Sennheiser headband and ear pads
Feb 27, 2015 at 10:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

wgb113

100+ Head-Fier
This might have been asked in specific model's thread but I wanted input from all of you HD580/600/650 owners as to whether or not you think the deterioration of the foam is due to:

A) Age of pad
B) Use of pad

Basically I'm wondering if I were to buy a brand new pair of HD650s today, would I be okay ordering replacement pads today as well to have them on-hand when needed or am I better off (if the answer is "A") waiting until I actually need them to purchase?

Bill

Feb 27, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #2 of 6
I own a pair of HD 518's, almost 2 years in now, and the earpads are torn. Granted, they're not of the same quality as the velour earpads in the 558 and 598, but they're torn.

They're only marginally less comfortable, but they're a bit of an eyesore. Nevertheless I'm still looking to buy a replacement now, just incase it deteriorates further gets too uncomfortable one day.

As for your case, I'd say to hold the purchase until you notice damage. Maybe you had taken better care of it (compared to me), it would last.

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 6
I have had the hd580 now for about 12 years, the velour pads are still very good, . Then again I have loads of headphones, so these not had that much use, ...But this is about to change, ....lol........Also my other quality headphones the Grado 325i pads have jyst been renewed, luckt I bought a pair at the same time I bought the phones...the price seems to have held, about the same...But you might find some original pads may increase in price....So if you can afford it pick up a spare pair , you may even get a deal..... my grado pads went because of age not use.....?

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #4 of 6
The deterioration of the foam earpads is due to both use and age but mostly usage of the headphones compresses the earpad material which eventually stays compressed. I would wait until you need to replace the earpads. They are very expensive for the HD580/600/650 series and seem like a bit of a con until you realise that Sennheiser designed the headphones and the earpads also. The distance your ear is away from the driver is critical and as the foam compresses this changes the frequency balance of the headphones by reducing the bass amount. I underestimated the importance of earpads for years thinking they were just for comfort and should only be replaced when worn out. This is completely wrong. The earpads are an important part of the headphone's design. One thing that is essential with any headphone is that the earpads are not too compressed on your head (ie the headband isn't exerting too much pressure). Also when stored ensure the earpads aren't being compressed. To relive pressure if the headphones are too tight on the HD580/600/650 line do not attempt to bend the headband or else the plastic will crack/snap. To relieve pressure detach the earcup assembly from the headband and gently bend the metal outward until they exert less pressure on your head. If the headphones are too tight not only will they be uncomfortable but the rather expensive earpads will need to be replaced much sooner.

Feb 27, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #5 of 6
^^^that's kind of what I was thinking and I would think that the headband pad would wear out quicker since it seems like it's a softer foam.

The reasons I was thinking about picking up spares now is:

1) The models are all over a decade old...not sure how much longer they'll (or they're replacement parts) will be in production.
2) Their prices keep going up on the replacements.

Bill

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #6 of 6
I doubt getting spares for previous flagship models will be a problem. Sennheiser still support their HD414 model from the 1960s. You can buy non-genuine replacements from China for less but whether these sound exactly the same will not be certain. I think Sennheiser will keep supplying spares especially for their highly regarded models because it is worth their while to do so. I forgot to mention in my earlier post that in order to completely remove the earcups you need to remove the tabs at the ends of the headband. This can be done using an old credit card to prise the tabs. Then fully extend the curved metal insert and then detach. You can then gently bend the insert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back