Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Jun 27, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #2,026 of 7,998
So I just picked up mine two days ago.

I now have a couple of 1st world problems:

1) The Beyerdynamic A200P that I got to go with them does not enhance the sound appreciably to my ears as compared to the regular sound out form my iPad, iPhone or Macbook.
2) It turns out that I like the super dark signature of the IE800 better than the lean and detailed signature of my main office rig (T1 on A1). 
3) My on-the-go pair of Beyerdynamic DT 1350s are sorely ourclassed in terms of portability and sound isolation.

I dealt quite easily with 1) - returning the unit, which I bought used from Amazon Warehouse deals. As for 2) i already ordered a Crack with Speedball a couple of weeks ago, and hope that it will bring about a holy marriage of the better detail of the T1 and a warmer sound than the solid state A1 produces. I got a great price on the DT1350s, so perhaps I'll deal with 3) by just selling them off. Nice phones, but at a price difference factor of 4 they bloody well SHOULD be outclassed.

My only issue with the IE800s so far is that the L/R markings are almost impossible to make out for a guy in his 40s unless they are very brightly lit.

Jun 27, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #2,027 of 7,998
well I think, that on the rubber at the end of the headphones where is R and L marking on left earphone there is a little dot so you can see it or recognize it with touch which headphone is it left or right.

Jun 27, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #2,028 of 7,998
Also, the tips point (angle) forward when looking from overhead, that is how I tell...

Jun 27, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #2,029 of 7,998
have the IE800 here and listening to them for about an hour.
Indeed impressive.
The hifiman Re-400 sounds so very different and unexciting compared to the IE800.
Putting them in, right after the IE800 makes them sound like a kitchen radio with certain songs,
cause the mids seem so forward, lacking sparkle and bass rumble.
IE800 is definately not neutral. But **** who cares :D

Jun 27, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #2,030 of 7,998
Welcome to the club 
smile.gif
.What dap are you using?

Jun 27, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #2,031 of 7,998
have the IE800 here and listening to them for about an hour.
Indeed impressive.
The hifiman Re-400 sounds so very different and unexciting compared to the IE800.
Putting them in, right after the IE800 makes them sound like a kitchen radio with certain songs,
cause the mids seem so forward, lacking sparkle and bass rumble.
IE800 is definately not neutral. But **** who cares :D

Not neutral but sometimes a little bit of boosted bass is needed to give some life to the music! Nothing beats hd800 for bass accuracy and neutrality IMO and I've just been listening to them since getting the ie800. There is no doubt the hd800 bass is neutral and as a result less intrusive on the overall sound but I did miss that fun ie800 bass. What I do like is the ie800 bass doesn't muddy the rest of the mix, it just adds a nice visceral quality whilst remaining fast and tight/ detailed. One example is the bass guitar in supersoaker by kings of Leon. With the hd800 you can clearly pin point the bass player centre right and it is a clean precise image, and if I knew guitars I could probably tell you which make it was . with ie800 it's still obvious centre right but the image is less precise and clear because that added sub bass very slightly drowns out the detail but the resulting impact from that guitar is more satisfying. Both are great in their own way.

Jun 27, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #2,032 of 7,998
I'm using a beyerdynamic A200p (review sample) + my windows8 tablet. 
the a200p is not working with my samsung galaxy nexus.

So not a good DAP to start with.

James-Uk, I'm also having the HD800 for about two years now. Though I EQ them
for that extra bass and to remove some treble issues.
I agree that the IE800 bass is very satisfying though.

Jun 27, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #2,034 of 7,998
Just keep burning them in guys.The sibilance that you may be experiencing in the first hours disappears around the 150hour mark and the treble also settles in nicely.

I've noticed zero sibilance and the treble is fine. If anything a could do with a touch more treble and I'm not a treble head. In fact the only aspect of the sound that I could maybe pick at being troublesome is the bass quantity. But that said looking at recent developments at Harman in headphone frequency response it might turn out that the bass on these is actually more 'accurate' than current 'neutral ' headphones.

Jun 27, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #2,035 of 7,998
Really?I remember the prolonged ss somehow  bothered me in the first dozen hours especially with female vocals.I agree about the boosted bass but it's quality,deep well controlled bass and as you found out does not encroach on mids.

Jun 27, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #2,037 of 7,998
I don't hear sibliance either.
There can be some harshness in the treble, but it's above sibliance area I think.

Asked my girlfriend to listen to them. She listened to 2-3 songs...plugged them out without saying anything.
:frowning2:
I told her before what those cost :D

Jun 27, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #2,039 of 7,998
I don't hear sibliance either.
There can be some harshness in the treble, but it's above sibliance area I think.

Asked my girlfriend to listen to them. She listened to 2-3 songs...plugged them out without saying anything.
:frowning2:
I told her before what those cost :D

Ha ha I always make my better half listen to my new headphones and she says the same thing Every time "sounds like a pair or headphone" What!!! "You are kidding me" I say. "These are supa dupa the best ever xyz headphone" and she just shrugs and says "whatever makes you happy babe " ................... I think she hates me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back