement from sennheiser usa just when i was going for a jog. I got excellent fit out of the box, but I didn't understand why. I was using the tips from before and always had to make regular adjustments - particularly when running. The cables appeared to be the same length. After about an hour, i figured out what the difference was: the cables were supple and soft. Sennheiser appears to be using a more flexible cable now - not the stiff ones. This made a huge difference for me in terms of fit.

Does anyone know how long they been using these new cables? A few months ago they sent me a replacement cable. It was still the old stiff type.

What serial number is your new one? My first pair were 180** and my replacement were 200** and both had the same soft cable.

Jul 11, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #2,089 of 7,998

Yes this is what I have noticed as well as I have two sets as I sent one back on warranty to be replaced I never knew the cables were this supple my first were really stiff out of the box....as far as microphonics go yes it could be better but I don't find it a major distraction and I also rest fitted and Sennheiser clip which I have extras and it works very well too....The sound on these are just great as owning the Shure SE846 as well I find I just prefer the sound of these a little more so than the Shure even though they're great too

Jul 11, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #2,091 of 7,998
Yes this is what I have noticed as well as I have two sets as I sent one back on warranty to be replaced I never knew the cables were this supple my first were really stiff out of the box....as far as microphonics go yes it could be better but I don't find it a major distraction and I also rest fitted and Sennheiser clip which I have extras and it works very well too....The sound on these are just great as owning the Shure SE846 as well I find I just prefer the sound of these a little more so than the Shure even though they're great too

I had trouble using a shirt clip for microphonics with the stiff cable.   The clip would leave too much slack.  Since the cable would not flex or bend much in response to motion, it would end up pushing the ear pieces out of place.  I had a workaround where i could limit the slack by using the cinch.  However, that made the experience kinda weird like tying up the hood on a jacket.  It also looked a little strange.  With the stiff cable, the simplest thing i found to do was to just use the cinch.  Each cable would be kept in place by pull from the opposite cable.  It didn't help much with the microphonics though.

However, with the soft cable, I was definitely able to use the clip to reduce microphonics - without compromising the fit!  It is impressive how simply using more flexible wire improved so much for me.

Jul 11, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #2,092 of 7,998
I had trouble using a shirt clip for microphonics with the stiff cable.   The clip would leave too much slack.  Since the cable would not flex or bend much in response to motion, it would end up pushing the ear pieces out of place.  I had a workaround where i could limit the slack by using the cinch.  However, that made the experience kinda weird like tying up the hood on a jacket.  It also looked a little strange.  With the stiff cable, the simplest thing i found to do was to just use the cinch.  Each cable would be kept in place by pull from the opposite cable.  It didn't help much with the microphonics though.

However, with the soft cable, I was definitely able to use the clip to reduce microphonics - without compromising the fit!  It is impressive how simply using more flexible wire improved so much for me.

Yes I see what you're saying, with my first set the cables were so stiff if you used the case to coil the cables when you took them out the upper portion would stay in that position until you straightened them back out fortunately I could wear them over ear ....this was before my strain reliefs split....I just didn't want to send them back at first because I loved the sound.

Jul 11, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #2,093 of 7,998

I bought my IE800 from a UK authorised dealer on 1st July this year.  I had to wait for them to come back into stock from Sennheiser, for a few days  The cables are supple and soft, but not having had a previous pair, I don't know what the "old" ones are like.  My serial is 21***

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #2,094 of 7,998
Guys may I ask one question? I t seems that all of you have or had some problem with these iems because you have a replacement pair. So my question is are they so defective? I bought one three weeks ago and I hope that they will survive three years minimum for that price, but it seems that they are very defective from what I read here.

Jul 11, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #2,095 of 7,998
  Guys may I ask one question? I t seems that all of you have or had some problem with these iems because you have a replacement pair. So my question is are they so defective? I bought one three weeks ago and I hope that they will survive three years minimum for that price, but it seems that they are very defective from what I read here.

They have a 2 year warranty, which will at least cover 2 of the 3 years you want.   As for the replacements, unfortunately, defects and fails are a reality with any product.  I don't know if i would say that the defect rate is particularly high with these or not.   Can't really tell.   Would need a head count of people who haven't had to return them to see the big picture.

Jul 11, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #2,096 of 7,998
Here is my experience:  My cables were originally soft and supple.  But, unfortunately, they got less and less so over the months that I had the IE800.

I just got them replaced under warranty for this reason.  Replacement pair is again soft and flexible.  I am just afraid that it will not last.

On the one hand, I love the cable.  It seems very strong and looks kinda cool.
On the other hand, I HATE the cable.  It is too short after the split and seems to harden over time. 

Jul 13, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #2,097 of 7,998
I've been using Shure 846's for months now and decided to pick up a pair of IE800's because they look more comfortable. Never have I been so thoroughly disappointed with a headphone purchase in my life. 

