Sennheiser IE 40 Pro and IE 100 Pro
May 25, 2021 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Starbound

100+ Head-Fier
Any owners of these IEMs? The IE 100 Pro just came out a couple of months ago, and I am wondering if anyone can compare it to the IE 40 Pro. Is it basically the same as the IE 40 Pro (same driver and build), except with a different connector?

Any general opinions on both of these? I have heard some contradictory remarks about the IE 40 Pro, so it would be great to know what actual owners in here think.

May 29, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #2 of 4
I haven't tried the IE40 Pro but do have the IE100 Pro as my EDC.

They do everything quite well but don't excel at anything IMO. This could be translated to a safe and fairly "flat" response. The upper mids can sound a tad light/thin at times for me and trebles can be edging on the side of splashy but never really causes any trouble (unless you ditch the stock tips with the foam inside them).

The robust build, size, decent cable, small case make them an ideal EDC, bedtime, motorbike helmet option for me.

That doesn't help much but I'm not well versed in reviewing but I do hope someone will use their experience to properly review these as I think they've gone largely unnoticed.

Jun 4, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 4
I haven't tried the IE40 Pro but do have the IE100 Pro as my EDC.

They do everything quite well but don't excel at anything IMO. This could be translated to a safe and fairly "flat" response. The upper mids can sound a tad light/thin at times for me and trebles can be edging on the side of splashy but never really causes any trouble (unless you ditch the stock tips with the foam inside them).

The robust build, size, decent cable, small case make them an ideal EDC, bedtime, motorbike helmet option for me.

That doesn't help much but I'm not well versed in reviewing but I do hope someone will use their experience to properly review these as I think they've gone largely unnoticed.
Thank you for your thoughts on this. I think I came across some of your other posts. You also have the IE300, correct? But decided to keep the IE100 because they were so good? I don't care for V-Shape signatures, I like a more balanced timbre, and prefer Diffuse Field to that abomination called Harman Curve.

Experiences with headphones are subjective by nature, so I am going to take your comment that the IE100 "do everything quite well but don't excell at anything" as a compliment in the sense that they must be relatively neutral. Do you have any headphones that you can compare them to?

And one more question, how is the soundstage? Is it flat like many IEMs, or is there some depth to the sound?

The bottom line is that I am not looking to buy a new headphone, but I need a neutral IEM with nice soundstage to round out my needs.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #4 of 4
It would say comparing them to the IE300 that they definitely present a more gentle U shape than V shape sound. Overall tonality is lighter but with slightly more perceived emphasis on mids and vocals. Where the IE300 I could describe as more honey like, the IE100Pros are a little more fizzy. Strange thing is I sense sibilance creeping in more on the IE300's where the 100's don't have a problem. Subbass is still present on the 100's and lower/mid bass isn't elevated. Soundstage/headstage for me doesn't have a lot of width or depth but the height is there. They are quite revealing though separation isn't quite as precise as I'd like, possibly due to the limited soundstage.

They're not going to blow you away and I'm not sure if they'll be an upgrade at all to the IE40's but they're so easy to live with and cheap enough not to worry too much about them.

Yoy could try them and take advantage of Sennheiser's 60 day return policy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back