Sennheiser IE 500 PRO (and newer models) vs Sennheiser IE 800 S
Feb 23, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #121 of 129
Finally got my replacement IE 400 Pros. They did indeed give me a brand new set! Pretty excited! Great customer service. The reason it took so long is they were on backorder. I'm betting they don't make a whole lot of these as the Pro line doesn't seem to be very popular for audiophile Sennheiser fans and more marketed towards musicians. I think they're just as good as audiophile grade stuff.

May 14, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #125 of 129
Apparently not yet!
Thought they did abandon the Pro line since they only focus on the IE IEMs lately.

I am curious about how the 400 Pros fare in comparison to the IE 600s if anyone has both.
I don’t have the IE 600 but judging by the graph, they’re quite a bit brighter. They don’t have that Sennheiser scoop in the upper mids plus there’s some treble spikes that would bother me. I’d be more interested in the IE 900’s sound.

May 14, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #126 of 129
Always pleasure to discuss the IE line.
Personally I found the IE 400 pro to hit a sweet spot in tuning where the amazing treble response of the 7mm DD blends nicely with the rest without pushing the midrange too much in the background.
I don't like the idea of midrange recession as the case might be with the IE 900s as much as I read ( never heard them). Having said that, I also consider to be unacceptably mid-shy for some genres.
I am very curious how the 600s are fairing in the mids department. As for the brighter treble it wouldn't bother me as much as it is ultra defined as it is with the 400s ( hopefully with even more resolution).

Feb 18, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #127 of 129
I'm chiming in to report that my IE 400 Pros drivers have separated from the housing. I was trying to remove an ear tip and it just popped out with ease as if it wasn't even glued together. Then, purely out of curiosity, I pulled with just a tiny bit of force on the other bud and sure enough, that one popped right out as well. I took some superglue and put them back together and they still work fine, but sheesh. It felt like they weren't even glued together.

Feb 18, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #128 of 129
They're gonna be pretty different sounding. The 400 has more lush laid-back sound in the upper mid/lower treble range that may bother some people, but it doesn't bother me. The IE 600 mostly follows the harmon curve, but is slightly different. I can't tell you which one you'll like better.

I haven't personally heard the IE 600, but I'm very satisfied with how the IE 400 Pro sounds. I also like the connector a lot better too as MMCX is kinda fragile whereas the pentaconn ear seem more sturdy and have a stronger connection (doesn't spin as freely as MMCX).
I'm interested in the overall sound of Sennheiser IEMs. I'm trying to find a good pro-level IEM and I just tried the Shure SE535 - terrible for me, with a peaky/sibilant treble, recessed vocals and no vocal warmth. Very fatiguing. I'm looking for something balanced, something that is neutral but does a good job conveying natural warmth in the recording.

What is the harmon curve?

Do you think I might like any of the Sennheiser Pro IEMs?

Oh, I don't recall how the Sennheiser HD800 became my avatar, but I don't like the analytical sound of them. I'm more into the Sennheiser HD600 sound, and I even like their under $100 headphone before I lost it.. can't remember what it's called. The HD600 aren't quite extended enough to be perfect... I would like an IEM that's very extended on top but not bright.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #129 of 129
I'm interested in the overall sound of Sennheiser IEMs. I'm trying to find a good pro-level IEM and I just tried the Shure SE535 - terrible for me, with a peaky/sibilant treble, recessed vocals and no vocal warmth. Very fatiguing. I'm looking for something balanced, something that is neutral but does a good job conveying natural warmth in the recording.

What is the harmon curve?

Do you think I might like any of the Sennheiser Pro IEMs?

Oh, I don't recall how the Sennheiser HD800 became my avatar, but I don't like the analytical sound of them. I'm more into the Sennheiser HD600 sound, and I even like their under $100 headphone before I lost it.. can't remember what it's called. The HD600 aren't quite extended enough to be perfect... I would like an IEM that's very extended on top but not bright.
The IE 400 are more v-shaped than neutral but the treble isn’t too harsh to my ears the the vocals are warm (maybe even too warm where they might sound slightly muffled or veiled). That said, my ears quickly adjust and it’s fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back