Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Feb 8, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #1,621 of 7,998
  I haven't heard anything...but I would consider buying a second IE800 if they did nothing more than fix the ergonomics.

Why is the cable so short above the y-split? WHYYYYYYYYY!?!?!

Agreed, I measured the cable above the y-split and it's only 10 inches!!!  My guess is that they really wanted to force people to wear these in the down position.  I can get them over my ear but just barely... wearing them over my ears does cut down on microphonics but it's not very comfortable.  If the cable were only 2 inches longer it's be perfect.

Feb 8, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #1,623 of 7,998
I can get it around my ears and it does work but another inch or two of slack would have been nice as I prefer to have a little wiggle room so it doesn't hit my chin so much... it just feels tighter around my face and chin than say the cable from the SE846's which is much longer and forgiving.

Feb 8, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #1,624 of 7,998
Sennheiser doesn't suggest to use,IE800's by over ear.Just in-ear like earbuds.

Feb 8, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #1,625 of 7,998
  Sennheiser doesn't suggest to use,IE800's by over ear.Just in-ear like earbuds.

Right, but they can be used that way.  I actually don't typically wear them that way just mentioning that it's possible to do so if you choose.  The only benefit I've noticed is that microphonics are cut down a lot when you wear them over the ear.  Most of the time when I wear them I'm not moving around much anyway so I just wear them like normal in-ear earbuds like you said.

Feb 8, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #1,626 of 7,998

Right, but they can be used that way.  I actually don't typically wear them that way just mentioning that it's possible to do so if you choose.  The only benefit I've noticed is that microphonics are cut down a lot when you wear them over the ear.  Most of the time when I wear them I'm not moving around much anyway so I just wear them like normal in-ear earbuds like you said.

It is comfortable like in-ear use with me.And one reason for not over-ear use:because;within a specified time,cable can be opening from Y split end.I think like this.

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #1,627 of 7,998
  I can get it around my ears and it does work but another inch or two of slack would have been nice as I prefer to have a little wiggle room so it doesn't hit my chin so much... it just feels tighter around my face and chin than say the cable from the SE846's which is much longer and forgiving.

Exactly. I can wear them that way, but I feel like an idiot...kind of like this:

All of this has been said before, but I am going to b!tch anyway:
If the cable wasn't so microphonic, I wouldn't feel the need to wear them over ear.
And I can't really comfortably wear them over ear because the cable is too short.  
And does Sennheiser mitigate the issue by including a $2 clip with their $1,000 iems?  Of course not!
(seems to me that they could have built in a nice clip into the connector at the splitter) 

All that being said, I still love the ie800.  I complain because I care!

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #1,628 of 7,998
I guess I have a puny head, I wear it behind the ears and don't feel like I have a noose around my neck. I also get a better seal/ less microphonics this way, which in turn provides me with better sound than wearing it down.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Feb 9, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #1,630 of 7,998
  Has anyone tried the RCS 800 cable? I've seen some posts saying they already have it. Also I heard ALO audio is planning on creating a custom balanced cable for the ie800. 

Am intrigued by this (but VERY interested) - would require a full recabling, with the 2.5mm jack having common ground...

Still loving my IE800, easily up there with my LCD2s (just wish for a hint more midrange bloom, then I could run solely on IEMs), especially with the HiFi M8 trimming the treble splash :) 

Feb 10, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #1,632 of 7,998
I listened my friend's DX50 and my IE800.I loved that combination.I suggest you guys.If you have a question about DX50. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back