Sennheiser IE80 VS Sennheiser HD598se
Apr 2, 2016 at 5:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

KSIXephos938

Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I currently own a pair of IE80's but I'm looking for a new pair of open back headphones. With the IE80's being my first pair of audiophile headphones, I've grown accustomed to the 'Sennheiser veil'. I've experienced extremely harsh highs with the majority of other brands; ATH-M50, SRH840, DT990.

I'm leaning towards the HD598's with its wide soundstage being a positive for gaming/movies which I'll mainly be using it for. My only concern is that it will be sonically worse than my IE80's. Does anyone have experience with both? I want them to be sonically on par, or even better than my IEMs.

The DAC I use is a FiiO E07K, a $100 DAC with a recommended impedance of 16-150ohms. Also interested in the HD650's as they are clear cut, better than the IE80's, but I might have trouble driving them with such a weak amp.

I'm not an audiophile, and have little to no knowledge on these subjects so any input would be greatly appreciated. :)

Apr 2, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #2 of 11
Hi guys,

I currently own a pair of IE80's but I'm looking for a new pair of open back headphones. With the IE80's being my first pair of audiophile headphones, I've grown accustomed to the 'Sennheiser veil'. I've experienced extremely harsh highs with the majority of other brands; ATH-M50, SRH840, DT990.

I'm leaning towards the HD598's with its wide soundstage being a positive for gaming/movies which I'll mainly be using it for. My only concern is that it will be sonically worse than my IE80's. Does anyone have experience with both? I want them to be sonically on par, or even better than my IEMs.

The DAC I use is a FiiO E07K, a $100 DAC with a recommended impedance of 16-150ohms. Also interested in the HD650's as they are clear cut, better than the IE80's, but I might have trouble driving them with such a weak amp.

I'm not an audiophile, and have little to no knowledge on these subjects so any input would be greatly appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Both have wide soundstages, which is important for your gaming. The biggest difference between the two, in my opinion, would be the bass. It is obviously not tunable on the HD598. It is possible you may find the bass to be a tad light on the HD598. If bass is important to you, I would steer you toward the Philips Fidelio X2, another very good open can with a very wide soundstage and terrific bass extension. You might want to check it out. Lastly, the HiFiMAN HE400S is a good potential option--it has a very wide soundstage and good bass extension, as well. Something else to check out.

Apr 2, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 11
So in your opinion, the HD598's aren't better the IE80's, perhaps even worse. Would you say that it is pointless to get a pair of headphones that I could simply use my IEMs for?

Would it be more beneficial to get something a class up like the HD650's? In that case, I would also need to invest in a better amp.

What are your thoughts?

Apr 2, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 11
So in your opinion, the HD598's aren't better the IE80's, perhaps even worse. Would you say that it is pointless to get a pair of headphones that I could simply use my IEMs for?

Would it be more beneficial to get something a class up like the HD650's? In that case, I would also need to invest in a better amp.

What are your thoughts?

I wouldn't say it's pointless because you would get a lot of enjoyment out of the HD598, which are different from your IE80. That said, if you can spend more and upgrade to, say, the Fidelio X2, HE400S or i, or maybe even an HD600/650 situation, then I would say definitely do that. Those cans will just have noticeably more resolving power than the 598 will (even though the 598 is a very good can).

Apr 2, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #7 of 11
Again, would you mind describing the actual differences between the IE80's and HD598's?

I'm looking for a permanent solution, so I wouldn't mind spending a bit more if it means it'll be better in the long term. What sort of amp would be able to drive the HD650's?

Apr 2, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #8 of 11
Again, would you mind describing the actual differences between the IE80's and HD598's?

I'm looking for a permanent solution, so I wouldn't mind spending a bit more if it means it'll be better in the long term. What sort of amp would be able to drive the HD650's?

To me, to my ears, the major differences are: the IE80 is more detailed, more nuanced; the IE80 also has a more flexible bass solution and is capable of much more bass than the 598; the IE80 has a less rolled-off treble presentation--598 treble is quite rolled off, which some people like; IE80 has better isolation and all that is attendant with that (of course). Similarities: both hp have wide soundstages and very good imaging; both hp have an overall laid back presentation, but the 598 is more laid back, IMO; both hp are overall really quite engaging and engrossing, irrespective of the aforementioned.

The above are my views--others may feel otherwise. As far as an amp for something like the 650, are you looking for something portable, or something for the home?

Apr 2, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #9 of 11
I'll have to try and get my hands on a pair of HD598's before making a decision. You seem to concede that the IE80's are better but still prefer the sound of the HD598's. Like you said, personal preference matters more than cost/specs. So my question to you is if you were forced to choose one, which would you pick?

And I'm using an amp with 2 headphone jacks right now, one for headphones, and one for speakers, as I'm using a laptop setup. Not sure there are many other amps wih that criteria.

Apr 3, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #10 of 11
I'll have to try and get my hands on a pair of HD598's before making a decision. You seem to concede that the IE80's are better but still prefer the sound of the HD598's. Like you said, personal preference matters more than cost/specs. So my question to you is if you were forced to choose one, which would you pick?

And I'm using an amp with 2 headphone jacks right now, one for headphones, and one for speakers, as I'm using a laptop setup. Not sure there are many other amps wih that criteria.

If faced with a decision about IE80 vs 598, I would probably choose the 598 purely on enjoyment, possibly an irrational decision, but mine all the same.:)  I'm sure there are amps out there that meet your criteria, just may have to do a bit of digging to generate a solid list.

Apr 3, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #11 of 11
Yeah I've heard good things about the HD598's, soundstage seems to be bigger than even the most expensive of headphones, and I hope I get wowed by the aireness of my first pair of open back headphones. Hopefully I can get to audition them, and I'll have the same feeling as you about them :D

And I just found the FiiO E09K which is a desktop amp fits what I want. It's got a line out and pre out at the back for speakers, and a 6.3mm Headphone jack at the front. It's perfect and I still get to use my E07K as a DAC :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back