Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Jun 26, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #2,011 of 7,998
First impression, where is the bass?!!!!!!!! Instantly knew the supplied tip was a poor fit, Even though it felt like it went in ok. I put the smallest round tip on and the fit felt much better and the seal felt great. Pressed play.................... Wow! These little bad boys are instantly awesome!!!! Straight from my I phone 5 with 240 Kbps acc they sound like mini hd800s with a touch more bass! My hd800 rig totals about £2500!!!!! I'm impressed. These are my instant 'new toy' impressions with an album I've only listened to a few times on my hd800s ( Ed sheerans X) time to go through my reference tracks and see what they sound like from the O2 /odac. I think I'm gonna love these !

Jun 26, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #2,012 of 7,998
First impression, where is the bass?!!!!!!!! Instantly knew the supplied tip was a poor fit, Even though it felt like it went in ok. I put the smallest round tip on and the fit felt much better and the seal felt great. Pressed play.................... Wow! These little bad boys are instantly awesome!!!! Straight from my I phone 5 with 240 Kbps acc they sound like mini hd800s with a touch more bass! My hd800 rig totals about £2500!!!!! I'm impressed. These are my instant 'new toy' impressions with an album I've only listened to a few times on my hd800s ( Ed sheerans X) time to go through my reference tracks and see what they sound like from the O2 /odac. I think I'm gonna love these !

I am sure you will, does anyone have experience with buying These on Ebay, and if so what with the warranty?

Jun 26, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #2,013 of 7,998
Damn these are clean sounding. Almost to clean. The mids are lovely and I've only noticed maybe a touch of definition missing in some guitar work and violins but it's nothing really . The highs are perfect in volume and balance but I do feel they are a little 'lightweight' at times. A bit like some of the impact is lost . It's hard to describe but again it's nit picking .the bass is superb! I love it and maybe it is slightly boosted but I find it more engaging that way. It certainly doesn't have an impact on the rest of the spectrum and it remains very tight and defined . I'm comparing the sound to the hd800s which says a lot about these little beasts already. Transparency is excellent and I love the airy soundstage /separation / openness which is remarkably similar to the hd800, didn't expect it to be anywhere near. It's more in the head than hd800 but it's still amazing how good the soundstage is with a 7mm driver! I do think the overall tonal balance is very close to hd800 with a tiny bit less weight in the mids and highs and slightly more bass , not as much bass as I was expecting, I think I prefer the ie800 bass weight to the hd800s , the sub bass on daft punks doin' it right is jaw dropping! . I couldn't be happier with these, they are outstanding . I could live with these as my only headphone .

Jun 26, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #2,014 of 7,998
That's a refreshing view and validates the argument that i had in a previous thread with someone who implied that all of us who spent this money or more are fools and the sweet spot for iems is $200 
wink.gif

Jun 26, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #2,015 of 7,998
That's a refreshing view and validates the argument that i had in a previous thread with someone who implied that all of us who spent this money or more are fools and the sweet spot for iems is $200 :wink:

I've not heard lots if iems and I can only compare to the phones I own or have heard. I can't imagine a $200 dollar iem to touch these but then again I couldn't imagine these getting within touching distance of the HD800. I've just been for a long walk with the dog and I did notice how bad the microphonics are but once music was on I barely noticed it. Isolation is also better than I expected with music on but the shures are way better in this department. They are also really comfortable and i almost forget they are in, especially with that open sound that sounds like I'm listening to a full size open back can.

Jun 26, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #2,018 of 7,998
The ie800 are highly engineered iems despite being a single dynamic driver that  in the not too distant past were $1000.It's not hard to believe that sennheiser's totl iem has 80-90% the sound of their totl headphone.I simply do not see a $200 iem coming close to that fantastic all around sound unless the company that makes them has some magicians that are working for free.I have or have heard some of the best midrange iems like w4r,pfe232,535,fischer amps fa-4 e,asg2 and even though the last 2 come close to clarity,detail and separation they are not as balanced(low,mid,high),open,rich and musical sounding.Now the Atrio MG7 that the guy posted obviously has to be incredible value for money based on reviews and impressions by the users but i cannot believe that the difference between these and ie800 is minimal.

Jun 26, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #2,019 of 7,998
Ok guys, I also pulled the trigger.
I must be insane spending so much money on IEMs :confused_face:

Now that is one weird feeling of anticipation  :D

It's worth every penny! They are incredible . Nothing phases them . I've thrown everything at them and they just present it with ease. The resolution is outstanding and that bass! Wow. Then there is that Beautiful mid range, its classic high end sennheiser. Absolutely love these. The only down side is I like buying things and I don't need any more headphones or related gear. Mmmmm what now ? Maybe it's time to plan a holiday just so I can travel somewhere with the ie800 :)

Jun 26, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #2,020 of 7,998
I finally took the plunge after reading through this thread for a week. I'm new to high end iems and I have to say ie800 do not disappoint. I'm hearing detail and clarity I haven't heard before! Awesome.

Jun 27, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #2,021 of 7,998
Personally, I'm starting to think that these are like a fine wine, mature with age, these now far outstrip the TF10 as my IEM that I've used for the longest period of time without wanting to try something different.

I cannot really see a logical upgrade path to these, although I'm sure I'll see something at some point that will convince me otherwise... Until that point, still a very happy IE800 owner :)

Jun 27, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #2,024 of 7,998

I wonder if our perception is the same which we have when we are looking at a Mercedes Benz and or BMW car. They have to be automaticly superior ,not also but certainly due to their Price. I am sure there are many really good IEM´s at half the Price or even less,like for example the Fostex TE-05, but most of those are produced in China, and not like the IE800 exclusive in Germany. Second there are the sources, which recordings, on what devices, with or without  DAC /Amp , that have an imortant influence on the Performance of an IEM.
Normally when having a luxury IEM as the 800, you would expect the search comes to an end, and you finally have the time to actually listening to Music instead of being busy all the time with the gear, but for some it seems than the latter is the Hobby more than the music it self....

Jun 27, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #2,025 of 7,998
Well for some there could be a problem with the fit as these are designed for shallow insertion and they could be falling off after a period or simply  do not fit the shape of the ear.That can have an impact on sound.The fact that the tips are proprietary does not help although the comply tips are an alternative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back