Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Aug 12, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #1,381 of 3,016
Quote:
Is there a 3rd party alternative to this? It is mighty expensive at £250, an outrage even

There is a easy way, just take the stock HD 800 cable, remove the 1/4" plug and put XLR on there. If you can't do it yourself let some audio store do it for you.
You'll get the same cable that Senn sells for £250, the only difference is that your XLR connector is different.

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #1,382 of 3,016
This may have been covered in this thread, but I could not find it. Is it possible to use a SACD player and digital cables (of any variety), that will allow the Sennheiser to make the D/A conversion of the high resolution SACD layer? Or do I have depend on the quality of the SACD player and use the analogue inputs? In that case I might as well go for the HDVD 600 and save the money since I won't be using a computer for the majority of my listening.

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #1,384 of 3,016
This may have been covered in this thread, but I could not find it. Is it possible to use a SACD player and digital cables (of any variety), that will allow the Sennheiser to make the D/A conversion of the high resolution SACD layer? Or do I have depend on the quality of the SACD player and use the analogue inputs? In that case I might as well go for the HDVD 600 and save the money since I won't be using a computer for the majority of my listening.

There are workarounds if you want to buy more gear, but the simple answer is that you have to use the SACD player analog output.

Aug 18, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #1,385 of 3,016
has anyone got a release date 4 the 4 pin balance cable?its been up now 4 about 3 months and still no sign of it,sennheiser r really letting themselves down about the Fix 4 the dac and the release of the balance cable. Senn tell us what's happening,it's just not good enough from a company like u,has anyone got the balance silver poison cable from toxic cables, if u have could u please let me know what u think of it,thanks

Aug 18, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #1,387 of 3,016
Quote:
has anyone got a release date 4 the 4 pin balance cable?its been up now 4 about 3 months and still no sign of it,sennheiser r really letting themselves down about the Fix 4 the dac and the release of the balance cable. Senn tell us what's happening,it's just not good enough from a company like u,has anyone got the balance silver poison cable from toxic cables, if u have could u please let me know what u think of it,thanks

The official cable sennheiser is releasing is identical to the stock one for the HD800. Why not reterminate that cable at a cost of $6, or buy a better quality cable from a builder that will cost you $150-$200? 

Sennheiser is literally taking their current cable, putting a new end on it and charging a lot of cash in the process. 

Aug 19, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #1,388 of 3,016
Quote:

The official cable sennheiser is releasing is identical to the stock one for the HD800. Why not reterminate that cable at a cost of $6, or buy a better quality cable from a builder that will cost you $150-$200? 

Sennheiser is literally taking their current cable, putting a new end on it and charging a lot of cash in the process. 

This ! I can tolerate sub-£100 pricing but £250 is just too much

Aug 19, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #1,389 of 3,016
I just got a nice 4 pin balanced cable for my HD 800 from Forza Audioworks - they have nice cables in a few different price ranges and ship very quickly.

Aug 19, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #1,392 of 3,016
Quote:
I just got a nice 4 pin balanced cable for my HD 800 from Forza Audioworks - they have nice cables in a few different price ranges and ship very quickly.

Thanks for the info, Kendoji, the Forza Audioworks site looks interesting!
smile.gif

A noob question for anyone here... Instead of buying a whole new cable with a 4-pin XLR connector for my HD800 to replace the current cable that has the 1/4" connector, can I buy an extender cable like this, which has a 1/4" socket on one end and a 4-pin XLR male connector on the other? Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back