IE800 rant:

No sound isolation whatsoever is the deal-breaker: 

Unless you're in a perfectly silent room and sitting rather still you can't seriously begin to compare these to the Shure 846's because you can't hear them. That is, of course, unless you turn up the volume to dangerous levels, which I did briefly. The result was a little sad: there is clear potential for the IE800 drivers; at unacceptably dangerous volumes the treble was sharp and beautiful, there was wonderful instrument isolation and this whole situation simply highlighted what a poor design choice Sen made. The IE 800s ought to be in-ear IEMS like the bizarrely good Klipsch single driver phones that ton about a centimetre deep. The IE800s suffer from the Grado gr8-syndome: no isolation; the result is no contest between the IE 800s and the rather less comfortable Shure 846.

I really was so disappointed by the IE800s that I decided to finally register here and vent. I wanted to like these IEMs. I need an alternative to the Shure 846 and I can't even listen to my 535s or my 530s because, after being completely spoiled by the 846s, there's no going back. Needless to say, I'm returning my IE 800s. 

I wary of taking any other risks and considering buying a second pair of 846s... I may keep one set on neutral filter and play with the filter on the second set. I don't know. 

If anyone has suggestions with respect to a real alternative to the Shure 846s that meets the following criteria, I would be very sincerely grateful for your help:

1. Price is no object: 1,100.00$ is the base price for this replacement option (unless you know of something cheaper and better... which would be amazing);
2. They have to sound as good or better than the Shure 846 and they must have good to very good sound isolation;
3. They have to be highly portable in that they don't look awkward (the Shure wrap-around the ear situation, when taken with the cable rigidity, makes for two mini-antennae above my ears.);
4. Thank you all for your time !

Great forum, lurked for years - now I'm posting.  

Jul 13, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #2,098 of 7,998
I've been using Shure 846's for months now and decided to pick up a pair of IE800's because they look more comfortable. Never have I been so thoroughly disappointed with a headphone purchase in my life. 

IE800 rant:

Unless you're in a perfectly silent room and sitting rather still you can't seriously begin to compare these to the Shure 846's because you can't hear them. That is, of course, unless you turn up the volume to dangerous levels, which I did briefly. The result was a little sad: there is clear potential for the IE800 drivers; at unacceptably dangerous volumes the treble was sharp and beautiful, there was wonderful instrument isolation and this whole situation simply highlighted what a poor design choice Sen made. The IE 800s ought to be in-ear IEMS like the bizarrely good Klipsch single driver phones that ton about a centimetre deep. The IE800s suffer from the Grado gr8-syndome: no isolation; the result is no contest between the IE 800s and the rather less comfortable Shure 846.

I really was so disappointed by the IE800s that I decided to finally register here and vent. I wanted to like these IEMs. I need an alternative to the Shure 846 and I can't even listen to my 535s or my 530s because, after being completely spoiled by the 846s, there's no going back. Needless to say, I'm returning my IE 800s. 

I wary of taking any other risks and considering buying a second pair of 846s... I may keep one set on neutral filter and play with the filter on the second set. I don't know. 

If anyone has suggestions with respect to a real alternative to the Shure 846s that meets the following criteria, I would be very sincerely grateful for your help:

1. Price is no object: 1,100.00$ is the base price for this replacement option (unless you know of something cheaper and better... which would be amazing);
2. They have to sound as good or better than the Shure 846 and they must have good to very good sound isolation;
3. They have to be highly portable in that they don't look awkward (the Shure wrap-around the ear situation, when taken with the cable rigidity, makes for two mini-antennae above my ears.);

This is all symptomatic of a poor seal. When the IE800s fit properly they have perfectly good isolation (and sound great). As has been said here at length, their fit is quirky.

Jul 13, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #2,099 of 7,998

IE800 rant:

Westone W60 should be in that price range.  Whilst I'm leary about recommending something I have not heard, the cable softness and size difference of the shells would be enough to make a difference in comfort terms at least.

Of course with that sort of budget you could be looking at some fairly tasty customs  I would have thought.  Any reason you have not gone that route?

Jul 13, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #2,100 of 7,998
I've strongly considered the Roxannes and even made an appointment to have my moulds taken... but it's a huge hassle. I'm also in Canada so the amount of time and taxes etc is a huge disincentive. I was told by the folks in Florida it would take at least 2 months after they received my mould to even send them on over. I also don't like the idea of the Roxanne's bass control feature, I get the sense it's a gimmick that will break or otherwise irritate me. 

With that said, I have been strongly reconsidering my decision not to buy a pair of Roxannes, I've never had a custom IEM and the reviews are pretty favourable all around. 

How much better than the Shure 846 could the Roxannes even be though? I'm using non-audiophile sources and a meridian DAC with these IEMs. Most of the added detail is likely going to be lost for my purposes.

I really just was blown away by the Shure 846s even running directly off an iPhone5s with standard iTunes download files with the usual iOS software. I do a ton of researching/drafting for hours and hours in my line of work and I need some way to tune out while at the office... while wearing a suit and otherwise being inconspicuous about it. The antennae-effect of the Shures isn't subtle... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back