Sennheiser IE80 Vs IE800...??
May 30, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #16 of 29
Hey guys!
I was wondering if Sennheiser has discontinued the IE80s...
They used to retail for about $260-270 on Amazon and now they are retailing for like 350...from unknown sellers...

May 30, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #17 of 29
Hey guys!
I was wondering if Sennheiser has discontinued the IE80s...
They used to retail for about $260-270 on Amazon and now they are retailing for like 350...from unknown sellers...

I don't know for sure but there is a big possibility, they are around quite a long time and also on their own website it's back to original 450$ price! 

May 30, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #19 of 29
It was 450 from the beginning right...?
Or was it cheaper on previously... I mean on Sennheisers site...?

Originally it was 450$ on their site but they reduced it after some time to 360$ and it stayed at 360$ (or 300 euros Europe) for a looong time (I paid 300 euros for them almost 2 years ago, and only recently they placed it back to their original price) :/ 

May 31, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #21 of 29
No it is but it would cost you a lot... Which you wouldn't wish to spend just for eartips or cables... You could probably get a decent Earphone for that price...

Actually only part of the cable is detachable:

In contrast to most high-end IEMs, including Sennheiser's own IE 80, the cables of the IE 800 are not detachable at the housings. Instead, the cable breaks apart at the y-split with a 2.5mm connection. It is unclear why Sennheiser eschewed using the much-liked detachable cable from the IE 80 model, or why the 2.5mm standard was chosen for the connector.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-ie-800-dynamic-ear-monitor

May 31, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #24 of 29
Yes, but the point is that the cable is not detachable at the housings of the IEM's as in the case of IE80.
Well, I don't mind that but I am not thinking of spending 700 Euro on an in ear set no matter the cable. On my Grado GR10 no detachable cable either but no issues. I love the IE80 for their sound not their cable. I just take care of them very well, always keep them in a little case, when not in use.

May 31, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #25 of 29
Well, I don't mind that but I am not thinking of spending 700 Euro on an in ear set no matter the cable. On my Grado GR10 no detachable cable either but no issues. I love the IE80 for their sound not their cable. I just take care of them very well, always keep them in a little case, when not in use.

It's not just that, but being something one uses on the go, you statistically increase the likelihood of mishandling them at some point. I was careful with my old Shure IEM and thought I wouldn't use the 2yr warranty, but at some point I opened the case and found that the zipper caught the cable and tore it. If that was an expensive IEM out of warranty I'd kick myself.

Jun 1, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #26 of 29

It's not just that, but being something one uses on the go, you statistically increase the likelihood of mishandling them at some point. I was careful with my old Shure IEM and thought I wouldn't use the 2yr warranty, but at some point I opened the case and found that the zipper caught the cable and tore it. If that was an expensive IEM out of warranty I'd kick myself.

Exactly.
You were lucky that they accepted to replace them, I'd expect that the warranty wouldn't cover a case where the product fails for reasons defferent than constructional defects.

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #27 of 29

Exactly.
You were lucky that they accepted to replace them, I'd expect that the warranty wouldn't cover a case where the product fails for reasons defferent than constructional defects.

My guess at the time was that they couldn't move the product and just decided to write one off as a warranty replacement. 
tongue.gif

Aug 12, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #28 of 29
The IE80's are a great set aren't they...
Yes the price difference is somewhat large and rather obvious from the IE800's, so as a commuter, to me the choice is clear. I couldn't personally justify a set of IE800's when bussing and training in would detract the more 'expensive' sound due to the inherent background noise.

Aug 12, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #29 of 29

Users who are viewing this thread

Back