Sennheiser IE80 or V-Moda Zn
Dec 11, 2015 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sbf187

New Head-Fier
I really just want to hear everyone's (anyone's) opinion on the new Zn compared to the IE80. I was all set to buy the IE80 and then I saw the Zn IEMs and now I am stumped as there aren't really any comparisons being made (at least not that I can easily find) about those two IEMs in particular side-by-side. Opinions are great, but would love to hear from people who have tried both. I may just throw in the towel and buy the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 headphones instead of some nice IEMs, but that's a whole other topic.. I'm looking for sound quality in all aspects. I just want something well rounded. All of these sets sound like what I am looking for so the best way I can describe what I want is to say that I literally listen to everything, so I just need something that sounds great no matter what I am listening to. Tell me something good and thanks in advance! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #2 of 7
Hi
I think you should go for the IE80 if you want a well rounded pair of earphones. V-modas are known for bass heavy headphones and judging by the reviews, I don't expect anything to be too different in the case of Zns. 

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #4 of 7
I have owned all three, but not at the same time.

unless you are in it for style/build, I'd stay away from the Momentum 2.0. I bought those along with the NAD HP50, and the NADs were far better at just about everything. Returned the Senns.

The IE80 were my favorite IEM. They had a wide soundstage, excellent bass impact, and treble that is rare for a dynamic. I gave them to a family memember and am very tempted to buy a 2nd pair... i think they are like 230 on Amazon right now.

The Zn I purchased on impulse. I've been searching for a wear straight down style IEM for a while. They have awesome bass, and warm mids, but absolutely no treble extension. It's really too bad because otherwise they were fantastic. Some people might be ok with this, but they were much too dark for me.

Now I'm rocking the Telos Fujisan that I got on Kickstarter. They have slightly less impactful bass as the Zn, but the treble is brilliant. With that being said, I don't have a purpose for them at the moment and might sell them off to someone who can appreciate them more.

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #5 of 7
I own both Momentum 1 and recently got the IE80. I'd rate the Momentum a bit better. With that said the IE80 is extremely decent, just no Momentum imo.

For me the IE80 has a noticeable midbass hump when compared to Momentum, Bass on the Momentum is alot better controlled and deeper. Soundstage of the Momentum is much more my preferance, it's not so much bigger as it is more realistic. 

With that said, I can honestly say I wouldn't part with either. 

Dec 23, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 7
  I have owned all three, but not at the same time.

unless you are in it for style/build, I'd stay away from the Momentum 2.0. I bought those along with the NAD HP50, and the NADs were far better at just about everything. Returned the Senns.

The IE80 were my favorite IEM. They had a wide soundstage, excellent bass impact, and treble that is rare for a dynamic. I gave them to a family memember and am very tempted to buy a 2nd pair... i think they are like 230 on Amazon right now.

The Zn I purchased on impulse. I've been searching for a wear straight down style IEM for a while. They have awesome bass, and warm mids, but absolutely no treble extension. It's really too bad because otherwise they were fantastic. Some people might be ok with this, but they were much too dark for me.

Now I'm rocking the Telos Fujisan that I got on Kickstarter. They have slightly less impactful bass as the Zn, but the treble is brilliant. With that being said, I don't have a purpose for them at the moment and might sell them off to someone who can appreciate them more.

Great question sbf,  as I find myself in much the same position - looking for a new pair of IEMs.
I previously owned a pair of Shure SE530, which disappeared inside a dog...........

Following a house fire, I'm now slowly replacing everything I lost. Currently, I've bought a pair of V-Moda M100 headphones which I really like.
Meringo's comments make interesting reading for me. I like the sound of awesome bass and warm mids - and I'm fairly sure I'm ok with less treble.
Plus they are $50 cheaper than the IE80.

Dec 23, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #7 of 7
If you are a m100 fan, then maybe you SHOULD try the Zn. I feel they sound better than the full size flagship. The Zn are a bit more forward, and the bass hits in the right places (the m100 bass starts at 400Hz, which is a flaw in the signature, imo)

Go Zn! Although I wasn't the biggest fan, they did a lot of things right. I think they are V-Moda's best effort so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back