Sennheiser HE-1 (Orpheus) Demonstration (Chicago)!
Sep 22, 2016 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BlackstoneJD

100+ Head-Fier
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

FYI,

Audio Consultants - Chicago is hosting a demonstration of the Sennheiser HE-1 electrostatic headphone system. This is the successor to the famous "Orpheus" system. I believe the MSRP is north of $50,000. The event is on Tuesday September 27, 2016. I think you need to make an appointment to hear it and not many time slots are left. I am not sure to what extent you can access it without an appointment.
There is going to be a lot of other Sennheiser stuff on hand as well.

I think it might be the first North American demonstration. The event is at the Chicago store but I think you need to call the Evanston store for an appointment.

I can't make it because I am just too busy at the office that week--otherwise I would totally be there just to brag about hearing it and troll the forums about it!

Sep 23, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #2 of 5
Yes. If you do not call 847-864-9565 and make an appointment, you will be able to get in the store and look around an listen to other Sennheiser products, but you will not be able to listen to the HE-1. As of this posting there are 10 slots open.

Here is the invite we sent to our newsletter subscribers:

We invite you to an exclusive presentation of the world's finest headphone system, the HE-1 by Sennheiser.  Consisting of an electrostatic headphone and a tube-based DAC/AMP enclosed in Carrera marble, the HE-1 transcends normal expectations of the headphone listening experience.

In addition to the HE-1, Sennheiser will be displaying a variety of their other high-end products.

The event will take place at our 910 West Randolph location on Tuesday, September 27, from 5pm to 10pm.

You can drop by any time, but if you would like a personal demonstration of this remarkable system you must schedule a listening session by calling us at 847-864-9565.

Food and refreshments by Rick Bayless' Cruz Blanca.

Valet parking provided.  

www.audioconsultants.com 

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #3 of 5
I lied. I am going!

Sep 28, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #4 of 5
I did hear this system last night for a few minutes. It was a strange experience. It is hard to describe the difference between this system and the dynamic headphones I am used to. It was very different. It was a more well rounded, bigger presentation than you would expect from a headphone. Astonishingly clean and quiet sounding, but not cold or analytical. Build quality and comfort was second to none. I dislike the HD800, but this is a totally different animal. Probably the best headphone I have ever heard in just about every department.

It succeeds as a tech demo. I would like to see them break off the headphone and amp away from the marble base and onboard dac and implement the core technology at a price point that is more attainable. It proves that they can build a great electrostat but they can't develop, market and sell a system for less than $55,000? Great, but a bit pretentious.

It does make me wonder about other electrostatic phones and whether I have been missing something. It really was quite good. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back