Sennheiser HE60 recabling
Dec 31, 2007 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Anders

1000+ Head-Fier
I use my HE60 with a preliminary adapter and should find a better solution long term. Recabling could be a better alternative than an adapter and there are options at Headphile, Moon Audio and certainly others too. What is your experience of recabling?

Does recabling improve sound and how?

I think I read something about that cable capacitance affects the sound of electrostats? Anyone knows anything about the capacitance of the stock and other cables, as Stax cable.

Dec 31, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #2 of 22
Not sure about the technical details, but I will say that if I ever get my hands on an HE60 and need it reterminated, Alex at Apuresound would be the only way to go.

Perhaps you could also email him regarding the technical details? He has had quite a lot of experience with electrostat recabling; in particular, the HE60.

Dec 31, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 22
I'm certain that the Stax Wide PC-OCC cable is better then what Sennheiser used and that is really the only upgrade path. None of the usual upgrade cables will work due the very different operating principle. It's easy to install a new plug on the stock cable if you are good with a soldering iron or DIY in general.

Dec 31, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 22
spritzer, thanks for the suggestion of the Stax cable. I had the same thought but I don't know where to buy the headphone cable, I have only seen the extension cable. I assume it could be modified but then you have to make a stable and good looking split at the head end.
Of course, I could slaughter my SR-404 to get the cable.
biggrin.gif

My other doubt is about opening the HE-60, not the soldering issue but I feel uncomfortable with electrostatic drivers and know they are very sensitive to damage. Probably this is not a problem, only to find the connection points, disconnect the old cable and solder the new.

Dec 31, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #6 of 22
Having opened up my HE60 before (pretty easy IMO), I can say that completely recabling the HE60 looks to be a plausible option however delicate the procedure may be. I too would go to Alex of APS for advice or employ his services since he seems to have a good understanding of both general cable making and also of electrostatic headphones.

Dec 31, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders /img/forum/go_quote.gif
spritzer, thanks for the suggestion of the Stax cable. I had the same thought but I don't know where to buy the headphone cable, I have only seen the extension cable. I assume it could be modified but then you have to make a stable and good looking split at the head end.
Of course, I could slaughter my SR-404 to get the cable.
biggrin.gif

Might be worth sending an email to EIFL (or similar), asking if they can get a hold of a replacement SR-007BL, A or MKII cable. Cause they are black and would probably match the HE60 better than the brown SR-404 one..

It would also be great if someone could create a replacement for the cable split stopper on the wide Stax cable. Cause then we could easily use an extension cable and make it look close to stock.
wink.gif

Dec 31, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

I use my HE60 with a preliminary adapter and should find a better solution long term. Recabling could be a better alternative than an adapter and there are options at Headphile, Moon Audio and certainly others too. What is your experience of recabling?

Does recabling improve sound and how?

I think I read something about that cable capacitance affects the sound of electrostats? Anyone knows anything about the capacitance of the stock and other cables, as Stax cable.

As far as I know, there has been NO ONE who has actually A-B'd stock HE60 vs. HE60 with a stax cable. In fact, I don't know of any HE60 that has been recabled with Stax cable (not just plug).

Just as with any change, you must consider the possibility you may even prefer the HE60 cable to Stax cable sound-wise depending on your tastes. No one knows for sure...

Jan 1, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #9 of 22
For starters the HE60 cable is horrible and the only thing it has going for it is its light weight. There is so little actual wire inside so the cable could be compared to the original Stax flat cable. Despite this I don't think the difference would be huge and not really worth sacrificing the HE60 drivers if something goes wrong.

Jan 1, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #10 of 22
The current (preliminary) connection can too easily be disconnected when the cable is pulled. How about hardwiring the HE60 cable to a bit of Stax extension cable with a Stax amplifier plug? Doesn't look very nice but I can do that in minutes.

Jan 1, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

The current (preliminary) connection can too easily be disconnected when the cable is pulled. How about hardwiring the HE60 cable to a bit of Stax extension cable with a Stax amplifier plug? Doesn't look very nice but I can do that in minutes.

You can also just order a Stax plug from Allied and use that. It's easy to rewire them and the pin out is the same as the He90 so you can use the information in the service manual that is floating around on the web.

Jan 2, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as I know, there has been NO ONE who has actually A-B'd stock HE60 vs. HE60 with a stax cable. In fact, I don't know of any HE60 that has been recabled with Stax cable (not just plug).

Just as with any change, you must consider the possibility you may even prefer the HE60 cable to Stax cable sound-wise depending on your tastes. No one knows for sure...

I may have had the only HE60 with a Stax Cable. It was the HE60 with modified grills and wood (ala HE90) - Headphile modded. Anyway, I tested this headphone out against the standard HE60 cable. They sounded almost identical. Almost since there may have been a difference, but it was ever so slight (compared to other recables I have heard).

Neil

Jan 2, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may have had the only HE60 with a Stax Cable. It was the HE60 with modified grills and wood (ala HE90) - Headphile modded. Anyway, I tested this headphone out against the standard HE60 cable. They sounded almost identical. Almost since there may have been a difference, but it was ever so slight (compared to other recables I have heard).

Neil

Hmm. Did Larry make more than one woodied HE60? I have it right now, and it looks like this.

img2308ur9.jpg

Are you saying the cable on this HE60 is Stax, or just the plug ??

Jan 3, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Neil

Then would it be fair to say that re-terminating with a Stax plug would make an even more minuscule impact on the sound?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm. Did Larry make more than one woodied HE60? I have it right now, and it looks like this.

img2308ur9.jpg

Are you saying the cable on this HE60 is Stax, or just the plug ??

Looks like the stock cable to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got a question...Why not just use XLR plugs? They make 6-pin XLR plugs and whatnot.

I'd rather not have to rely on a proprietary plug.

Just a question...

Interesting thought. A 6-pin DIN plug would work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back