Sennheiser IE8 Impressions (coming from PFE)
Nov 26, 2009 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

syn_fx

100+ Head-Fier
I've been into portable hi-fi for quite some time, and thought I'd finally get around to writing something about a recent purchase. There are a lot of reviews describing the sonic characteristics of the IE8, describing the lows, mids, and highs - so I won't go into that, and instead will talk only about my impressions .

Short Background:

I'm an economics student in London, UK, in my second year.

My IEM history consists of the Sony EX70s, Etymotic ER-6is, Denon C700s, Phonak PFEs, and now the Senns. I have extensively auditioned a number of cans (inc Grado GS1000s), and quite a few lower end IEMs (through friends).

I play bass guitar in a latin and blues band, and listen to a very broad variety of music ranging from classical, jazz, blues, acoustic, vocal and latin to DnB and heavy metal. My sources are a Sony NW series laptop (with a pretty horrific sound card) and the Sony S639 - a fantastic portable player. My library is in VBR lame from FLAC.

To the impressions:

I decided to get the IE8s following the death of my second pair of PFEs, IEMs that I really liked and found to be significantly better than my previous IEMs.

I originally listened to the PFEs with grey tips and amped through a Fiio E5, but eventually dropped the E5 for practicality. How I didn't find the PFEs with gray tips harsh, I don't know - I rememer trying them unamped when I first got them and wincing - I guess ears adjust over time. I've had the PFEs over 1 year, and they have been put through a lot of use, so I'll be comparing the IE8s to them.

Originally, I heard the IE8s at a friends house, and having listened to them for about 5 minutes, thought that they were horrifically bloated, and lacking detail compared to the PFEs...

However in the end I bit the bullet and got them - after 10 hours my ears have adjusted, and these are my impressions:

The snares and kick drums are insane. Insane. Listening to "Dani California" by RHCP makes you almost wince, but once you adjust, you realise that the track is much more engaging than with the PFEs. You start to forget about the difference in detail, and bop along to the bass line, something that never really happens with the PFEs. The soundstage really is incredible, something every review of the IE8s seems to say, but something that is very difficult to imagine, if you haven't actually heard them.

The bass extends much lower than the PFEs. This can be really seen in the RHCP jam before "Californication" from their Slane Castle gig - Flea's bass powers through as though you were listening to him via speakers, not an IEM. Very satisfying experience.

Gary Moore's "Bad for you Baby" -this track is really harsh with the PFEs, and much, much smoother with the IE8s. Gary's singing is very intimate, as though he is serenading you from 10 inches away.

Nina Simone's "Love me or leave me": I was expecting the bass to be bloated, but is very tight and controlled. Her vocals are smooth and rich, whilest the piano is detailed and well separated from the rest of the mix.

Santana's "Put your lights on" - this track is one of the most impressive through the IE8s - the acoustic guitar is incredibly crisp and detailed, and Santana's lead is exactly as mellow as it should be. Incredible instrument separation.

Overall, with few exceptions, the IE8s are hugely more enjoyable than the PFEs.

For anyone who is considering moving to the IE8s from PFEs - don't let your initial impressions put you off, take the time to audit the two properly if you can. I really can't imagine going back to the PFEs now, (but then I couldn't imagine going for IE8s when I first heard them!). They are after all very different, but for me personally, picking out of the two turned out to be quite easy.

Nov 26, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #2 of 20
Good comparison. I used to own the PFE's but I do miss the midrange with the grey filters. Some of the best midrange presentation that I've heard from an iem. Apart from that, the IE8 does practically everything else better. I get immersed into the music so much more than any other iem that I tried.

Nov 26, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 20
nice impressions!

the IE8 is really something else. i cant imagine anything better than this, but then again the only other IEM i've heard is the cx500(RIP).

i'm thinking of listening to RHCP with this but something i read in the past about RHCP albums having bad production and mastering kept me from doing it. hehehe.

the best i've heard so far from the IE8 and my sansa clip+ are garbage's first 2 albums. really great soundstage and deep bass. shirley manson's vocals are laid back. amazing!

Nov 26, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by rolz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice impressions!

the IE8 is really something else. i cant imagine anything better than this, but then again the only other IEM i've heard is the cx500(RIP).

i'm thinking of listening to RHCP with this but something i read in the past about RHCP albums having bad production and mastering kept me from doing it. hehehe.

the best i've heard so far from the IE8 and my sansa clip+ are garbage's first 2 albums. really great soundstage and deep bass. shirley manson's vocals are laid back. amazing!

