Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Apr 1, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #1,787 of 7,998
The RCS 800 does work on the iPhone (tested with an iPhone 5s). Only the volume buttons do not work. With the center button you can start Siri, play/pause, skip, go to previous. Or summarised by an Sennheiser representative from the Headoffice:

1. when you use an RCS 800 with an iPhone you could:
    1. take, decline and end calls by pressing the middle button,
    when the iPhone is in telephone mode
    1. play and stop music by pressing the middle button once, 
    2. change to the next track by pressing the middle button twice, 
    3. change to the previous track by pressing the middle button three times,
    when the iPhone is in "Music" mode.

The volume + and - buttons are not working with an iPhone.

I can use them easily on my bike, with my coat opened to the point where the microphone hangs. Siri works easily and when on the phone I've never heard people ask if I could repeat my sentence (even while riding my bike when it's breezing). The control-tube is a little bit thicker that the IE 800 plug (see pictures) and the plug is not gold-plated. The kevlar cable is the same though.

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #1,788 of 7,998
  Which tip is better for your ear canal,use it.Some users use Complys(T200).You can think about it.

Yes,microphonics is big problem in general,but IE800's sound recoups it.

i use stock preinstalled tips. It's OK.

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #1,792 of 7,998
  is it heavy? looks quite bulky

It's bigger than I expected, but I would call them light. I guess it's because they used plastic for the control-tube housing, instead of the rubber material of the IE 800 plugs. Would have been nicer if they would have used aluminium for the housing, the buttons seem to be aluminium though.

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #1,794 of 7,998
I was really considering purchase of rcs 800 until saw the price. common, it's just the cable...

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #1,795 of 7,998
How do you find the mic being so low on the cable, at the y-split?

Do you find you have to lift it up to your mouth to be heard, or does it work OK just leaving it hanging?

It's ok, I didn't lift it up and I asked some friends whilst on the phone, they said my voice sounded clear and natural.

Apr 2, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #1,796 of 7,998
  I was really considering purchase of rcs 800 until saw the price. common, it's just the cable...

It's a lot of money, but is it really out of whack with the market?

If you have a look at the price of aftermarket "boutique" IEM cables and extensions people buy which arguably have a less professional finish than the one made by Sennheiser - it doesn't seem outrageous.

People assume these boutique cables have some magic properties, but I would personally trust Sennheiser to make a higher quality, more functional cable than any of them.

Apr 2, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #1,797 of 7,998
I would also have trusted Sennheiser to follow through on the production of a cable for a market leading phone.  I saw teh prototype over 18 months ago and find it very strange that they cannot produce it.  How many other headphones do Senn make with iPhone control (including volume) that are a fraction of the price of this cable?

I have bought many aftermarket cables for headphones and IEMs and can state that I am happy with their own 'signature' in that they really do change the sound heard.  The best example is a Senn HD25 with teh original steel cable, then an HD-600 copper cable, then a TWAg silver cable.  You will be stunned at the difference between all of them.

Back to the topic.  I feel that asking full price for an RSC800 cable for use on an iDevice is not something I am happy to do.

Amen

Sceptre

Apr 2, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #1,798 of 7,998
Thanks but how can I contact with him ?

http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/

Your best bet is through his website through email. He generally responds very very quickly and is a very nice person to work with. The cable is expensive but the quality is awesome. I'm listening to the cable he sent me now with my shure se846's. Peter made me a custom cable for my se846's as well so that I can use the iphone cable with my se846's. Basically he made a connector with a 2.5 jack with shure connectors on the end. This way I can easily swap between my ie800's and se846's without having to buy a whole other cable. He also made me a short 2ft lower cable for use with my sony sbh52. Overall he was very flexible and worked with me to make the perfect custom cables for me!!

Needless to say I'm a very satisfied customer. As I get more use with it I'll make a post about the cable. Until then if you guys have any questions let me know!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apr 3, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #1,799 of 7,998
  I would also have trusted Sennheiser to follow through on the production of a cable for a market leading phone.  I saw teh prototype over 18 months ago and find it very strange that they cannot produce it.  How many other headphones do Senn make with iPhone control (including volume) that are a fraction of the price of this cable?

I have bought many aftermarket cables for headphones and IEMs and can state that I am happy with their own 'signature' in that they really do change the sound heard.  The best example is a Senn HD25 with teh original steel cable, then an HD-600 copper cable, then a TWAg silver cable.  You will be stunned at the difference between all of them.

Back to the topic.  I feel that asking full price for an RSC800 cable for use on an iDevice is not something I am happy to do.

Amen

Sceptre

Maybe they want to see if the Android/WP one sells well enough to justify the manufacturing of the Apple version.

There are many more Android devices in circulation than iPhones, so it makes sense to lead with that version.

As for differences in sound and cable material - I am on the fence and won't express an opinion. I used to be sure that there was no sonic difference, but recently I have had some experiences that made me think twice. Certainly these metals have different conductivity, so there is some difference to the circuit by changing it. 

But my point was not that aftermarket cables don't do anything - it was that that Sennheiser has access to all the same metal wires the aftermarket people are using, access to the same sheilding and sheaving material, and the manufacturing tools for a much higher quality finish.

People are happy to pay hundreds for a cable essentially made by a DIYer with a business, but will call a cable made by Sennheiser over-priced if it is sold at the same (or even less) market rate? That doesn't make sense to me.

If anything, I would trust Sennheiser high end to develop the best cable for the IE800 (or any of their other products) and I don't know why there is a perceived higher value placed on a cable a third party made.

Apr 3, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #1,800 of 7,998
As a person who's been using the RCS 800 for the last few days, I must say I'm very happy with the purchase. It works flawlessly with my Sony Xperia Z1 Compact and is of very high quality. I think this cable delivers sound the way Sennheiser engineers intended. If you have an Android/WP/Blackberry phone, there's nothing to hesitate really. I really hate that many iem manufacturers make only iDevice cables and no Android ones so it's really surprising to see it's the other way around now. If I had an iPhone, I wouldn't buy RCS 800 either, controlling volume makes life so much easier.

Oh and IE 800s are so amazing that my Momentums aren't as impressive as they were before, which is sad cause I really like Momentums as well. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back