Sennheiser IE4
Oct 11, 2005 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

katea

New Head-Fier
Hi:

I had pretty much decided to get the Shure e4 until I learned about the Sennheiser IE4. The price looks good, but I know nothing about the sound.

I'm interested in getting a high-quality set of earphones. I've long enjoyed the Sennheiser sound, and prefer it to other headphones I've heard. Unfortunately, the shape of my right ear apparently produces some resonance patterns that are extremely annoying and ultimately painful when I wear supra/circumaural headphones. I have no such problem when using earbuds and can wear them comfortably for long periods of time.

So: who knows about the IE4? I'll primarily be wearing these in a quiet work environment, sourced from a G5 or iPod, and possibly (later) from a headphone amp. Durability and accuracy of sound reproduction are important. I also enjoy a large soundstage.

Should I get the IE4 or the e4? Or is there another model to consider?

Thanks,

Kate

Oct 11, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 4
Well, I have never heard the Sennehiser IE4, but I do know the following:

> Sennheiser does not make the IE4. They OEM it from some other company. So there will be no link to the "Sennheiser sound".

> The IE4 is 16 Ohms, which means it will have rolled-off bass, and possibly distortion, with an iPod unless you use an amp from the line out. The Shure E4, at 29 ohms, is a better choice.

I'm a big fan of Sennheiser's full-sized headphones, but I'd go with the Shure in this case. But if you can somehow listen to both, that is the best way to go.

Oct 11, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 4
Okay, I see the IE4 are rebranded MD33. Ick.

So if it's a choice between the Shure e4 and the Ety ER-4, what's the call?

I listen to all sorts of music.

Kate

Oct 11, 2005 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 4
You're going to find some people preferring the ER4 and some preferring the E4. I'd say go with the E4 just because it's got more tip options for fitting, and it's considered middle of the road in terms of frequency response signature, good mids, ok bass, ok highs. The ER4 has a brighter sound which some people find hard to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back