They don't sound bad with the IE8s, but Californication, Stadium Arcadium and The Greatest Hits are fantastic through PFEs, the mid's really do shine.

I agree with Rip N' Burn completely - something about those PFE mids is just magical, and artists like RHCP really benefit from them.

Nov 27, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #6 of 20
How do the IE8 and PFE compare from a sensitivity standpoint? I know their specs state that the IE8 should be much easier to drive, but I'd like to know how much of a difference there was for you. Say if you could use the PFE on 25% to get a comfortable volume, how much lower did you have to go on the IE8 to get the same volume level? I'm just curious, that's all.

Nov 27, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I share your enthusiasm for the IE8's syn fx. They're just so musical and engaging.

Yes, having read all the reviews prior to buying, I still didn't quite understand what people meant by that until I actually purchased them!

With regard to sensitivity - the IE8s are indeed easier to drive. On my Sony S639, PFE is at 15/40, IE8 is at 12/40 - hope that helps, and of course, YMMV.

Nov 27, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #8 of 20
As far as I am concerned, the two are not in the same league, given their price difference of $140 (PFE @ Audeoworld) and $350 (IE8 @ Amazon). The fact that so many put the PFEs head-to-head with an IEM that costs 2x as much is a testament to how good the PFEs are IMO. Of course I am bias because I can afford the former but not the latter. What I of course would like to see next is Phonak produce a $350 IEM designed to compete with the IE8.

Nov 27, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #9 of 20
Yes, the PFE is excellent value for money. It just goes to show that in the world of IEMs, price doesn't necessarily reflect quality.

Just an interesting note, the PFEs can be found in the UK for £100, and the IE8s for £160, so the differential isn't as large - both are great value for money in the UK (the IE8 competes with SE530s, TripleFis, and the Westones all of which are more expensive in the UK).

Nov 28, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #11 of 20
Coming from the PFE, a much more similar high end IEM is Shure's SE530. You get a similar presentation of note, midrange emphasis, but you get a more refined sound that's much smoother on top.

The IE8 is a very different beast from the PFE. The big stage presence is a glaring difference as is the bass emphasis and more laid back and thicker presentation of note. It's simply a very different sounding earphone.

Nov 28, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mierenneuker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Student economics, Check.
Bassplayer, Check
PFE, Check.

I'm considering the IE-8 right now.
So you don't miss the treble/details of the PFE?

I did, for the total period of about 2 hours. After that, either burn in, or my ears adjusting made me completely not care about it. For me, the IE8s do so many more things better, that I don't mind compromising slightly on the treble (in fact I find the detail difference is very small).

Speaking economically, I've "reached a higher indifference curve".
wink.gif

That is not to say that they will be good for you - you need to try for yourself! As mvw2 points out, they are very different IEMs. For me, the IE8s are in a totally different class. For you, this could be different!

Dec 11, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by syn_fx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Overall, with few exceptions, the IE8s are hugely more enjoyable than the PFEs.

I completely agree, just received them and I like it more than the PFE already

Dec 11, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #14 of 20
The fact that you would compare the PFEs to something more than double its price just shows what a home run the PFEs are.... assuming they don't disinigrate on you
tongue.gif

Dec 11, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #15 of 20
I love seeing how my PFEs are almost as good as IE8s at half the price as others have mentioned! Good stuff OP! Reminds me of Average Joe's comparison on here!

Only thing that I've started regretting about the PFEs is not getting the IE8s from some UK site back when they were on sale for 200-240 USD shipped using Christmas coupon codes. Now they're 300 USD or more (I haven't checked recently).

PFEs are incredible for the price being comparable to IE8, TF10, SE530s! It's just that the characteristics of the PFEs, to me, seem more analytical and detailed. Lately I've been wondering about the other side of the spectrum, musical and engaging. I find that my music from S-220 speakers and my HDTV's speakers, although lacking in the PFE's sound quality, is more engaging and has me singing along. I like that quality/characteristic the most about my speakers/TV.

I could be wrong though as I haven't listened to PFEs for the last 5 months. I have been listening to music, but only through said computer and TV speakers during that time period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back