Sennheiser IE7 impression
Jan 13, 2009 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

lordofbahamut

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, this is my first impression on my first high end IEM I've ever had Senn IE7, the last phone I came from is SOny ex-90 modded. I had IE7 for more than 2 months now, properly 300 hours+ burned in time, I think this is a proper time for me to have my impression.

Build quality: I am very happy about the build quality, the phone is light and extreme comfortable to wear, the cable is superb, no microphonic, and non-tangible. I'm using the sony ex700 eartips, which give me the feeling that the phone isnt there. The stock tips are fine, but i like ex700 tips better.

Sound quality: I dont know about if the ex90 has bloated bass but for for me, it isnt bloated at all but rather bright, with the filter removal mod, the bass is strong and tight, with a bright treble which I found that it is abit too much for me. when I come across the Senn IE7, I know it is a IEM for me, just right amount of bass and a sweet mid. I can say it is neutral to me, might be abit on the bass side but, overall, nothing is too much. The initial thought when I put the phone on is "wow, how can it is so smooth", the bass and mid are mixing so smooth good together. As for the treble, at first it is abit lacking somewhere, since ex90 was very bright too me but I know this little can need time to acchieve full potential. And seriously, it have not let me down for one bit. As the burn in went on, the bass is getting tighter, mixing even better with the mid; treble became more and more reveal, until now, it is just right for me, I mean the treble is just right for me, "live like" treble which I found that I I dont want any extra.

Everyone must have heard about IE8 wonderful soundstage. Even though I missed a chance to experience that soundstage and imaging but , I think IE7's soundstage is wonderful as well. When I am using the sony90's even though i was good but I never had the feeling that i am in the concert but with IE7, the feeling that i am there, wherever the concert was with the crowd cheering for the band, it is wonderful.

To sumary: IE8 was a bass monster, (from the impression i read), IE7 is a sweet chocolate where every aspect is just right and neutral

Jan 13, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #2 of 14
congrads on the purchase.
I just bought my IE8 today and I am impressed. I upgraded from EX70 and A-T CKM50. Im burning-in them in my ears. heh.

otto

Jan 13, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordofbahamut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using the sony ex700 eartips, which give me the feeling that the phone isnt there. The stock tips are fine, but i like ex700 tips better.

Thanks for the review...I have an IE8 on order and was wondering where you got the ex700 tips, as I am looking to buy them. Thanks!

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the ie 7 is looking increasingly tempting

They are indeed ... it would be neat to ear the opinion of someone who both tried them and the IE8s. I especially would like to know how they compare in terms of soundstage.

Jan 13, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #6 of 14
i know soozieq has has the ie8 and had the ie7, god she goes through them, hmmm wonders if she could be persuaded to do an in depth comparison of everything shes had
ksc75smile.gif

but anyway i think bar her its going to be a rare person who has had both

Jan 13, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are indeed ... it would be neat to ear the opinion of someone who both tried them and the IE8s. I especially would like to know how they compare in terms of soundstage.

Here you go. These were my impressions before I bought the IE8 a second time, so you can ignore anything negative about the fit or midrange aggression because the fit was sorted out the second time and it solved both problems
bigsmile_face.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4964913-post266.html

Quote:

i know soozieq has has the ie8 and had the ie7, god she goes through them

biggrin.gif
atsmile.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
tongue.gif

Jan 14, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #10 of 14
soozieq, how would you compare it to the much discussed at length on here denon c700/751 to the ie7?

oh and ive just ordered a pair of the 7's but seeing as ive got the denons in my ears just now i am rather curious and im sure other enquiring minds would love to know

Jan 14, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

soozieq, how would you compare it to the much discussed at length on here denon c700/751 to the ie7?

The Denons can't compete with the IE7. Don't get me wrong, I loved my C700 for a LONG time, but the IE7 is in a different league altogether, mainly in soundstage and midrange. The C700 bass is great, and I loved the treble, (although some people found it too much), but the IE7 is a really big upgrade in sound quality. You'll have them soon enough anyway, so I want to know what you think! The IE7 vocals are so much smoother and more forward than the C700, in fact, try going back to the C700 after a week of listening to the IE7, and you'll rip them out of your ears in disgust
jecklinsmile.gif

Jan 14, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #12 of 14
IE7 is my next purchase..

they are affordable also as compared to IE8 and vocals sound better on them as they dont have the famous/infamous bass knobs like IE8 which i detest.

IE7 is modest but man..but overall price to performance factors make it a good purchase

Jan 14, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #13 of 14
oh good, as the thing i felt most lacking in the denons was the very nice but rather recessed mids (theres a good reason i love shure.) i really hope i love them or i know ill end up having to get the 8 too which i really really really dont want to do, lol even thought im still sure the ie8's will have too much bass for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back