Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Jul 4, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #2,071 of 7,998
  How much noise leakage is there from having these vented?  I'm after something that's easy to put in, comfortable, discrete but blocks noise quite well as I would be using these in an office.  Customs and I don't get on that well for some reason so looking for alternatives.  I listen to rock and audiobooks out of either a 7th gen classic or clip plus.  I also tend to listen to 5-6 hours a day each day.

Thanks

I thought the same thing so i got the Mrs to listen closely in a quiet room and see if she could hear anything.She could hear the treble on a Electronic album when i had it louder than my normal listening volume and i like dance music loud! otherwise at normal volumes she had to be right up close and she could barely hear anything. a friend tried them on and he listens loud and i could just hear some feint treble.probably a little more than my shures leaked sound but not much.

Jul 4, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #2,072 of 7,998
  I thought the same thing so i got the Mrs to listen closely in a quiet room and see if she could hear anything.She could hear the treble on a Electronic album when i had it louder than my normal listening volume and i like dance music loud! otherwise at normal volumes she had to be right up close and she could barely hear anything. a friend tried them on and he listens loud and i could just hear some feint treble.probably a little more than my shures leaked sound but not much.

Yes,not much.Agree with you.Like Shures.

Jul 4, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #2,073 of 7,998
As the others have mentioned, the leakage is minimal at normal volumes.   There will be more of course at high volumes.

As for isolation, they are not the best at keeping ambient noise out.  Regrettably, the microphonics from the cable are likely to be the biggest distraction.

Jul 5, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #2,074 of 7,998
  As the others have mentioned, the leakage is minimal at normal volumes.   There will be more of course at high volumes.

As for isolation, they are not the best at keeping ambient noise out.  Regrettably, the microphonics from the cable are likely to be the biggest distraction.

So long as they can keep random talking and a small amount of noise (pc's, fans etc) out then I would be good to go.  As I am now sat at my desk for 95% of the time the microphonics shouldn't be an issue!

Jul 8, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #2,075 of 7,998
I received my replacement IE800s this morning. No rattle in this pair so I can enjoy the awesome sound these little fellas produce again . I had great service from custom cable here in the uk, they had the new pair out to me on next day delivery as soon as my faulty pair reached them. Highly recommended especially for sennheiser products as they are a club Orpheus retailer.

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #2,076 of 7,998
Has anyone had a rattle from one of their transducers on these? I noticed a rattle in the right ear with bass soI ran some test tones and sure enough my right headphone has a rattle!!! Gutted. Looks like they are going back.

First time I got the ie 800's I had the same problem with the right ear piece, that rattling usualy means the driver is blown, i also purchased mine from Custom Cable and were very good in providing me a replacement when i went back to the store.

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #2,077 of 7,998

First time I got the ie 800's I had the same problem with the right ear piece, that rattling usualy means the driver is blown, i also purchased mine from Custom Cable and were very good in providing me a replacement when i went back to the store.

Sennheisers service is exellent and when problem, thy just give you a new one,on the other hand an in ear of 699 Euro should not get defect this quick if at all.

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #2,078 of 7,998
Sennheisers service is exellent and when problem, thy just give you a new one,on the other hand an in ear of 699 Euro should not get defect this quick if at all.

True , although some
Manufacturing defects on such a tiny driver are probably really hard to completely avoid. . First thing I did this time was run test tones to make sure it was clean and no distortion or rattle. Absolutely perfect from 20hz to at least 18khz( I can't hear above this) . Hopefully I won't have any issues in the future because I do love these iems. I assume the fault on my first pair was always there but don't know for sure.

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #2,079 of 7,998
True , although some
Manufacturing defects on such a tiny driver are probably really hard to completely avoid. . First thing I did this time was run test tones to make sure it was clean and no distortion or rattle. Absolutely perfect from 20hz to at least 18khz( I can't hear above this) . Hopefully I won't have any issues in the future because I do love these iems. I assume the fault on my first pair was always there but don't know for sure.

The issue was apparent when I cranked up the volume (not to deafening levels) but on bassy tracks was obvious.

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #2,080 of 7,998
I've had my ie800 for about 3 weeks now. Initially it was quite "meh" .. Not as good as I expected. I had issues with fit and finding the right sound with different tips. Finally I have found my best fit was the medium round ones and stuck with those for the last week. Maybe it's brain burn in or the dynamic driver opening up...but the last 3 days I have found the sound so addictive that I've been up till 4am every night listening to everything I can find. Have to say now I know why these are special ... Very special I think. I think sound wise it does everything right ..great clarity and soundstage and bass is great when it's called upon. Just very musical . I don't think I've had a headphone ear bud, or iem that I wanted to keep listening to all night and can't stop ... Last night even fell asleep with them on. One thing I have found is the mids and vocals are more forward coming out of a iPad 2 than my iPhone 4. Hopefully the iPhone 6 sounds even better.

Jul 10, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #2,081 of 7,998
I've had them for 2 weeks now and I'm amazed at how good they sound.  I've been listening to Adele's "21" and her vocals on the IE800s are absolutely amazing, the clarity and detail, you can hear her every breath on these things!  Amazing.  Anyone contemplating getting these should just stop reading reviews and get them.  You will not be disappointed.

Jul 10, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #2,082 of 7,998
I think with all headphones and iems ... just can't be judged with a 10min audition at a shop where you don't get to use the best fitting tips and always feeling someone is watching you.
These took time to get the most out of them and they're really really good. 

Jul 10, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #2,083 of 7,998
After a test period of two weeks I returned mine. 
Too many drawbacks for the price.

1. No secure fit for me
2. Strong microfonics, not possible to wear them over the ear due to the Y-splitter
3. Below average isolation for an in-ear
4. Exciting sound, but becomes fatiguing after some time. Just a bit too much of a sub-bass boost and (especially) treble boost

If you just listen to them while seated being at home in a quiet environment they are great. But on the move they just don't do it for me
and simply can't tough the ergonomics of my phonak pfe 112.

Will miss their midrange and detailed bass though!

Jul 10, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #2,084 of 7,998
I have the same feeling about the microphonics and cable but I use them at my desk and in bed only. I use a ath-ie70 when I go out which seem like tanks in comparison and I wouldn't be upset if I loose or break them... easily just buy another set. Ie800 just seem too delicate and expensive to take out .. I'm always worried I'm going to pull the cable out if it gets snared on something. I did try to walk out the door with them a few times .. it's either cable noise or them being pulled out of my ears when I turn my head ... they're just not well designed to be used while walking. But the sound is so airy, smooth and musical, I can't get enough of it.

Jul 10, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #2,085 of 7,998
I have to say that microphonics is an issue but wearing them with the Y splitter clipped to my shirt collar (on the back) helps with this issue. I don't notice microphonics at all when walking around and they feel secure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back