Sennheiser ie8 vs ie80? What are the differences?
Feb 26, 2012 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

basketball

500+ Head-Fier
I previously owned the ie8 and I was very happy with them, the bass quantity was superb since I am a basshead. Do the ie80 retain the same bass quantity?

If the ie80 sound more neutral then I won't be interested in them.

Feb 26, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #2 of 12
The IE80 has less mid-bass and a little more sub-bass than the IE8 and has a slightly better overall detail, clarity. Other than that, just a cosmetic change and a cable that's not as soft and supple as the IE8s.

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #7 of 12
If the lack of those improvements does not reduce your enjoyment of the music, then I would say not worth of the extra spending.

I never auditioned or owned IE8, however now knowing how good the IE80 can sound to my ears I would still get the IE80 even if it costs twice what I paid. This is a subjective thing and just shows how I see its value for what it does for me. Others may say with spending more you could get EX1000 (which has been highly rated by many forum members). But knowing the difference between the EX600 and IE80 and also guessing the EX600 capable of 90% EX1000, I am pretty sure the EX1000 can not be my primary IEM's.

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #10 of 12
First impressions;

Tighter Bass than the ie8
Mids Less emphasized compared to the ie8
Low end is still boomy but not as boomy as the ie8
They sound clearer and more refined.

Happy so far.

May 4, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #11 of 12
I'm not a bass head but I already have a pair of GR07s that certainly fill my need for clarity. Considering IE8 or 80s. Those of you who've tried both, which would you say is more fun and why?

Also what is the deal with adjustable bass?

May 4, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
I'm not a bass head but I already have a pair of GR07s that certainly fill my need for clarity. Considering IE8 or 80s. Those of you who've tried both, which would you say is more fun and why?

Also what is the deal with adjustable bass?

I found that the adjustable bass didn't make a significant difference and I preferred the lowest setting anyway. This is all moot as I use the tape mod which means you can no longer use this feature as it is covered up. The tape mod does make a significant difference to the quality of the bass and therefore it also affects the quality of the mids as well as it takes out that mid bass hump that everyone talks about. When you first hear the ie80s with the mod it sounds strange as you are not used to a different sound. It seems as if the bass has been lessened. It hasn't, it has been cleaned up. There is still the same amount of impact and power in the bass and now you can accurately hear which lower bass notes are playing. This is so good that at my venerable old age I have become a bit of a dubstep/dance/trance/electro rock fan. The kids I teach and coach find this really amusing. One final piece of advice. Find the right tips for this iem - they also make a significant difference. The Auvio hybrids do it best for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back