Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Jun 6, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #2,086 of 3,016
If I get, I will probably pay $99 for the custom paint :)

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #2,087 of 3,016
I think custom paint HD800 will be much better than the HDVD800.

I think it looks fine as what it is.

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #2,089 of 3,016
If that's your setup congrats, if you haven't tried the balanced outs, I highly encourage you to try because it's like an entirely different amp much much better sounding from balanced.

Jun 14, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #2,090 of 3,016
If that's your setup congrats, if you haven't tried the balanced outs, I highly encourage you to try because it's like an entirely different amp much much better sounding from balanced.

+1

Jun 14, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #2,091 of 3,016
Some amps are just made to sound balanced out better.
Even if you input SE the amp is better balance out
There is no doubt in this.
Al

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #2,092 of 3,016
Has anyone tried the HD800 with both the HDVD 800 and the Burson Conductor?  There is no local availability to hear HDVD 800 but I did hear the Conductor with my HD800s.  I am strongly considering the Sennheiser amp but the Conductor sounded very good, better than what I am using now.  It was revealing.  One SACD sounded better than ever before.  One older Telarc sounded worse than with mine, two others were maybe a tad 5% better. 

Since both these amps have good feedback data with HD 800 cans, I just wonder if anyone out there has had experience with both, and can share their experience.

Also how much of a difference does the balanced connection make over the regular 1/4" phono jack connection? 

Any input will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #2,093 of 3,016
Is the burson conductor a amp or amp DAC combo ?

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #2,095 of 3,016
Ok allow me to give you some advice. But please do not take this as a must do. The amp in the hdvd800 is very good about as good as it gets for the hd800 headphone. But the DAC is just a DAC and as it does ok it's just that just ok . Know the amp and headphones I sway beyond ok. So they reviel all the bad or in good about the DAC . For me buy the burson or the hdvd 600 but the amps. Are great not the combo. Next sabre dacs as whole just do not sound as musical as lets say a hugo or DS. A good thing to do would be by a hugo as it has a really good DAC nd the amp,is damn good too . The combo is way above the combo of either one you mention. And the price is about what you are about to spend.
lol up the hugo thread . I won all I have just spoken about and some other high end stuff as well. Do what you wish but read up on what I am recommending .
Enjoy what ever you do buy though .
Al

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #2,096 of 3,016

I would like an all in one Amp/DAC unit.  I know some people have issues with the DAC in the HDVD800.  I figure if I don't like it, I can use the Burr Brown out in my Denon and probably get what I like.  I also have an Oppo 95 with a Sabre chip DAC but it is a bit bass shy, although very detailed.  The Sabre DAC in the Burson was very detailed and the experience was not bass shy.  I am thinking some other component in the Oppo output stage is to blame.  I haven't heard about Hugo, or DC. 
Will have to research them.  Thanks for your input. 

Plus, if I don't like the DAC in the HDVD800 I can always get another DAC later and plug it into the line.  I am mainly looking for someone who has used both units with HD800s and can give me feedback based on real experience with both.  While cost in a consideration it is not going to be a deal breaker if I have to spend a bit more than $2000 to get what I consider acceptable ROI.  If it cost me another 500+ or so, well, that is what it will take.  I just don't want to spend a bunch of bucks to buy something I won't be happy with.

Thanks and bye.................

Bill

Jul 3, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #2,097 of 3,016
I would like an all in one Amp/DAC unit.  I know some people have issues with the DAC in the HDVD800.  I figure if I don't like it, I can use the Burr Brown out in my Denon and probably get what I like.  I also have an Oppo 95 with a Sabre chip DAC but it is a bit bass shy, although very detailed.  The Sabre DAC in the Burson was very detailed and the experience was not bass shy.  I am thinking some other component in the Oppo output stage is to blame.  I haven't heard about Hugo, or DC. 

Will have to research them.  Thanks for your input. 

Plus, if I don't like the DAC in the HDVD800 I can always get another DAC later and plug it into the line.  I am mainly looking for someone who has used both units with HD800s and can give me feedback based on real experience with both.  While cost in a consideration it is not going to be a deal breaker if I have to spend a bit more than $2000 to get what I consider acceptable ROI.  If it cost me another 500+ or so, well, that is what it will take.  I just don't want to spend a bunch of bucks to buy something I won't be happy with.

Thanks and bye.................

Bill

Hi Bill I also struggled with exactly what your going through and in the end decided on the HDVD800 for some of the reasons you mentioned.
I love he Senn for its footprint and aesthetics and also for the fact that Senn voiced it with HD800. Listen later on if the DAC doesn't perform to your standards you can always buy a separate DAC.
I was lucky and timing was impeccable so I was able to pickup a Perfectwave DAC for a stupid price and love the combo, and if the DAC goes bad I still have the built in one. I
haven't looked back.

Jul 3, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #2,098 of 3,016
Has anyone tried the BHA-1? How do you guys think it compares against the HDVA 600 / HDVD 800?

Jul 3, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #2,099 of 3,016
Apologies if this should go elsewhere but I am about to pull the trigger on the HD 800's and the Oppo PM-1's. My decision is whether to pair them with the HDVD800 or the Oppo HA-1. I am looking for a combination DAC/AMP for reasons of cost and convenience but am prepared to get a separate DAC later down the line if I feel it necessary.

I appreciate the HA-1 and HDVD800 may perform better in different areas with one DAC preferable and the other AMP. I also get they are very different phones and are likely to pair with their corresponding Amp/DAC and I expect the HD800's to get about 60% of my listening time. I do have the Oppo 103 BR player that I use for CD's and I expect to be good with the same dac implemented in the HA-1.

Any thoughts and or advice most welcome. Cheers

Jul 7, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #2,100 of 3,016
tonight I found a good reason to use an external DAC with this amp........ the Gain switch. By having access to the gain switch i can turn it down to its minimum and have more accurate control on volume. I was restricted on the default gain and very small movements with the volume made big differences , now on minimum I have more scope to find a perfect volume. just thought I would share my findings. James.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back