Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Jul 4, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #7,441 of 7,998
Thank you for the advice!

I actually have tried to audition them using the balanced Pentaconn port of my DAP.

Unfortunately, this port is not burned in, so, to be honest, I didn't like what I've heard. But I am aware this is not the fault of the IEM per se. Again, unfortunately, I don't have a headphone to burn it in (Ibasso used to have some special burn in cables, but not for the balanced port)...

It's not because of the port :)

I was really disappointed by the IE800 but IE800S came with some improvements and I liked them more than IE800.
Still, for some tracks the sound was really dull and something was missing in the midrange, so I had to look elsewhere.

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #7,442 of 7,998
It's not because of the port :)

I was really disappointed by the IE800 but IE800S came with some improvements and I liked them more than IE800.
Still, for some tracks the sound was really dull and something was missing in the midrange, so I had to look elsewhere.

What did you choose in the end? Or the search is still in progress?

Thanks a lot!

Jul 5, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #7,443 of 7,998
What did you choose in the end? Or the search is still in progress?

Thanks a lot!

More than 1 year ago, I found the Earsonics Velvet v2 that was recommended for fixing the IE800 issues and also won over IE800s in the midrange. Very musical IEM with amazing bass for a BA.
But I'm still a fan of DD sound and I'm searching for a good DD or hybrid so I have eyed the Oriolus Reborn and Xelento. Unfortunately I can't audition them but I'm leaning more towards Oriolus.

Jul 5, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #7,444 of 7,998
More than 1 year ago, I found the Earsonics Velvet v2 that was recommended for fixing the IE800 issues and also won over IE800s in the midrange. Very musical IEM with amazing bass for a BA.
But I'm still a fan of DD sound and I'm searching for a good DD or hybrid so I have eyed the Oriolus Reborn and Xelento. Unfortunately I can't audition them but I'm leaning more towards Oriolus.
Thanks a lot for the clarifications!

Jul 10, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #7,445 of 7,998
How can I come reasonably close to IE800 quality without cable hazzle?

I'm no true audiophile, but unfortunately over the years my (fake) IE800 have killed my tolerance for worse sound to some extent...

I tried a lot to relieve me to some extent from the cable hazzle (especially cumbersome since my IE800's cables have hardened quite a bit), e.g. via using very light and small bluetooth connectors such as the FiiO BTR 1 and µBTR. Both' loss of quality due to their imperfect BT transmission was acceptable for me, but the cable hazzle did not really disappear to such a degree which I find it with sports IEMs, or with dedicated BT IEMs.

I tried the Apple Airpods, which had really perfect comfort, but unbearable sound quality. Then I tried the Beoplay E8. Their - subjective - sound quality was not really on par with the IE800, but I might have tried them nevertheless for some time (not least due to their perfect fit in the ears), but the bad firmware leads to dropouts and the (theoretically welcome) transparency function is very badly implemented.

Then I tried the Sennheiser CX Sport, but their sound doesn't even give a faint remembering to the IE800.

Has anybody some real-life experiences with coming sufficiently close to IE800, both soundquality-wise and signature-wise?

Jul 10, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #7,446 of 7,998
How can I come reasonably close to IE800 quality without cable hazzle?

I'm no true audiophile, but unfortunately over the years my (fake) IE800 have killed my tolerance for worse sound to some extent...

I tried a lot to relieve me to some extent from the cable hazzle (especially cumbersome since my IE800's cables have hardened quite a bit), e.g. via using very light and small bluetooth connectors such as the FiiO BTR 1 and µBTR. Both' loss of quality due to their imperfect BT transmission was acceptable for me, but the cable hazzle did not really disappear to such a degree which I find it with sports IEMs, or with dedicated BT IEMs.

I tried the Apple Airpods, which had really perfect comfort, but unbearable sound quality. Then I tried the Beoplay E8. Their - subjective - sound quality was not really on par with the IE800, but I might have tried them nevertheless for some time (not least due to their perfect fit in the ears), but the bad firmware leads to dropouts and the (theoretically welcome) transparency function is very badly implemented.

Then I tried the Sennheiser CX Sport, but their sound doesn't even give a faint remembering to the IE800.

Has anybody some real-life experiences with coming sufficiently close to IE800, both soundquality-wise and signature-wise?

What exactly is cabble hazzle? Not sure if I've experienced it or not on my ie800 or ie800S!

Jul 10, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #7,447 of 7,998
What exactly is cabble hazzle? Not sure if I've experienced it or not on my ie800 or ie800S!
Funny question...

With that you possibly want to express in a more or less subtle way, that anybody complaining about it may not be worth the IE800's qualities...

Maybe... But with me it's different: I don't want to establish my personal audition session in a well-suited chair, but I just want to walk around while hearing music, without having to care for cables hanging around or getting stuck into something...

Jul 10, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #7,448 of 7,998
Funny question...

With that you possibly want to express in a more or less subtle way, that anybody complaining about it may not be worth the IE800's qualities...

Maybe... But with me it's different: I don't want to establish my personal audition session in a well-suited chair, but I just want to walk around while hearing music, without having to care for cables hanging around or getting stuck into something...

Funny answer.

Googled hazzle, no help, says mis spelled? Not sure what you mean less subtle either!! Oh well, my cables good but I'm none the wiser what you are on about.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #7,449 of 7,998
Oh dear... I hope not all persons in this thread are so enlightened other-worldly.

So I still hope that somebody understands my initial question and the implied wishes.

Jul 10, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #7,450 of 7,998
Oh dear... I hope not all persons in this thread are so enlightened other-worldly.

So I still hope that somebody understands my initial question and the implied wishes.

Hey, I was trying to help, but with your awkwardness I'm out. Only asked what you meant with a word I didn't understand. How rude.

Jul 10, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #7,451 of 7,998
I think he is asking if there are native bluetooth IEM's that are better than his fake ie800's. If that is the case, this isn't the fake ie800 thread so no clue what would sound better.

Jul 13, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #7,454 of 7,998
Just ordered some IE800's for £399..... Pretty stoked with that price. I'm upgrading from my well loved Q-Jays Reference, here's hoping it's a worthwhile one! If I like them I'll probably put the Jays up for sale.

Jul 22, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #7,455 of 7,998
Just ordered some IE800's for £399..... Pretty stoked with that price. I'm upgrading from my well loved Q-Jays Reference, here's hoping it's a worthwhile one! If I like them I'll probably put the Jays up for sale.

I'm curious where you ordered these that gives you confidence that they are not counterfeit at that price. I have seen new IE800s available eBay for around this price but I worry about whether the earphones are legitimate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back