Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Mar 8, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #1,711 of 7,998

True the SE846 does come with better overall accessories but I feel that the case that comes with the IE800 is much better than the SE846 but that's purely subjective.  I just like that the case was built explicitly for the IE800's whereas the Shure case is just a standard oval Shure case...

Yes,IE800's case classy and pretty.But,846's case is more safer.

Mar 8, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #1,712 of 7,998
Thank you. They are both on my short list . I currently use se535 for portable use and I really like them but miss the detail I get from hd800s . I really like their warm easy signature though . Looking at the graphs the 846 seem to have a very similar signature to the 535s. Can you confirm that ? The only things putting me off the ie800s are non replaceable cable and worse isolation than I'm used to but I get the impression the sound will be better extended and more open.

Yes,I think the non replaceable cable is the only problem for me.But,Sennheiser tells it is a special,plait cable.And if you don't prejudice it knowingly,it is so durable for many years.

And if it opens,damaged or etc in the cable(in warranty length),Sennheiser can change it with new product.

They told me these in here.

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #1,714 of 7,998
Recently I saw more and more fake ie800 on Chinese shops, anybody know how close they are in look? Should I be afraid if buying used ie800?

Can you share the link of it ? I'm shocked.How can they produce the replica of IE800 ? 

Edit:I searched now.And I found in Aliexpress.And I couldn't believe.

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #1,716 of 7,998
  Yes,I think the non replaceable cable is the only problem for me.But,Sennheiser tells it is a special,plait cable.And if you don't prejudice it knowingly,it is so durable for many years.

And if it opens,damaged or etc in the cable(in warranty length),Sennheiser can change it with new product.

They told me these in here.

Sennheiser cables are some of the nicest made - I love the cable on my IE8/IE80 - supple and strong - SQ-wise, who knows. But if anyone was going to stick me with a non-replaceable cable - Sennheiser would the most acceptable.

Mar 8, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #1,717 of 7,998
  Sennheiser cables are some of the nicest made - I love the cable on my IE8/IE80 - supple and strong - SQ-wise, who knows. But if anyone was going to stick me with a non-replaceable cable - Sennheiser would the most acceptable.

Yes,cable is nice build and look.It is a special cable also.

And it looks like snake.I love look of the cable.

Mar 9, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #1,718 of 7,998

IE8 cable was much better than IE800 cable, which is the main problem with these otherwise fantastic IEMs, imo. Unfortunately the upper part of the cable will become very stiff and microphonic after a while of usage. The good thing is that Sennheiser replaces IE800s with stiff cables under warranty.

Mar 9, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #1,719 of 7,998
IE8 cable was much better than IE800 cable, which is the main problem with these otherwise fantastic IEMs, imo. Unfortunately the upper part of the cable will become very stiff and microphonic after a while of usage. The good thing is that Sennheiser replaces IE800s with stiff cables under warranty.

i wondered why mine were becoming more difficult to keep the monitors in my ears. I noticed the upper cable feels like fencing wire and i just wasnt sure if it was like that from the beginning. To find out now that it isn't just me and its an issue is good news. I will enquire to see if i can get the cable replaced.

I bought mine Dec 2012 which is 16 months - whats the warranty - 1 year or 2 years ?

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #1,720 of 7,998
  Anyone here play games with these? I just realized that these don't pinpoint sound very accurately when you're playing games.

I didn't play but I tried with my phone and laptop.I watched The Dark Knight and IE800 performed very well.İmagination was awesome. 

Mar 10, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #1,721 of 7,998

i wondered why mine were becoming more difficult to keep the monitors in my ears. I noticed the upper cable feels like fencing wire and i just wasnt sure if it was like that from the beginning. To find out now that it isn't just me and its an issue is good news. I will enquire to see if i can get the cable replaced.

I bought mine Dec 2012 which is 16 months - whats the warranty - 1 year or 2 years ?

My cable also gets a little stiff but I usually find that after wearing it for a bit it loosens up... does this happen with yours or is it always stiff?  I wonder if they intentionally designed it this way?

Mar 10, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #1,722 of 7,998
Thank you. They are both on my short list . I currently use se535 for portable use and I really like them but miss the detail I get from hd800s . I really like their warm easy signature though . Looking at the graphs the 846 seem to have a very similar signature to the 535s. Can you confirm that ? The only things putting me off the ie800s are non replaceable cable and worse isolation than I'm used to but I get the impression the sound will be better extended and more open.

I actually still have my se535's... To me, I find the 535's to sound much flatter than the se846's... the se846's sound better to me in almost every way and the lower impedance helps a lot with driving from mobile devices.  I'm on the fence on whether or not to keep the se535's.  The se535's are much more comfortable to wear than the se846's as they are lighter and almost disappear in to my ears.  I may try some different comply tips with my se846's.  I got some small Comply Tsx-100's to use with my 846's because I've never used them before and was curious but have found that I prefer the Tx-100's.  In any case, once I go through these I'll switch back to see if it helps make them feel more comfortable.  As far as sound goes, though, to my ears the se846's sound much more full than the 535's due to the extended sub bass.

As far as the cable goes on the ie800's, I really can't complain about it too much.  The cable is made of kevlar and seems to be very durable.  Others have mentioned the upper cable being a bit stiff but I find that after using it for a bit, it loosens up...  In any case, I may contact sennheiser to see if it's  defect or not.

Mar 10, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #1,723 of 7,998

I'm sure my cable was flexible in the beginning, like the lower part still is. It suddenly became stiff when I started to fall asleep with them in my ears. It probably has something to do with sweat. I'm not sure how long the warranty is for you. For me in Germany it is 2 years. They don't replace the cable. You would get a new ie800 from them.
Sennheiser, at least the headquarter in Germany, is known to have excellent customer service. Even if your warranty would have been expired, you still would have a good chance to get the replacement I think. I really hope they can fix the issue. I'm sure they are aware of the problem. I know of people who have the 4th ie800 from them, because of the cable issue.

Mar 10, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #1,724 of 7,998
Did anybody change the IE800,cause of the first part of the cable ? I talked with Sennheiser in here.If first part of the cable becomes open or split,they will replace with new IE800.

''These products are untouchable,on the cable if it is not your fault we will replace it'' they said.

Mar 10, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #1,725 of 7,998
I'm sure my cable was flexible in the beginning, like the lower part still is. It suddenly became stiff when I started to fall asleep with them in my ears. It probably has something to do with sweat. I'm not sure how long the warranty is for you. For me in Germany it is 2 years. They don't replace the cable. You would get a new ie800 from them.
Sennheiser, at least the headquarter in Germany, is known to have excellent customer service. Even if your warranty would have been expired, you still would have a good chance to get the replacement I think. I really hope they can fix the issue. I'm sure they are aware of the problem. I know of people who have the 4th ie800 from them, because of the cable issue.

I sent them a message as my cable is a little stiff.  We'll see what they say/do...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back