Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Mar 3, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #1,697 of 7,998

Mar 5, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #1,698 of 7,998
http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-5/audio-quality.htm

Here is the review if anyone is interested. It made me realise I don't need an extra expensive thing to carry around to enjoy my iems .

That guy (Ken) talks a HELL of a lot of sense.

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #1,699 of 7,998

That guy (Ken) talks a HELL of a lot of sense.

Maybe so, but - I can tell you that the HiFi M8 makes the overall listening experience a lot more pleasurable than listening straight out of the iPhone...

I guess I should be happy that is the case, else I'd be a bit upset at paying out for an outboard device that didn't do what it was supposed to!!

Mar 7, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #1,701 of 7,998
  Has anyone tried the modified ie800 yet? I emailed ALO audio but they haven't replied yet. I guess if you send in your ie800's it would just be the upper part of the cable...

I haven't sent mine off to anyone for modification but I do have a cable on the way from Peter at double helix.  It's just the lower portion of the cable but I'm also having him create another upper cable that can work with my Shure SE846's.  The lower cable that Peter is making for me will also have a mic/remote button as well.  This way I can easily switch between my IE800's and SE846's and still be able to use the cable for switching tracks on my iphone.  The only thing that is disappointing is that the mic/remote is only a one button remote without volume controls but from what I understand getting mfi is costly.  In any case, I expect the cable/etc from Peter to be a big upgrade over the stock cables with either of the earbuds I own.  Once I get it, I'll make sure to post some pics...  at this point I think I'm still a few weeks away from getting it.

Mar 7, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #1,702 of 7,998
I haven't sent mine off to anyone for modification but I do have a cable on the way from Peter at double helix.  It's just the lower portion of the cable but I'm also having him create another upper cable that can work with my Shure SE846's.  The lower cable that Peter is making for me will also have a mic/remote button as well.  This way I can easily switch between my IE800's and SE846's and still be able to use the cable for switching tracks on my iphone.  The only thing that is disappointing is that the mic/remote is only a one button remote without volume controls but from what I understand getting mfi is costly.  In any case, I expect the cable/etc from Peter to be a big upgrade over the stock cables with either of the earbuds I own.  Once I get it, I'll make sure to post some pics...  at this point I think I'm still a few weeks away from getting it.

How do the se846 compare to the ie800?

Mar 7, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #1,703 of 7,998
How do the se846 compare to the ie800?

The SE846 has more deep end bass  but the mids on the IE800 sound better to me.  The IE800's don't lack in the bass dept at all but the SE846's have a bit more bass punch.  The IE800's also sound more open to me but I realize that will be more subjective do to everyone's ear shapes/sizes...  In any case, both are fantastic earbuds though and I believe they are more complementary to each other mostly due to the designs.

For me, at least, the IE800's are more comfortable to wear for longer durations whereas the SE846's are huge in comparison to wear and can be a little fatiguing at times.  On the flip side, the SE846's isolate sound much better than the IE800's.  So depending on where I am I'll use different earbuds.  On a plane I almost always prefer the SE846's because they isolate sound better but if it's a really long flight I might find myself changing out earbuds mid flight to give my ears some rest from the SE846's.

One other thing to note is that the impedances are different on these buds so if you're like me and like listening at low volumes from time to time, the IE800's seem to be easier to drive from a mobile device at lower volumes due to the higher impedance.

Mar 7, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #1,704 of 7,998

The SE846 has more deep end bass  but the mids on the IE800 sound better to me.  The IE800's don't lack in the bass dept at all but the SE846's have a bit more bass punch.  The IE800's also sound more open to me but I realize that will be more subjective do to everyone's ear shapes/sizes...  In any case, both are fantastic earbuds though and I believe they are more complementary to each other mostly due to the designs.

For me, at least, the IE800's are more comfortable to wear for longer durations whereas the SE846's are huge in comparison to wear and can be a little fatiguing at times.  On the flip side, the SE846's isolate sound much better than the IE800's.  So depending on where I am I'll use different earbuds.  On a plane I almost always prefer the SE846's because they isolate sound better but if it's a really long flight I might find myself changing out earbuds mid flight to give my ears some rest from the SE846's.

One other thing to note is that the impedances are different on these buds so if you're like me and like listening at low volumes from time to time, the IE800's seem to be easier to drive from a mobile device at lower volumes due to the higher impedance.

And IE800 has amazing stage and imagination.In classic and trance IE800 better.But,in jazz,blues etc. 846 is better.IE800 can be harsh sometimes in these genres.

And I think IE800 is more natural to 846.But,mostly listeners think 846 is more natural.

It is all about treat,pleasure.Which IEM is better for your music genres and your ears,keep going with them.

I compared 846 and IE800.In comfort and sound IE800 better.846 hurted my ears.It is big a bit.

In look,box,accessories,build 846 is better for me.

IE800 is a different world.And different iem for me. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I listen with iHifi 760 currently.

Mar 7, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #1,705 of 7,998
  And IE800 has amazing stage and imagination.In classic and trance IE800 better.But,in jazz,blues etc. 846 is better.IE800 can be harsh sometimes in these genres.

And I think IE800 is more natural to 846.But,mostly listeners think 846 is more natural.

It is all about treat,pleasure.Which IEM is better for your music genres and your ears,keep going with them.

I compared 846 and IE800.In comfort and sound IE800 better.846 hurted my ears.It is big a bit.

In look,box,accessories,build 846 is better for me.

IE800 is a different world.And different iem for me. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I listen with iHifi 760 currently.

True the SE846 does come with better overall accessories but I feel that the case that comes with the IE800 is much better than the SE846 but that's purely subjective.  I just like that the case was built explicitly for the IE800's whereas the Shure case is just a standard oval Shure case...

Mar 7, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #1,706 of 7,998

Your experience with the two IEMS very closely matches my experience - i agree with your assessment!  Just tough for me to put into words.

Mar 7, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #1,707 of 7,998
  The aluminum hippocase is what you see in my Shure 846 profile pic.  
http://jaben.net/shopping2/Hippocan-metal-earphone-case.html

I think it is the best IEM protection I've ever used - crush proof and tiny.

Bought a set of headphones on the FS threads and the seller gave one of these to me - I am amazed! I think I could drive a truck over it and mess up the tire - simple, well machined and waterproof. Perfect for a pair of CIEMs.

Mar 7, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #1,708 of 7,998
Bought a set of headphones on the FS threads and the seller gave one of these to me - I am amazed! I think I could drive a truck over it and mess up the tire - simple, well machined and waterproof. Perfect for a pair of CIEMs.

Do you have any pics of the case with your earphones in it? I've seen this case before but wonder how tightly wound the cable has to be to fit inside? Also, if possible could you give some measurements of the case? Their website doesn't give much detail and it's a lot of $$ to be spending on a case. It might be more appropriate to start another thread. If you do that, please send me the link to the thread!

Mar 7, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #1,709 of 7,998
Having a hard time getting decent light in my office tonight - I have a pair of Westone 3's in it, lot of room left - three finger wrap - US quarter beside it for scale... could easily fit CIEMs inside.. 

Mar 8, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #1,710 of 7,998

Thank you. They are both on my short list . I currently use se535 for portable use and I really like them but miss the detail I get from hd800s . I really like their warm easy signature though . Looking at the graphs the 846 seem to have a very similar signature to the 535s. Can you confirm that ? The only things putting me off the ie800s are non replaceable cable and worse isolation than I'm used to but I get the impression the sound will be better extended and more open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back