Sennheiser IE8 - What are the real flaws?
Nov 14, 2009 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Onza

100+ Head-Fier
Recently my beloved TF10 Pro vi got damaged for no apparent reason - the left earpiece stopped working after only 3 months of ownership and with good care for them. I'm pretty certain this was an issue with the cable. However I took them to my vendor and they gave me a refund - there was nothing else that took my fancy at the shop...

I had no real complaints about the TF10, but I was always curious about the IE8. I wondered what the real flaws in them were. I've read the majority of threads on the IE8 - including the appreciation thread, but I'd like an honest run down of their main flaws to help me understand if they are a worthy investment...

From what I've read the following seem to be the key ones:

1. lack of treble energy (but not necessarily treble response)

2. over prominence of bass - particularly mid bass...

3. unusally large sound / head stage (this may be a pro or a con for some ppl)

4. lack of isolation (this is somewhat of an issue for me)

look forward to your comments

Nov 14, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #2 of 30
In response to point 4:
The bore size of the IE8 is the same as TF10. However beacuse the profile of IE8 is smaller and does not potrude, it sits in my ear without issues (it's also lighter). I am not even using the ear hooks. I can achieve the same level of isolation with my UE SF3 using the small normal eartips. Even the small biflange is too large for my ear canals. If you can achieve isolation with TF10, then you should not have any issues with IE8. The package come with a large selection of tips, I'm sure you'd be able to get a good fit.

Points 2 & 3: I agree with the general comments that the IE8 is more of a fun IEM, as such there is a compromise on highs and treble, but not to a significant extent.

Also, users tend to be conditioned by the previous IEM they use. It takes time, and a willingness to take a step back and guage the capability of another IEM then to compare against each other. Unless you're doing an A-B for a specific category (eg analytical IEMs). IMO IE8 is very different from TF10, it is not a fair comparison (a fairer comparison would be something like Er4s and UM3x).

Nov 14, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Onza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recently my beloved TF10 Pro vi got damaged for no apparent reason - the left earpiece stopped working after only 3 months of ownership and with good care for them. I'm pretty certain this was an issue with the cable. However I took them to my vendor and they gave me a refund - there was nothing else that took my fancy at the shop...

I had no real complaints about the TF10, but I was always curious about the IE8. I wondered what the real flaws in them were. I've read the majority of threads on the IE8 - including the appreciation thread, but I'd like an honest run down of their main flaws to help me understand if they are a worthy investment...

In regards to point 3 that is really considered a pro if anything. But there is people who enjoy narrow soundstage but I never see somebody knocking a can for it's large and wide soundstage.

Nov 14, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #4 of 30
I only agree with point #4, that there is a lack of isolation. The only other weakness of the IE8 (a weakness of all IEM's) is the lack of soundstaging. Yes, headstaging is unusually large (positive, as far as I'm concerned), but to have true lifelike soundstaging, no. Of this, I know, I am asking too much, but this is 2009 and I just expect more in headphone engineering.

Nov 14, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 30
One man's meat is another man's poision Onza. I can't really fault the IE8. That's not to say that it doesn't have any but what some people regard as its faults, I happen to like, i.e., shallow insertion into the ear canal, large soundstage, extended but non-fatiguing treble, mid-bass presence, dynamic, engaging presentation and so on.

If you've covered the threads where the IE8 is discussed in detail, then you probably already have all the information you really need. Your next step is to listen to them. Unless you can audition them beforehand then the only other option available to you is to buy a pair, and that is the inherent risk of pursuing this hobby - poverty.

I'm hoping to take delivery of a pair of Triple.Fi 10 Pro's next week. I'm looking forward to hearing how they compare to the IE8.

Nov 14, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #6 of 30
I really like my IE8s. Their soundstage is almost like a full sized headphone, with great bass, solid mids and great highs. The only issue I have is that from a noise isolation perspective, they do not compete with my SE530s or Westone 3s.

I guess I won't be using them on a plane.

Nov 14, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #8 of 30
To be honest my main reservations are around points 1 & 4. Treble energy and isolation. I've had the IE7 for a few months (7) and these are my main issues with them. I know the IE8 is the better phone, I'm just worried if it's 'better enough' if that makes sense. Comments here have given me some useful info. I think My next step will be to buy a pair... As it happens I have a long flight ahead of me in the next 24hrs and my other two IEMs aren't so appealing ATM... Any other comments regarding 1 and 4 specifically?

Nov 14, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

1) It's not specifically treble energy. They are just slightly laid back overall. It's nothing specific to the treble. It's just where one might notice it a little more. Bad? No. Could it be better? That's nitpicking. If you come into the set expecting a laid back sound, you won't be disappointed.

2) Yes. I don't feel it's as bad as it's made out to be. It's blatant. It's noticeable. But...you get used to it pretty quickly. It doesn't massively overshadow the midrange or treble. I mean I feel the NuForce NE-7M does worse in this regard and no one talks about the midbass being overwhelming. It adds a little fun to the headphone. If you care so much, just do a slight EQ cut at 100Hz, adjust the bass knob as needed to even it out, and be done.

3) Big sound yes. Pro/con is personal preference. It's likable. My only complaint is that since everything is presented far away, you don't get any appreciable sense of distancing and layering in the music.

4) Isolation is good with them, no worse then the TF10 really. A lot of people tend to wear the IE8 a little loose rather then to get a solid seal to flatten out the bass some. It's something I did with the NE-7M. I just get a good seal with the IE8 myself. Isolation is plenty good.

My only gripe or defined "flaw" would be the sound stage. It's nice to get a better definition of range where close things are close and far things are far. The IE8 is big and spacious because it puts everything far. Is this a bad thing? Not necessarily.

Nov 14, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #11 of 30
iso and the bass are issues, iso isnt terrible and its not like the tf10 shone there any way

as for the bass. youll either love it or it will kill after a while but only one way to find out

re the treble, its way dialed up from the IE7. the 7 and 8 dont really sound alike in many ways

Nov 14, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

I had exactly the same experience with my TF.10's but the left ear cut out within 2 months (now awaiting refund from seller).

I owned IE8's before the TF10s (the IE8s were chewed by the dog, and I decided to try the vi version of the UE's for my iphone next) and in my experience the TF10s only outshine the IE8's with treble when listening to alternative and rock music. Any other genre, and the IE8's massive soundstage beats the UE's handsdown. The bass in the IE8s is a big bonus if you listen to rap and dance music and is not boomy, just more prominent than the UE's. And the build quality of the IE8's will not disappoint.

I will probably be buying my 2nd set of IE8s in the next couple of days. Although I noticed that Monster are releasing their iPhone friendly versions of the Turbine Pro's shortly (I do like my bass) and am not sure whether to wait so I can get the mic function (but I am also thinking that I will prob be disappointed as I was with the UE's).

Dec 8, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #15 of 30
I've had these IEMs for just over 4 weeks now and its safe to say that I am impressed with them from a sound perspective. I posted some brief comments on the IE8 thread but I just thought I should address the 4 'flaws' that I assumed were a reality:

1. The IE8 have plenty of treble energy (as well as extension). Tip selection is crucial to get the best sound..

2. The IE8 have a very deep bass response.... Is the bass over prominent? Probably not, but its certainly there...

3. There is a large sound stage... I haven't found this to be unusually large though...

4. The IE8s isolate as well as my UE TF10Pro (they fit much much better though). They don't isolate quite as well as my Er6i's though...

On a side note these are on a completely different level to the IE7 which have much limited treble response (to my ears). The sound is also a lot more refined and revealing. For any IE7 owners who question whether an upgrade to the IE8 is worth it. Don't question it, just do it
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back