Sennheiser IE8 or Westone 3?
Nov 24, 2010 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

awesomedeluxe

New Head-Fier
IE8s refurbished for $210 and Westone 3 for $320.  If better prices are floating out there let me know.

It seems like the consensus is that the Westone 3 is better all-around, but I'm not sure if that's worth the extra money.  My main concern is durability; I want this purchase to last.  I like that the IE8s have removable cables, however, the Westone 3 has a 2 year warranty.

What do you guys think?

Nov 24, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #3 of 12
I have the IE8s and recently tried the W3s (ended up going for the UM3x)
   Like the above poster said, you definitely don't want the IE8s if isolation is a priority.
   As for sound, the IE8s are smoother and more laid back. They also have excellent bass and are particularly good for techno, r&b, and rap.
   The W3s are a lot more aggressive sounding, if you listen mostly to rock you might prefer their sound.

Nov 25, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #5 of 12
depend on what kind of music do you listen. Of course, the isolation is a big issue of IE8s unless you customise tips.

Nov 25, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #7 of 12
Thanks for all the responses!  You guys rock.

I think I'm going to go with the Westone 3.  Isolation is important and reading the comparison above I think it will be nice to have the more comfortable fit. Removable cables would have put my mind at ease but a two year warranty is good enough!

Nov 25, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #8 of 12
Sorry for the double post but I have a new question!

I just noticed the Westone UM3X is almost the exact same price as the Westone 3, and it has removable cables!  Would people recommend the Westone UM3X over the Westone 3?  How do the two differ in terms of sound?

Nov 25, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #10 of 12
I was just comparing the W3 and UM3x last week and went for the latter. My main reason was that, for the same price, they had removable cables and a slightly better
fit (smaller and seat better in the ear).
    However, their sound signatures are a bit different, and I might have slightly preferred the sound of the W3. It is definitely more V-shaped with aggressive treble and strong bass, while the UM3x
are smoother, mid-focused, more laid back, and especially good at instrument separation.
     In terms of build quality and fit, the UM3x are slightly better.
    In terms of sound, the W3 are more "fun" while the UM3x are more "accurate". So go for what type of sound you think suits you best.

Nov 25, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #11 of 12
i owned both um3x and w3.
i thought w3 was kind of too dark and um3x was just right for me :)
if you are buying the earphones at sites like earphonesolution
you can try and if you don;t like it, send it back and try an another one !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back