Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Aug 27, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #1,441 of 3,016
my cable arrived~
thanks custom-cable

Aug 27, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #1,444 of 3,016
I think I ordered the cable in the first week it was preordable, still a damn shame it took sennheiser that long. Impressions probably later, but I am not that good in describing audio :x. It just sounds better to my ears.

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #1,445 of 3,016
I ordered the cable back in early May. Feels surreal that it might actually drop by in the mail soon. I'm detecting a pattern with Sennheiser for all the products they produce in-house in Germany. Has any of them been released at the time they were announced? To be fair I guess it's better to be slow and do things properly rather than rush things out the door.

Aug 28, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #1,448 of 3,016
Does anybody know if Sennheiser has fixed the problem the amplifier had with high definition files? It is a bit pathetic if they have not. I am holding out on a purchase in the hope that Sennheiser will announce a firmware update or a unit recall or something

Perhaps one of the Sennheiser marketing guys who posted in this thread can help us!

Thanks 

Pedro

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #1,449 of 3,016
Quote:
Does anybody know if Sennheiser has fixed the problem the amplifier had with high definition files? It is a bit pathetic if they have not. I am holding out on a purchase in the hope that Sennheiser will announce a firmware update or a unit recall or something

Perhaps one of the Sennheiser marketing guys who posted in this thread can help us!

Thanks 

Pedro

As far as I know, it is NOT fixed yet, and it IS pathetic...

If I remember correctly (It was a few weeks back) someone from inside Sennheiser posted that the firmware fix should be available by sometime in September. If Sennheiser is consistent with all of the other significant dates they've made public in the last couple years, the fix might not actually show up until next year some time. It has already been many weeks since they announced their intent to fix the problem, I hope they actually achieve the planned date this time.

In spite of the fact that I very much enjoy listening to the HDVD800, It really annoys me how casual and non-caring Sennheiser corporate seems to be with their customers. I challenge you to go into ANY Sennheiser distributor and ask them if Sennheiser has made them aware of the problems with their DAC in the HDVD800. I doubt that you will find any. Ask them if they know that the advertised digital speeds that the HDVD800 can work at are lies (maximum TOSLINK and SPDIF speeds without sync problems are only half of what is advertised everywhere including Sennheiser's own Web site).

The Sennheiser dealer that I bought from says that when they ask their Sennheiser representatives about these things, they never get any responses from them, or the reps say that they never heard of such things. Go to the Sennheiser sponsor page on these forums and look there. Any current news of interest to folks here who have already purchased flawed products? Nope, not even a peep acknowledging that they have issues and are preparing a fix.

With due respect, we do have an individual related to Sennheiser who has posted once or twice in recent months in this thread with some info regarding these issue. Also Frank I has passed on to us what little information that they sent to him, but he had to drag it out of them requesting it 3 or 4 times before finally getting a response. Without that, we would know nothing and could only assume that nothing was being done to fix issues. 

I suppose Sennheiser has a service center in the US somewhere for warranty handling. I wonder if they are informed of any of this stuff...

- Jeff

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #1,450 of 3,016

Thanks 

Pedro
thr the 4th of September is when u can download the update 2 fix the hi res problem.

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #1,451 of 3,016
Quote:

rsung,

For what it is worth, I can't think of any reason at all that you will not see an improvement with the balanced configuration with the same exact headphone cables.

In any event, If I were in your position, chomping at the bit to hear the differences (and I would be, trust me! 
tongue_smile.gif
) Just have someone competent at working with cables cut the jack off of your existing headphone cable, leaving a short tail of cable 8 to 10 inches on the jack. Then install a 4 pin male XLR on the headphone cable and a 4 pin female XLR on the 8 inch tail to the original 1/4 inch jack using the wiring pinouts documented in the HDVD800 manual. Now you have the ability to use BOTH balanced and unbalanced and it should only cost you 2 XLR connectors ($12-$20 cost total) and the labor to terminate just 2 cables (20-30 minutes total).

Now the adapter will also look the same as the headphone cable (if you are at all concerned with looks 
bigsmile_face.gif
 In fact, if you are, make sure that they use the all black Neutrix connectors and not the nickel plated ones).

And you will be able to immediately A-B compare the 1/4 inch jack and XLR outputs of the HDVD800 by simply moving the one male XLR connector on your headphone cable between the XLR connector on the HDVD800 and the XLR connector on your new adaptor (which you just leave plugged into the HDVD800 unbalanced jack all the time)

Easier than what you were planning and you can start on it today instead of waiting for cables to show up. Sennheiser seems to have a long history of getting stuff on the shelves much later than they advertise sometimes. After all, weren't the HDVD800s supposed to have originally been on the selves last September or earlier? They didn't really start showing up until May...

- Jeff

I need to make an additional comment here. There is a very good possibility (I'm looking into it right now) that BOTH the stock headphone cords for the HD800 and the T1 use Litz wire. This stuff is much trickier to work with and if not terminated correctly can degrade your sound. If you are re-terminating a stock HD800 or T1 headphone cable, the person doing so needs to have experience working with fine Litz wire.

Aug 29, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #1,452 of 3,016
Quote:

I need to make an additional comment here. There is a very good possibility (I'm looking into it right now) that BOTH the stock headphone cords for the HD800 and the T1 use Litz wire. This stuff is much trickier to work with and if not terminated correctly can degrade your sound. If you are re-terminating a stock HD800 or T1 headphone cable, the person doing so needs to have experience working with fine Litz wire.

Nope apparently, only stock copper is used these so standard soldering techniques shouldn't be an issue if you want to attempt any of these yourself.

Aug 31, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #1,455 of 3,016
after listening 2 the balance Cable 4 about 4 days,there's no doubt in my mind,that ur getting a very big jump in sound quality.this is headphone heaven,the final piece of the puzzle.if u own the hdvd 800 and the hd800s,I can say,buying the CH 800S balance cable is a must,be prepared 2 be amazed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back